• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our Defensive speed vs. Their Offensive speed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

USF's defense do well with finesse offenses. Now if WVU come out in a I formation with 2 TE's. That would scare me. No matter what they do, I feel we should win this game.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  69
  • Days Won:  0

if selvie keeps doing what he's been doing pat white will be on the ground all night

• Content Count:  1,260

Speed-wise we match up well...but it's about more than just that. For those who follow the NFL, it's like when Barry Sanders or Mike Vick used to play. The defense has to be disciplined, not get blown away at the point of attack and maybe most importantly....stay in their lanes. Between Slaton, White, and Devine..they have the ability to turn the game into a pin-ball game if there is overpursuit.

One thing that I'm interested in seeing are the schemes we'll use. We may end up seeing alot of single man coverage on their receivers....sneaking the safeties up in the box like during the second half at Auburn. Jenkins and Williams may need IV's at halftime because they'll be earning their keep this week.

• Content Count:  86

This is an interesting topic that will be the focus on many discussions this week. So, I figure I'll chime in.

Offensively, WVU is better than last year, obviously White and Slaton, but this year add in Devine and Renault as well. Many teams (us included) felt if you can get Pat White to throw the ball, you have a chance to win. I always felt he had a good arm, but the problem was WR's dropped the ball. 

Football 101 says, if you come across a team with a strong/speedy defense, you can usually catch them overpursueing or get them on a reverse/screen.  I expect this will be WVU's philosphy for battling USF.  USF is going to have to do a great job disguising their schemes against WVU, as I would expect that WVU will have three main audibles, a WR screen, a halfback pass and a HB cutback ISO.

WVU is hardly unstoppable though, USF which as I mentioned before tends to overpursue the QB, has to play a containment defense, that basically means, keeping the game in front of them, and always knowing where the ball is. I expect USF to have some solid defensive audibles in the lines of Safety Blitzs,  even with the speed of Renauld and his god given ability, he's going to struggly against Williams and Jenkins height and speed. 

What USF does against Brian Schmidt is going to be the toughest part to gameplan for, I'm not sure how you stop him outsiding of him fumbling.

Overall though, I do think USF's defense matches up with the WVU nicely. Make no mistake though, WVU has a lot more room for error than USF. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  165

the best defense is a ball control offense. I we can grind out long possessions and control the game clock, our well rested defense in front of a very loud crowd will contain WVUs offense

Also PLEASE change the title of this thread to THEIR offense

• Content Count:  4,451

Defense must maintain gap responsibilities/tackling lanes.  Mike Jenkins is USF's answer to the WVU long run.  Speed wise he can hang with the three WVU runners (including Devine as the 3rd).  Also the fastest safeties will need to get most of the downs on D.  If this D can keep the 'Neer to 24 pts USF has a great opportunity to show the nation the college football in the city of Tampa is for real.  All I know for sure is that someone will be burning furniture late Friday nite hopefully 'cuz their pissed, not overjoyed.

Mike has a good point too.  Keeping the WVU O off the field will be an important aspect of the game.  If that three back set is successful, the WVU front 7 will be sore come Saturday morn.

• Content Count:  4,642

i think everyone on the team is pumped up like crazy for this game.  they will be focused and will come out swinging

• Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

That Noel Devine guy is wicked.  It's got to be nice to have him in the bank coming up behind the guys they have now. 

I think this will be a good test for our D and it will really put things in perspective in the Big East. 

Remember, no matter what happens, at least we aren't Lousiville.

>:D

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

i think everyone on the team is pumped up like crazy for this game.  they will be focused and will come out swinging

When this team is focused. They are almost unbeatable when they are focused. The Auburn game shouldn't went to overtime. It's the FAU's and the UCF's that scare me when they don't focus. 

• Content Count:  3,103

from watching some highlights of the WVU vs ECU game, i noticed some plays that we ran last year versus WVU.  if that keeps up, we should be fine versus WVU

Archived