• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our Defensive speed vs. Their Offensive speed.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I think the biggest advantage we have over WVU this season is that Rod Smith is on their sideline, and not ours.

That's worth at least 10 points right there.

:D

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Our speed will be key but the most important thing for our D this Friday will be to control the LOS and be just as disruptive as they were last year.  The fact that we wont the battle upfront is what helped us bottle up Slaton and White , we have to give them no cut back lanes and forced them to move laterally and not up the field where our speed can hem them up and we can gang tackle.  Juilmiste, Selvie, and Robinson were disruptive all day and never let the WVU offense get in a rhythm.  If we can win the battle up front again in dominating fashion this game becomes very winnable for us.  Also as Mike G talked about earlier we need to sustain long drives and keep their offense off the field (less total plays less chance of their game breakers breaking one for a big play) and give our defense time to rest to they can stay fresh for all 4qtrs (this is what killed us when they came here 2 years ago, our D gassed in the mid to late 3rds and allowed WVU to put it away with two long runs).  We have to win the battle up front play good assignment football (DE's need to stay home, wouldnt be surprised to see a reverse to Devine from the slot) tackle well, and get off the field to prevent them from wearing us down.  Also i think a big thing that WVU is overlooking is our familiarity with Rod Smith and his tendencies (who couldnt call out what he would run on just about any down and distance).  The defense saw his offense every day in practice last year and don't be surprised to see some great plays that are made because of play recognition.  All in all we need a great Defensive effort out there to take them down im sure the guys will come out breathing fire when we set a new attendance record this Friday night hopefully they just don't let their excitement get them out of position.   

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

re: Rod Smith-- he won't be calling the plays will he? I thought he was just teh QB coach

Guest JulmisteForPrez

re: Rod Smith-- he won't be calling the plays will he? I thought he was just teh QB coach

That's correct.

I think Dozer thought he went there to be the Coordinator, maybe?

No such luck.

Only their QB coach........but hey -- that's better than nothing, and certainly better than having him on our sideline!

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

That's correct.

I think Dozer thought he went there to be the Coordinator, maybe?

No such luck.

Only their QB coach........but hey -- that's better than nothing, and certainly better than having him on our sideline!

DOH!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Rod Smith coaching Pat White... (insert joke here)

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

Our D will be a blanket on them all night. We do the same thing that we pulled of last year - we (might) break the top 10!

Last year we had the surprise advantage - they may have over-looked us.

This year, we have RayJay and an even better defense.  >:D

GO BULLS!

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Rod Smith coaching Pat White... (insert joke here)

Rod:  Now Pat, everyone knows you aren't the most mobile QB.  So what I want you to do is stay in the pocket.

White:  Huh?

Rod:  Yeah...you've got to trust me here.  I know what I'm talking about.

White:  Huh??

Rod:  Pat, if you don't trust my football knowledge, just look at the great offense I put together at USF.

White:  Huh ? ? ?

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Two rules of football:

RULE 1.  The way to beat a good defense is to run right at it (Does WV have the personnel to "go heavy" and run it down our throats?  Auburn's guy Fannin took a couple years off my life until he got the dropsies.)

RULE 2.  When a great offense plays against a great defense, the great defense prevails more times than not (learned that the hard way in Marino and the Mark's Brothers only Superbowl against the Niners).

• Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

our offense and special teams needs to help our D

Pin them deep when possible which will get the crowd LOUD

Limit turnovers..which quiet crowds and cost us points

Last year our d scored a TD and caused a fumble right when they were about to score which is a 14 pt swing

D needs to not only hit hard but make sure guys are arapped up and brought down

Archived