• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tar Heels in Da House......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

Steak - Definitely Bern's and no other.  Ask for a blackened two pound Maine Lobster for an appetizer and also get the Ceasar Salad made tableside.  The lobster is not on the menu but they will make it for you.  Definitely worth the cabbage you will lay down for this meal.  Bon Appetite!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

Although they are chains... you may want to check out Outback, Hooters, and Beef O' Brady's. All of which were started here in Tampa.

Not to nitpick but the original Hooters is on Gulf to Bay in Clearwater; not Tampa

If you drive across the bridge or SR60 and look on your right in Clearwater you will see a Hooters that says "The Original" on the front.

• Content Count:  4,451

Although they are chains... you may want to check out Outback, Hooters, and Beef O' Brady's. All of which were started here in Tampa.

Not to nitpick but the original Hooters is on Gulf to Bay in Clearwater; not Tampa

If you drive across the bridge or SR60 and look on your right in Clearwater you will see a Hooters that says "The Original" on the front.

Former Gator and Dallas Cowboy Crawford Kerr's "Wing House" was also started in St. Pete (I'm pretty sure.) across the bay on 4th Street in St. Pete or Ulmerton in Largo.  IMO they have bigger n better wings than Hooters and the waitresses seem to be more talented but that may just be the particular restaurants I was in back in late winter.  And for the record, the first Hooters was in in Clearwater, the second was on Hillsborough in Tampa and the third was in St. Pete by Tyrone Square Mall on the way to St. Pete Beach or Madiera Beach.  And dessert at Bern's is a must.  It's a great experience.  The steak is very good at Bearn's but not necessarily "all world".  Bern's used to have four fish tanks in the kitchen and the wine cellar is probably the best on the west coast of FL.  If you go make sure you ask for the tour if they still do it.

• Content Count:  420

best ribs: First Choice Southern BBQ (in Brandon), Lee Roy Selmons; Smokey Bones

best steak Charley's Capital Grille

best burgers: J. Alexanders!!! Also Champps in Intl Plaza and Capital Grille Next door, and BJ BRewhouse in Citrus Park Mall

best pizza- BJ's for specialty Pizzas.

best bars Throw a dart and your will be close to one!

best strip joints  Throw a dart close to the stadium and you will find one. I recommend Thee Doll House and Mons Venus, 2001 across the street is good also, but I have not been in ages! My wife will kill me!

FYI...First Choice BBQ is owned by a USF alum!!

• Content Count:  4,451

The real best burgers are at SnL Restaurant in Lakeland on Combee Road.  Its a real local country joint.  Its worth a 45 min ride from Tampa (I4 to the Lakeland express toll).  My wife wanted to go once or twice a month for lunch on Sat when we were still living the Fl life.  BTW they don't serve dinner.  Just breakfast n lunch.

Liborio's in Brandon about a half a mile west of US301 on the north side of Causeway has great and reasonablypriced Cuban food.  Brocado's is pretty good on MLK in east Tampa.  They have a great Cuban sandwich, spanish steak sandwich, roast pork and devil crabs. Yes Bulldoug luv's to grub  ;D.

and if you want good ice cream - good eats on howard has Old Meeting House Ice Cream - thats been on the food network!

and Mise en Place downtown is FABULOUS for lunch on Friday or Saturday Dinner. Marty - the head chef has been on the Today show AND he food network. [glow=yellow,2,300]Every presidential candidate[/glow] has had at least one event there and they just redecorated the place. From there you can tour the HB Plant Museum across the street if you want. Welcome to FL and we hope you have a wonderful time!

Democratic candidates, Belle... the owners of Mise are UBER liberals...

Good breakdown of times in your earlier post... although you forgot to tell them when to hit Mons.  ;)  :D  >:D

• Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

OK, so now I'm starving.

1.) Bern's - bring a jacket, mandatory.

2.) Beef's - The Big Burger is a two fisted monster of a burger.

3.) Columbia Restaraunt - Make reservations.

3-A.) Any little mom and pop Cuban restaraunt will give you all the food you can eat for about $5.00

Order the roast pork with yellow rice and black beans, Cuban toast and plantains( Not sure if I spelled

that correctly). Wash it all down with a cup of cafe con-leche.

4.) IF you make it over to Clearwater - Frenchy's - Grouper sandwhich.

Just my $.04 worth.

GO BULLS!

FINISH STRONG!

• Content Count:  5,691

For Cuban food you can hit La Terisita on Columbus just east of himes which is about 2 blocks from the stadium.

• Content Count:  358

1.) Bern's - bring a jacket, mandatory.

I've been there several times without a jacket.  It's not mandatory.  Just don't dress like a slob.  Business casual is perfectly acceptable.

• Content Count:  358

A lot of this info should be posted as a sticky thread before home games for our visitors. 

I don't know if the mods want to pull out the relevant posts and make it into a new thread?

Maybe change the title to "Things to do when visiting Tampa" or something like that.

Archived