• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Today's Official OCS thread/FAU unveils drawing of stadium

There is more than enough land to build a stadium.  Push the parking to the outskirts like any other big college.  Build a couple garages.  Where there is a will there is a way.  Just have to re-work the master plan :)  Some schools are really good at doing thngs like that.

It's not a question about land.  USF is not about to tear down any buildings to do it... so you're looking "just off campus" someplace like across Fowler Ave, or perhaps on The Claw... or someplace near where I have put it on the photoshopped picture.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

USF OCS discussion in the UCF stadium article in today's Tampa Tribune...

(emphasis added)

There are nine programs in BCS conferences that play in off-campus facilities, including the University of South Florida Bulls, who recently extended their contract with Raymond James Stadium through 2016 (the Bucs retain the first $2 million in profits from parking and concessions at all of the stadium's non-Bucs events, a figure that has never been surpassed at USF games).

An on-campus stadium for USF? It never was under serious consideration when the program was formed in the 1990s. Bulls athletic director Doug Woolard calls it a back-burner issue for the moment, although he visualizes a day when it could happen.

"It's on the radar screen, just like new or improved facilities for several of our sports," Woolard said. "But to get it to fruition, there's the financial piece. Either a big booster or a combination of people gets something like that rolling. We're fortunate to have a beautiful place to play now."

For now, USF accentuates the positives of playing in a comfortable, accessible NFL stadium. Recruits are told they can compete on the same turf that will host Super Bowl XLIII in 2009.

"We play in a big-time place," USF sophomore quarterback Matt Grothe said.

The only thing missing is a surrounding campus.

"I wish there was more green and not so much red [bucs' color] in Raymond James, but what are you going to do?" USF senior communications major Brittany Link said. "I don't think we're missing out. Honestly, I've seen UCF's stadium and it doesn't compare to Raymond James. We've got seatbacks."

"I get a little frustrated when USF has a national TV game and there's that Bucs' flag logo at midfield," said Brandon Faza, a USF graduate now in medical school at Miami. "I commonly tell people if I ever make it big and become rich, I'd donate an on-campus facility to USF and I'd name the field after [Coach] Jim Leavitt. It would do wonders for school spirit. It's something I'm hoping for in the future."

Susan Welsh, a prominent USF booster who served on the school's original football feasibility committee, said she doesn't foresee an on-campus facility for the Bulls - ever.

"We'd never have a better place to play than the one we have right now," Welsh said. "More and more students are coming to the games. There are too many logistical issues - Where's the money? Where's the land? - and we're already in a desirable place."

It's not a bad argument, one based in financial practicality.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

USF OCS discussion in the UCF stadium article in today's Tampa Tribune...

(emphasis added)

There are nine programs in BCS conferences that play in off-campus facilities, including the University of South Florida Bulls, who recently extended their contract with Raymond James Stadium through 2016 (the Bucs retain the first $2 million in profits from parking and concessions at all of the stadium's non-Bucs events, a figure that has never been surpassed at USF games).

An on-campus stadium for USF? It never was under serious consideration when the program was formed in the 1990s. Bulls athletic director Doug Woolard calls it a back-burner issue for the moment, although he visualizes a day when it could happen.

"It's on the radar screen, just like new or improved facilities for several of our sports," Woolard said. "But to get it to fruition, there's the financial piece. Either a big booster or a combination of people gets something like that rolling. We're fortunate to have a beautiful place to play now."

For now, USF accentuates the positives of playing in a comfortable, accessible NFL stadium. Recruits are told they can compete on the same turf that will host Super Bowl XLIII in 2009.

"We play in a big-time place," USF sophomore quarterback Matt Grothe said.

The only thing missing is a surrounding campus.

"I wish there was more green and not so much red [bucs' color] in Raymond James, but what are you going to do?" USF senior communications major Brittany Link said. "I don't think we're missing out. Honestly, I've seen UCF's stadium and it doesn't compare to Raymond James. We've got seatbacks."

"I get a little frustrated when USF has a national TV game and there's that Bucs' flag logo at midfield," said Brandon Faza, a USF graduate now in medical school at Miami. "I commonly tell people if I ever make it big and become rich, I'd donate an on-campus facility to USF and I'd name the field after [Coach] Jim Leavitt. It would do wonders for school spirit. It's something I'm hoping for in the future."

Susan Welsh, a prominent USF booster who served on the school's original football feasibility committee, said she doesn't foresee an on-campus facility for the Bulls - ever.

"We'd never have a better place to play than the one we have right now," Welsh said. "More and more students are coming to the games. There are too many logistical issues - Where's the money? Where's the land? - and we're already in a desirable place."

It's not a bad argument, one based in financial practicality.

Malcolm Glazer is Susan Welsh's daddy.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,577
  • Days Won:  29

Well, I still expect an OCS within 10 years. Investing into a money maker will benefit USF. Demand is growing, but we'll see how things are with the 2008 schedule.

We need more fans that want to see our Beloved BULLS, than just the opponent.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Days Won:  0

With this, I decided to try some photoshopping...

So I took PapaJohn's stadium and put it on the USF campus...

No, I have no inside info that it would be located here... but at least you could see the size of a stadium relative to campus...

both the stadium and the campus were screen captures using Google Maps at the same "zoom" level... so it should be to scale.

You just demolished the varsity tennis courts!  The horror!

LMAO!!!!!!

• Content Count:  84

Why are chairbacks such a hold up with some people?  I just don't get it.

I have been to countless games at Doak Campbell and Ben Hill Griffin...never have I had a chairback.  Those two stadiums are awesome with a true college atmosphere.  Honestly, the games at RJS just seem to have less of that "college" feel when compared to the stadiums at FSU and UF.  Also, the fans at those stadiums stand for much of the game, giving it even more of a college feel.

If you want a chairback, stay at home.  If you want a true college feel, an on campus stadium is the way to go.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If you want a chairback, stay at home.  If you want a true college feel, an on campus stadium is the way to go.

The two are not mutually exclusive.  One could have both.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

True. 

But not at the expense of breaking free from Daddy Glazer.

• Content Count:  84

I understand that, but some people seem really hung up on that.  It would seem to be cost prohibitive to have them, and I just think it's a silly reson to overlook and on campus stadium....for chair backs.

I know FSU, UF, and many other schools make a mint on renting out seat cushions with backs on them to season ticket holders.  Not a bad idea to fill the athletic department's coffers.

• Content Count:  639

It gets very loud with students stomping on bleachers(from my experiences at Doak, Swamp, and last Saturdays's UCF game) creating a great home field advantage vs comfy chair backs; everyone loves it except a 60 year old booster but college football is not about pro style amenities

-UCF offered all season ticket holders to purchase seat cushions that are connected to your seat for the whole season solving the issue if an older fan was to sit and be a little more comfortable if they're are not in the high donor seatback section below the Brighthouse press box

Archived