• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Parking on campus..

PitBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

Will this problem ever alleviate?  I see that they are building a new parking garage on Alumni next to the engineering buildings.. will this help any?  Because the way I see it, we're such a commuter school that it probably won't matter how many parking lots we build because they will all just fill up.

Today, I parked at the mall and took the Bullrunner to school.  It took 20-25 minutes to get to and from my car to class.  Granted, it's the 1st week of classes and parking sucks, but is this the best way to avoid all the B.S. of finding parking spots?  Anyone else have any suggestions if you have class between 10AM-2PM or so when the parking sucks?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Get to campus earlier and hang out on campus some where.

Get to campus earlier and hang out on campus some where.

Sometimes I will get to campus and sleep in my car (aka- pull a David Boston).  I'm just wondering if there will ever be an abundance of parking spaces on campus.  I hear the parking lot south of the Sun Dome doesn't fill (the park and ride lot, i believe).. i'll try that sometime this week.

• Content Count:  296

The park and ride between the credit union and fletcher is usually only about half full, and it seems like the laurel parking garage is too far for most people and usually has empty spaces... Other than that it's pretty much a mad house.

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

Live on campus. I'm a senior and STILL live here. I love it though (other than the price)  ;)

• Content Count:  2,307

It's only because it's the first week of school.  It gets much better after everyone has their schedule figured out.  Much better doesn't mean it's perfect though, parking is still pretty bad.  I always parked at the Sun Dome and just walked, no way I was going to drive around for and extra 30-45 min just to try and get a spot in a garage.

• Content Count:  1,260

Pretty much every major school has parking issues. If you go to UF, a parking decal merely gives you the right to LOOK for parking...and they make no qualms about it. In the end, the school can only build so many spaces. The parking issues on campus are similar to parking issues for people who frequent downtown areas in most major cities: if you don't like looking for parking 1) use alternative transportation 2) live right next to where you work. If the lack of parking ultimately creates a huge demand for on-campus or near-campus housing...that could help further change the "commuter school" image. The situation sucks (I know it did when I was there for undergrad) but if you think about it...it makes sense on a campus with such a large student body.

As an aside, I've always thought that a private land owner in the immediate area could make a killing by offering "alternate cheap" parking....any business minded folks out there??  ;D

• Content Count:  1,532

Before 8am = anywhere

9 to 3 = lucky spots

All day = laurel garage/park and ride (Bullrunner provided here too)

AFTER a few weeks, things change a lot.  I get spaces a lot easier up to around noon most of the time.

The university is trying to build a garage each year... with the "Walnut Drive Parking Facility" (it's new name) being built right now.  This garage will be the largest garage to date with 2,000 spaces, 8 floors, and a cost of $18M.  These garages are supposed add spaces and allow for construction in exisitng surface lots.  I am also "sure" that as soon as we have enough housing, freshmen will be forced to live on campus W/O a car.  This could take another 5 to 10 years though. 

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/FacilitiesPlan/Projects/Project%20Status%20Report_July%202007.pdf

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I know it's a pain to park on campus, but we should be grateful that we can. When I visited UF right out of HS, they said when you buy a parking permit, it doesn't give you the right to park. It gives you the right to hunt for parking. It could be alot worse.

I parked in the Laurel Garage this morning.. very nice, never full-- and only 10 mins walking to the heart of campus.. can't complain  ;D

Archived