• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Two Rbs set

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,482
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah whenever c4 tried to run it, it seemed like he always fumbled.

If I remember right, in the MCCB, he fumbled like twice when replacing Pat.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Yeah whenever c4 tried to run it, it seemed like he always fumbled.

If I remember right, in the MCCB, he fumbled like twice when replacing Pat.

But that was as a true freshman, splitting duty that season at receiver and QB.  Remember he went to PRCC and led them to a National Championship rattling off 9 straight wins at QB and three 250+ yard passing games, after their starter went down, Mike Greco early in the 3rd game, and another receiver fumbled around in the next game or so.  So he can play QB, but Smith never made any QB look real good under him.

Grothe's the man, but it's nice to have an insurance policy not to mention one that can do double duty at WR and QB.  Before moving to QB Carlton Hill also returned two kicks for TD's, and had some serious receiving yards.  If he can reach potential Carlton's an amazing athlete.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

i dont see why c4 can't play QB again.. when he was there, he showed glimpses of Vince Young when lined up in our spread offense.

I don't either.  Let him get in there and be a B Fisher clone.  A few plays at QB, few at RB, few at WR, few at KR/PR.  Everywhere.  Like a "Slash" type player.

I like Grothe as the more natural QB and as a leader, but if Grothe goes down or even as a change of pace, I like Hill a lot.  As a true freshman he didn't play poorly.  I wasn't and still was never concerned about the fumbles in the bowl game.  Both of those fumbles, if I recall correctly were plays where he was pretty much stopped and then tried to make something happen by trying extra.  Typical freshman mistakes. 

I believe his biggest problem was learning the offense.  Grothe is a better QB with better command of the offense, however, Hill brings an even more athletic dimension to the field and can be quite dynamic when he is in there.

If he does not RS this year, he'll be an asset.

• Content Count:  4,016

i dont see why c4 can't play QB again.. when he was there, he showed glimpses of Vince Young when lined up in our spread offense.

I don't either.  Let him get in there and be a B Fisher clone.  A few plays at QB, few at RB, few at WR, few at KR/PR.  Everywhere.  Like a "Slash" type player.

I like Grothe as the more natural QB and as a leader, but if Grothe goes down or even as a change of pace, I like Hill a lot.  As a true freshman he didn't play poorly.  I wasn't and still was never concerned about the fumbles in the bowl game.  Both of those fumbles, if I recall correctly were plays where he was pretty much stopped and then tried to make something happen by trying extra.  Typical freshman mistakes. 

I believe his biggest problem was learning the offense.  Grothe is a better QB with better command of the offense, however, Hill brings an even more athletic dimension to the field and can be quite dynamic when he is in there.

If he does not RS this year, he'll be an asset.

Spot on, and as long as Grothe and Gregory stay healthy we have the luxury of using Hill at other position in much more dynamic fashion.

• Content Count:  1,777

Even though USF mainly used a spread offense the opportunity to put two RBs in that game is a possiblity. Greg Gregory was a coach at Army where used a running attack, I am sure he knows a thing or two.  Overall USF has a lot of potential on offense this season but most of the talent is young.  I would compare the USF offense to a young immature version of the old school FSU offense with Charlie Ward at QB. A mobile quarterback, fast WRs and the ability to run the ball. The key to making it work all about the offensive line.

No doubt you will see continued use of the spread offense.  It is our base offense plus the personnel we have on the offense were recruited because we run the spread.  However, you will see better balance and more effective use of the spread offense and probably see the way it is really supposed to be used properly.

Unlike the last couple of years, the defense will not be able to key on one player.  Two years ago we ran the spread, but without an effective passing game, the opposing D could key on Hall.  Last year, same with Grothe except was able to be a duel threat he was able to make good reads and a lot of good plays. 

This year, I believe, with good options at RB, we will be able to "spread" the defense the way it is supposed to be done creating more options off the read.  I like the way Grothe handles the ball.  However last year, without a running game from the RBs, a play action pass didn't do a lot to freeze the linebackers.  This year, that should change.  Again, giving Grothe more options.  It should be fun to watch.

The big differences I expect from Gregory is the ability to adjust to what the defense throwing at him a little better than what Smith was able to do.  I also expect to see him be able to use what is working to set plays up later in a series or in the game.

• Content Count:  9,038

Dumb question - how did Carlton Hill get "C4" as a nickname?

• Content Count:  1,482

He was number 4...and there were like a bunch of Carltons on the team

And it sounds cool

When he was in high school he wore number 4 as he does now.  He was considered "Explosive"....C4.

Archived