• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Sun Dome to sell naming rights

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,881
  • Days Won:  7

Hello Academic Financial Services Arena.

I like Academic Financial Services Pavilion better

Sun Dome To Get A New Name

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jul 12, 2007

TAMPA - After 27 years, the Sun Dome is getting a name change. And, in turn, a makeover will not be far behind.

Academic Financial Services is nearing a deal to purchase the naming rights to the University of South Florida's on-campus basketball arena.

The deal is expected to be between five and nine years and would be worth $500,000 to $600,000 a year.

Goodbye Sun Dome; Hello Academic Financial Services Arena.

"We're still in negotiations, but it's very close," Academic Financial Services CEO Wayne Morgan said. "I wouldn't say it's a long time away."

Action Sports Media, which was commissioned by the university to sell the naming rights, receives a percentage of the naming rights revenue. The majority, however, goes to USF, which is expected to use it to renovate the Sun Dome.

"I wanted to show our support for Tampa," Morgan said. "This was important for two reasons: being involved in the community as much as I can and supporting the Tampa Bay area as much as I can.

"And secondly, a lot of the investment will be put back into the Sun Dome to improve it. That's what most excited me - the improvement of the Sun Dome."

USF athletic director Doug Woolard was unavailable for comment Wednesday, but he has said in the past the facility would undergo major renovations, including luxury suites and new seats, once funding was acquired.

USF has been trying to sell naming rights for the Sun Dome for the past five years.

"We're excited to get this done and get revenue for the university and put a name on the building," Action Sports general manager Tom Veit said. "I think it's a great deal for the university."

The deal, which could exceed $5 million, is comparable to a recent naming rights deal at South Carolina, where the school received a $5.5 million deal over 12 years to name its basketball facility the Colonial Center.

Academic Financial Services (AFS) is a Tampa-based company with 350 employees that specializes in student loans. Morgan, 36, founded the company in 2003.

Don Hinchey, vice president of communications for the Denver-based Bonham Group, a sports and entertainment marketing firm that analyzes naming right deals, said having a student loan company associated with USF's basketball arena is a good fit.

"That category makes sense to me," Hinchey said. "That's definitely one that could resonate with prospective attendees and fans of the university."

Morgan said although no name has officially been determined for the Sun Dome, the most likely candidates are Academic Financial Services Arena, Academic Financial Services Center or Academic Financial Services Pavilion.

In the late 1970s when the Sun Dome was being constructed, then WFLA-AM radio host Jack Harris held a contest to name the facility, which opened in 1980.

There were nearly 600 entries, and a committee narrowed it to five - Sun Dome, Brahman Coliseum, Sun Arena, Suncoast Coliseum and Suncoast Spectrum. Then USF President John Lott Brown made the final decision.

Morgan said he doesn't know how people will react to the name change.

"I think it will be great," Morgan said. "I think it's phenomenal. If people don't like it or have an issue, once they see the changes they'll love it, too.

"We're in the Big East. We have to showcase ourselves now and be proud to say who we are."

AFS, whose parent company Business Financial Solutions Inc., established its national headquarters in Tampa in 2005, sponsored USF's homecoming last year and also is a sponsor of the Lightning, Storm and Devil Rays.

"I'm all the way through Bulls, Bucs, Lightning and Devil Rays," Morgan said. "Any way that involves Tampa, that's who I am."

Reporter Brett McMurphy can be reached at (813) 259-7928 or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/MGBV17FO04F.html

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

ha ha he used the "I am TAMPA" saying

• Content Count:  3,691
  • Days Won:  2

bball%20rendering%20courtcrop%20sm.jpg

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Seriously,

It's not horrible, but it could easily be mistaken for a building where you pay your tutition too.

• Content Count:  7,890

Seriously,

It's not horrible, but it could easily be mistaken for a building where you pay your tutition too.

:ROFLMAO

I can see it now some freshmen walking to the ticket office looking to pay for classes or get some financial aid

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

I have a feeling that the name will be shortened to AFS Arena, as Academic Financial Services already refers to itself as AFS.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

It should be called:

THE AFSAH

Thanks, I'm out.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

The AFS SunDome. It will always be the Sundome to me, much like it's still the Ice Palace.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

The AFS SunDome. It will always be the Sundome to me, much like it's still the Ice Palace.

I agree.

My wife and I call it, "The Palace Formerly Known As Ice."

• Content Count:  701

glad to hear the naming rights bring renovations

Archived