• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ga. St. considering football look at USF & UCF

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Being on some of the Spring and Preseason Top 25 lists is nice, but get on the Top 25 during the season with our home schedule and I would think some of the Tampa folk get off the couch and go - assuming we don't continue to televise every home game.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

We averaged more fans for our home games than USF with only 4 wins. I must say I'm proud.

We averaged 1K less fans than you and we have played football 20 years less than you. I must say I'm proud. We have 20 years to make up that difference. Hmm, I wonder what our attendance is going to look like in 20 more years.

If you count the amount of time were were Division III, Division II, Division IAA, and eventually Division IA, it's not much of a difference. We spent a good amount of time at the D3, D2, and AA level where obviously there was no commitment to football growing as a program at that time. UCF didn't move to Division IA till 1996. Your program started in 1997 as AA and moved to IA in 2001 so there is only a 5 year difference in IA football but USF was commited from the beginning thus the rapid jump to IA unlike UCF where the first 20 years of the school there was no commitment to growing the program but that has changed recently. Better late than never.

-If UCF won 9 games last year we would have averaged 40k even at the Citrus Bowl and definitely at BHNS.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

We averaged more fans for our home games than USF with only 4 wins. I must say I'm proud.

We averaged 1K less fans than you and we have played football 20 years less than you. I must say I'm proud. We have 20 years to make up that difference. Hmm, I wonder what our attendance is going to look like in 20 more years.

If you count the amount of time were were Division III, Division II, Division IAA, and eventually Division IA, it's not much of a difference. We spent a good amount of time at the D3, D2, and AA level where obviously there was no commitment to football growing as a program at that time. UCF didn't move to Division IA till 1996. Your program started in 1997 as AA and moved to IA in 2001 so there is only a 5 year difference in IA football but USF was commited from the beginning thus the rapid jump to IA unlike UCF where the first 20 years of the school there was no commitment to growing the program but that has changed recently. Better late than never.

I think the point is that a UCF student or alumni has been able to go one of their school's football games for the last 25 years. I'm sure there are some who have been going for that whole time and it becomes a habit. Doesn't matter what level, although I realize the popularity should increase as you move up. I went through it with UT over here.

That 15 year jump should have positioned UCF to be where USF is now but from what I read in here, UCF admin made drastic mistakes years ago that kept that from happening.

• Content Count:  958

the FAMU game had a high attendance, as did the UCF game.  Why would we want an annual series with either team?

the FAMU game had a high attendance, as did the UCF game.  Why would we want an annual series with either team?

I've got no problem with an annual series ..... just not 1-1's.

• Content Count:  67

Bulliever, sounds like a boat load of excuses.  It is simple, if USF had any type of following, it would average more than 22,000 actual fans at a game.  You can use all the excuses you want, but the facts remain.  The Lightning, Bucs and Rays are not going anywhere. USF is not getting an OCS within the next decade so it works like this.  UCF will average more than 15,000 actual fans per game and the best part is, even with USF'S BCS affiliation, UCF will make much more money.

Triple, no way in hell UCF would give USF more than a 1 for 1.  You seem to think that USF brings anything to UCF.  Quite the opposite, with UCF's new stadium, we will fill most, if not all of it up playing most anyone.  We will make money regardless.  Now USF is playing in a 66,000 seat stadium that the only thing USF gets out of it is ticket sales.  If I remember correctly, UCF was the second largest attended game in USF's history.  Basically, USF needs this game more than UCF.  If UCF is going to do a 2 for 1, we can always bring in a major team likeTexas or Wisconsin.  

Triple, no way in hell UCF would give USF more than a 1 for 1.

I know.

You seem to think that USF brings anything to UCF.

Only based on your fans that desperately want to continue the series. If they don't think that USF brings anything, why keep bothering us about a rivalry?

If I remember correctly, UCF was the second largest attended game in USF's history.[highlight]Basically, USF needs this game more than UCF. [/highlight]

A UCF 1-1 series brings nothing more than bringing in FAMU every other year does. You act like we're strapped for money. The bigger crowds due to UCF fans coming over are nice but we don't NEED it. Please stop deluding yourself.

Please enjoy your OCS. That was something you desperately did NEED. We don't ... just like we don't NEED a series with UCF.

From a selfish standpoin, I want the series to end.  If we are going to play a big east I would prefer doing a one for one with the likes of Rutgers or Pitt.  Playing a team 90 miles away does not bring in different recruits or open you up to a different media market.  I also would rather schedule teams from the Big 12, Big 10 or SEC.  

I can understand keep the game as well, it is basically an additional home game for both teams when it is away.  

• Content Count:  3,574

Bulliever, sounds like a boat load of excuses.  It is simple, if USF had any type of following, it would average more than 22,000 actual fans at a game.  You can use all the excuses you want, but the facts remain.  The Lightning, Bucs and Rays are not going anywhere. USF is not getting an OCS within the next decade so it works like this.  UCF will average more than 15,000 actual fans per game and the best part is, even with USF'S BCS affiliation, UCF will make much more money.  

A few things to correct.  Obviously, you have no clue what the facts are.

The reason we don't "average more than 22,000 actual fans at a game" is because of the reasons that we have already mentioned.  We are a young program and we have seen an increase in attendance starting in the second season until last year.  Before 1997, people followed other state football programs.  It was all about USF basketball back then.

So you know for sure that we won't have an OCS within the next decade?  UCF planned for an OCS in what... 1.5 years before they started construction?  Do you know that we negotiated the leasing term for 5 years with an option of 10 years with RJS?  The original contract that was signed about 2 years ago (almost) was for 10 years at RJS.

"even with USF'S BCS affiliation, UCF will make much more money."  We made 4.5 million in 2005-2006 for just being in the BE.  CUSA gave 900k.  That 4.5 million is before the new BE TV contract that doesn't start until next year.  You guys still have to pay for the stadium, so not every penny is profit.

Triple, no way in hell UCF would give USF more than a 1 for 1.  You seem to think that USF brings anything to UCF.  Quite the opposite, with UCF's new stadium, we will fill most, if not all of it up playing most anyone.  

Then why is UCF asking for it.  There are no indications that your stadium will be filled for most games.  A bad start at NCST and a bad game against Texas will not do well.  Outside of the UT game, nothing is for sure.  Previous indications are not there to support your claim.

Basically, USF needs this game more than UCF.  If UCF is going to do a 2 for 1, we can always bring in a major team like Texas or Wisconsin.  

GOL even said it in public that he wants the game.  Leavitt avoided the questions.  We don't want it, that's why the state stepped in.  We also have to fulfill our exit requirement of playing a CUSA team for 5 years (though they are saying that the last year will most likely be voided).  Your own fans are more for it.  Ask your board and then ask us.  This game does nothing but give us an extra 7.5-10k more in attendance every 2 years.

Please show me a link where USF made 4.2 mm from the BCS money?  

Also, UCF is well ahead of fund raising.  Over six months ago, UCF already raised over $30MM for the $47 MM dollar stadium.  Now the whole project is $60MMm but that includes improvments to the baseball stadium and soccer stadiums.  

Either way, UCF only needed to average 27,000 per game.  UCF will easily hit those numbers as our season ticket base will surpass 20,000 easily and most likely end up around 23,000 this year.

Archived