• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Herbstreit Snubs USF

Guest JulmisteForPrez

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Dont agree with this but i can see why he would.  On the national level all we accomplished on the field was a upset over WVU and a win in a bottom tier bowl.  When people look back at the Big East schedule they see us getting drubbed by UL and UC and also losing to below average Kansas team, then scoring a upset at WVU.  We didnt prove that we could win the big east last year because we were so inconsistent to most outsiders views.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

We had a solid season last year for sure, largely due to the upset in Morgantown.  Prior to that win, we didn't really beat anybody of value.  What was the combined records of FIU, UCF, UNC, Syracuse, Pitt, and UConn anyway?  Add in a win over a 1AA team and an average ECU at best and its not really a great year.  Its a good year, but not spectacular.

So why is him snubbing us such a big deal when we haven't proven anything?  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,641
  • Days Won:  424

Dont agree with this but i can see why he would.  On the national level all we accomplished on the field was a upset over WVU and a win in a bottom tier bowl.  [highlight]When people look back at the Big East schedule they see us getting drubbed by UL and UC and also losing to below average Kansas team, then scoring a upset at WVU.  [/highlight]We didnt prove that we could win the big east last year because we were so inconsistent to most outsiders views.

Yes, but the UL and UC games are HERE this year, as is WVU. Anybody worth his salt as an analyst looks at that ... Looks at how young the team was last year, especially on the DL and at qb, and, at the very least, mentions us as a team to keep an eye on this year in the BE.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Its his OPINION that we won't challenge.  It doesn't mean we won't challenge and it doesn't mean we will challenge for the Big East title.  Not all commentators are going to be on the USF bandwagon yet, so chill.  Its just one guy's opinion on the power of the conference.  

Considering that those three teams above us are all ranked its not that big of a snub is it?  Now if he didn't include Louisville, that would be a snub.  But not including us really isn't a snub.  Its more like he's overlooking us.  

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Dont agree with this but i can see why he would.  On the national level all we accomplished on the field was a upset over WVU and a win in a bottom tier bowl.  [highlight]When people look back at the Big East schedule they see us getting drubbed by UL and UC and also losing to below average Kansas team, then scoring a upset at WVU.  [/highlight]We didnt prove that we could win the big east last year because we were so inconsistent to most outsiders views.

Yes, but the UL and UC games are HERE this year, as is WVU. Anybody worth his salt as an analyst looks at that ... Looks at how young the team was last year, especially on the DL and at qb, and, at the very least, mentions us as a team to keep an eye on this year in the BE.

To them we got blown out  so im willing to bet they think we will keep it close but still lose.  You have to remember nationally the majority of people know jack about our program.  If you want to think like they do you have to think like someone who just reads our box scores.  Im willing to bet most analysts would struggle to name 5 players heck maybe even 3 other thaon Grothe.  Basically i dont expect instant respect after the last two inconsistent seasons we have.  Also we had WVU at home a couple years ago and they blew our doors off here.  I dunno i just think everyone here instantly demands respect after a 8-4 season in which we were VERY inconsistent and gets all butt hurt if we dont get mentioned in big east title talks or mentioned as a sleeper etc.  I dont think its a travesty to not get mentioned as someone who can win the conference title when were in a conference with 2 top 10 teams and another top 15 team.  Basically until we prove we can play consistently and beat the teams were supposed to beat and show up and play every good team tough i dont expect to get talked about by everyone in the country.  Respect is not given it is earned and honestly i dont think we have earned wide spread national respect yet.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,641
  • Days Won:  424

Its his OPINION that we won't challenge.  It doesn't mean we won't challenge and it doesn't mean we will challenge for the Big East title.  Not all commentators are going to be on the USF bandwagon yet, so chill.  Its just one guy's opinion on the power of the conference.

Of course it won't have ANY effect on the outcome this year. We're just pointing out that Herbstreit sucks as an analyst if he doesn't recognize the potential of this year's USF team, based on last year, returning players and schedule.

Considering that those three teams above us are all ranked its not that big of a snub is it?  Now if he didn't include Louisville, that would be a snub.  But not including us really isn't a snub.  [highlight]Its more like he's overlooking us.[/highlight]

Because he sucks as an analyst...

• Content Count:  477
  • Days Won:  0

I think Herbie is the most unbiased commentator out there.  He is no Billy Packer.  Just because he didn't include USF doesn't make him a bad guy.  

ARE YOU KIDDING ME???????

give me a break.

The guy flat out lobbies for the Big Ten..

Michigan in the national championship??

do you remember that debacle by Herbeee..

The guy is as pro-big 10 -- pro-mid west commentator.

unbiased.  HA!

• Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

I like Herbstreit in general.  It's hard to follow closely all the teams in the nation, and perhaps even with knowledge of USF he believes the other 3 teams are still a cut above us.  Maybe they are, we'll see.  

I think that people that have this as their profession should know a lot more than they seem to, though.  Herbstreit, to me, is among the best on ESPN because there are a lot of people that just have opinions on the main teams all the time.  Herbstreit has given us some credit in the past.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We are improving, however, as stated above as well we need to be consistent this year.  We have most of our team returning from last year, with Matt having a full year under his belt.  Our defense should be able to give any offensive line a great deal of trouble.

We need to win the games we play "IN OUR HOUSE".  We need to make a good showing at Rutgers.  A plus would be beating Auburn.  We need to be in the position where we are actually in contention to win the BE title.

If we can do these things, the respect will come, Herbstreit not withstanding.

Archived