• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Let the gnashing of teeth begin over the Tampa Tri

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JulmisteForPrez

He may have been a bit over the top with a few things (but then, that's pretty much columnists' job), but he was pretty much honest with the facts.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  236
  • Content Count:  1,797
  • Days Won:  0

So surfer and Mid-Atlantic, do you think USF basketball is a 'mess'?  I don't.  So what if a couple of low watt dudes decided that they didn't have enough Enzyte on their shelves to take us to the next level.  Our situation is not dire and it's not a mess.  Do we have some catching up to do with a bunch of schools that have had basketball tradition even before our university was founded?  Sure, but that does not make us a mess.  

When the new coach is hired, if he can keep all the current players on roster and sign the 6 8 guy from HCC, he will have a serviceable team....by far not a mess.  I agree much more with Coach Calhoun.  USF has a lot of potential.  marshall and pelphrey have said what McCullom voiced...the challenge is too big for them.  I trust Mr. Woolard to find a guy who will relish the challenge.

No, we are not a mess.  fennelly is just fennelly.....a geek columnist who has a forum to vent against athletes and athletics.  He, like some who post on this board, are best ignored.

Normal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

We are not a mess? Are you serious? Wev'e won what 13 conference games in the last 4 years? If USF Basketball is not a mess what is?

• Topic Count:  77
  • Content Count:  585

Why is usf in a mess? I'm a razorback fan so I don't know the story.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

we haven't been to an NCAA tourney in 12 or 13 years. We have only made our Conference tourney 1 of the last 4 years. We lose to teams like FIU and B-CC.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Timing is everything in life. For USF's men's b-ball program, time has not been on our side. Greenburg leaving a sparsely stocked cupboard, USF transitiong to the Big East, countless injuries, a few risky, but talented, recruits who don't pan out, a player's death......all of this leads us to where we are now.

But what is the best way to characterize where we are now? I think that MESS is a bit over-the-top. I think CHALLENGE is more appropriate. Our next coach needs to be fearless and innovative. Willing and able to think outside of the box, as USF doesn't represent your typical college hoops program. I would prefer someone young and hungry, not just a name. Someone with a chip on their shoulder, someone with something to prove. These guys who are backing away from the offer are just not up to the challenge, and that is fine, it is not a knock on them.

In the end, I am hopeful that USF gets the right man for the job. I do not think that the hiring process should be a firesale. We need to make sure not only that USF is sold on the new coach, but the new coach is sold on USF.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I love how sports fans get into a rut when a columnist writes something like this. They do it to get a freaking reaction out of people like you. It sells papers.

Outside of that, I thought it was kinda funny, and when we get a great coach we'll get a sentimental piece.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

You don't need to $hit on your hometown team for no reason.  Nothing wrong with pointing out facts but no reason to bash the school in front of hundreds of thousands of readers.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  43

So surfer and Mid-Atlantic, do you think USF basketball is a 'mess'?  I don't.  So what if a couple of low watt dudes decided that they didn't have enough Enzyte on their shelves to take us to the next level.  Normal

I assume that had you been on the Titanic, you would have been telling someone to turn off the leaky faucet just as the ship's bow began to sink below the waves. Dude, the Bulls are 4-28 in the BE. They got turned down by a coach from WINTHROP! The guy at Arkansas got fired after making the NCAA Tournament twice in the last two years. What, exactly, qualifies as a mess to you?