• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Ford Tough: Should we be concerned?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Ford held out of first spring practice

Mike Ford, the much-heralded freshman running back from Sarasota, will be held out of USF's first spring practice Tuesday afternoon because "we've got him doing some things academically," coach Jim Leavitt said.

Ford will likely miss all Tuesday practices this spring, Leavitt said, because of "some extra things he needs to do." Academics have been a problem in the past for Ford, who failed to qualify academically after signing with Alabama two years ago.

Receiver Amarri Jackson, his cousin and former high school teammate, said Ford knows what he has to do and has a good support structure of friends around him at USF.

"He knows and I'm going to push him," said Jackson, who attended two years of community college before landing at USF two years ago. "Mike knows he's got to go what he has to do. He's seen the other side of things, same way as me. You don't get the grades, he's seen that side.

"This should be smooth sailing. He's been going to class. He needs to get the work done. We know what he brings to the table on the field. Those running backs we have, they've got grades, and coach (Carl) Franks is going to play the guys who are doing it on and off the field. He's either going to do it, or he's not. But I'm going to be on him."

It's only Tuesdays, so it can't be that bad.

Maybe because he registered so late (probably that Friday... the last day to register) and that was the only class that was available?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Or maybe he's getting special tutoring that is only available on Tuesdays?

Either way, that's fine by me.

The only bad thing is that this may affect the possibility of him starting.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I'm guessing its some sort of tutoring, so as of right now it doesn't concern me too much.

• Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  2,523

If anything, this is a good sign.  We know the guy can play and "starting" is only a label.  Who cares if he doesn't start but still carries 20 times a game ya know?

No, I think this is how important CJL thinks this kid is to our team.  He'd rather sacrifice a day of practice and BE SURE he's making grades than to take a chance and somehow the kid doesn't qualify which would be a MAJOR BLOW to the program.  Besides, in this offense, not like he's going to need a lot of practice.  The kind of runner he is, you just hand him the ball and he finds a crack and powers through.  Not alot of trapping or anything needed to "spring him".  Just get 3 or 4 plays that give him a crack and he's good and use the other guys to block on passing downs who are there all the time.

I wouldn't worry about this yet unless you start hearing how "well" the other RBs are doing.  If so, then he's probably setting the table to announce later Ford isn't going to run and then it won't panic Bull nation since he's sung the praises of the other guys.

The main thing is our WRs get the job done this year and the defense can play lights out.  IF that's the case, then we can win just as many with the other guys.  If the passing game is weak though bc the WRs aren't getting deep for G, that's when the extra talent someone like Ford gives you becomes so big.

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

The main thing is for him to be ready by the fall.  If that means sitting out a few spring practices here and there, then thats fine.  But I imagine all he'll have to learn are a few basic running plays for the spring, possibly a few pass patterns, and a few blitz pickups.

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Does spring practice include the spring game?

No, it says only Tuesday spring practices and spring game is a saturday.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  339

Does spring practice include the spring game?

Only on Tuesdays.

spring game=saturday