• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Rumor

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,088
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

I heard Tarkanian is coming...  ;)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

****, I almost forgot about him at ND. He did a goof job recruiting there as well. Nice to see his track record inthe BE.

The guys he signed while at ND weren't big time names.  Torrian Jones had the best career out of the three he signed.  Jones was a great defensive player, and the one guy that did all of the little things on the court.  Teams need guys like him thats for sure.  The other two were barely serviceable.  Tom Timmermans was a huge body that didn't do too much except eat up paint and commit fouls on the defensive boards.  Chris Markwood never saw the floor from what I remember.  Matt Carrol came in that year, so I don't think he recruited him, but he didn't lose him either.  Carrol was a great player for the Irish for four years.  Also it looks like he brought in Ryan Humphrey under his watch.  Humphrey was a stud Juco transfer, that had two really solid years at ND.  He could score and rebound, and jump out of the gym.  Probably a Mattis like player, with a chiseled frame that didn't look to score outside of 10 feet.

Doherty coached Troy Murphy in his final year with the Irish, so he inherited the Big East player of the Year that season.  This was probably the biggest factor for his success at ND.

No one can argue the recruiting job he did at UNC however.  That was one of the best signing classes in the history of the school arguabally.  

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I think Doherty is a decent coach, with the big name that everyone will recognize, and that will help with recruiting...

but on that same note, he was coaching FAU a couple years ago and if I remember right, he had a chance to beat us at the sun dome but made some tremendous coaching mistakes that let us win that game.  

Still, i am not disappointed that he is a candidate.  

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I know I'm gonna hear it from USFan, however, I've stated it before one of my best friends from high school is a sports writer for a newspaper in the Dallas/FW area.

I have been told that USF has talked to Matt Doherty about the job and that he is interested.

;D

Hear it because I call you JOESPN or because this guy coached at UNC?  ;D

Joe, you should give us a list of everyone you know... that way you can refer to a source by number.

"According to source one... DW wants to hire Doherty."  It would sound better than "one of my best friends from high school is a sports writer for a newspaper in the Dallas/FW area and he said...."

It sounds more like... "I know a friend that has a friend who is married to so and so and he said this..."

This also brings up another point... Where in the world is DW right now?  Doherty is in Texas, Pelphrey is in Alabama... Gillen is where right now?  The assistant at UConn... etc.

Joe... Find DW for us.

Thanks

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

USF DOES NOT equal ND when it comes to recruiting.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Doherty also mentioned in this Conn. article

Southern Methodist coach Matt Doherty, a former head coach at Notre Dame and North Carolina, is also said to be interested in the South Florida job.

Link

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Doherty also mentioned in this Conn. article

Southern Methodist coach Matt Doherty, a former head coach at Notre Dame and North Carolina, is also said to be interested in the South Florida job.

Link

OK... I like this.

Joe, find DW for us...

Guest 1Bullsfan

I agree with the rest of the board..it would be a great hire. He was ousted by UNC because he was replacing the legends...Dean Smith, and the old guy I can't remember, but he won there.

True, USF is different than ND, but we have some great advantages...i.e. Did anyone go outside this weekend?  :) Good luck trying to get weather like this at SMU, and don't forget the $$$ saved for living in FL compared to TX.

I just want a guy that brings a name and has the attitude of "I can make USF a basketball school like Donovan has done at UF".

Guest JulmisteForPrez
I just want a guy that brings a name and has the attitude of "I can make USF a basketball school like Donovan has done at UF".

Careful, 1Bulls.....

There are one or two regular posters on this site that have a conniption any time anyone even mentions UF in a slightly positive light.

God forbid that we would ever learn anything from the Gators!