• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McMurphy Says McCullum Will Be Fired

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Even though Mac has his principles, benching a kid who has done about everything all season is rediculous! It is not a learning expirience for life, it is demorilization. How can players play at their level, only to fear retribution for let's say farting, questioning direction, or putting a stop to constant yelling in one's face instead of patience and instruction. I hope and wish Mac well. Maybe his style is best suited for the penal leagues.

A Coach's job is never over.

A good coach ALWAYS teaches...and it looked like RMC was still TEACHING an important lesson, maybe even in his final game as USF Coach.

Class or team status doesn't count if a Coach notices a player NOT giving 100%.

It's a very important lesson to learn...and maybe even the underclassmen, regardless who their coach is next year, will take that valuable "lesson", learn from it, and they will be a better person for it...on and off the court.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

Yeah Brad. 5 errors! A hell of a lot better than the ten plus, and it's going down. Yes, we as coaches DO have to get on kids for continually doing wrong things. That's not the point. Patience and instructions wins. Yes I DID play football and had a heck of a good coach. Leo did yell, but then he took you aside and instructed. After that, if you still messed up, it's your fault. Silly no, pat on the back, lot's encouragement, tons. Yelling some but at a minimum. Instruction...PRICELESS!

Okay, so you're saying all RMc does is yell and doesn't instruct?  If anyone has exhibitied patience as an HC, it's RMc.  No patience when it comes to off the court shenanigans and that is fine.  I just don't see your point.  This is where I find this criticism of yours funny.  You're trying to say we have a coach that doesn't instruct, just yells?  Is that it?

By the way, how are  the kids' parents doing with your rampant error problem?  Are you getting it fixed fast enough?  How many years do you have left?  There is word that a group of parents may be waiting until the end of the season to ask for a change.  They are looking for someone that can beat the Yankees now!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Talk to your players,sooth their egos,explain things to them.  You coaching mens or womens basketball ?  Must be womens cause they need explaining and want to understand why they are doing something.  Men you just tell em to do it.

Waiting on Woolard

Posted By Brett McMurphy at Mar 03, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Updated Mar 04, 2007 at 12:43 AM

ROSEMONT, Ill. - In the coming days, the rest of the world will know what University of South Florida athletic director Doug Woolard has known for quite some time: Robert McCullum will not be USF’s coach next season.

Although the above statement is strictly my opinion, it’s based on several factors. An accumulation of several different things in the past year, if you will. Call it a hunch, an educated guess.

And if Saturday’s 70-54 loss at DePaul was indeed McCullum’s final game at USF - whether you believe he’s a good coach or not - give him credit. With all the uncertainity swirling about his job, he never lowered his principles, never changed his values or beliefs trying to get one last win that might increase his chances of saving his job.

After the opening two minutes of the first half against DePaul, McCullum pulled senior McHugh Mattis, the Bulls’ leading shot blocker, No. 2 rebounder and No. 3 scorer and sat him on the bench the rest of the half. McCullum told me he did so because Mattis “wasn’t ready to play.†Mattis returned in the second half and blocked his 109th shot of the season, breaking Gerrick Morris’ school record.

While McCullum ultimately didn’t win enough at USF - although until the school drastically increases its commitment to basketball or pulls John Wooden out of retirement, I don’t know how any USF basketball coach can win consistently in the Big East - I admire him for not bending his rules or principles even to the bitter end.  

20-20 VISION: Whoever is USF’s coach next season will enjoy coaching one of the top seniors in the Big East. In the final game of his junior season, C Kentrell Gransberry set career highs in points (26) and rebounds (23). Gransberry is only the ninth individual in Big East play to have at least 20 points and 20 rebounds and of the Big East’s 20-20 club, Gransberry had the most rebounds.

“His final numbers were outstanding and I thought he had one of the worst first halves he’s had all year,†McCullum said. “He was relentless on the boards. I don’t care what level you’re playing on, it’s rare to come up with 20 and 20.â€Â

McCullum said he hopes the league’s coaches don’t overlook Gransberry when selecting the All-Big East team in the next few days.

Gransberry said his numbers were “bittersweet†since they came in a loss. “Every night I try to come out and help my team win and if I’m not having a good night, I know we’re not going to have a chance to win,†Gransberry said. “I just tried to get the seniors a lasting memory and end on a positive note

FYI...believe that was Brett's Blog that he wrote up there in Chicago (don't think Greg from the St Pete Times traveled up to Chicago for RMC's potential last game).

Here's Brett's Game Report which is in today's paper...(has some more background info):

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB0WJUVUYE.html

DEPAUL 70, BULLS 54

Latest Loss Could Be McCullum's Last At USF

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Mar 4, 2007

ROSEMONT, ILL. - For the 76th - and expected to be final - time in Coach Robert McCullum's University of South Florida career, McCullum walked over to congratulate the winning coach after the final buzzer.

This time it was DePaul's Jerry Wainwright at Allstate Arena. The Blue Demons defeated USF 70-54 Saturday despite Kentrell Gransberry's 26 points and 23 rebounds, only the ninth Big East player to record at least 20 points and rebounds.

With speculation increasing that McCullum will be fired, USF athletic director Doug Woolard continues to remain silent. Woolard turned down multiple interview requests Saturday from Hartford, Conn., where he watched USF's women's team in the Big East Tournament.

(See free link for complete article)

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB0WJUVUYE.html

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Back to the original intent of the post:

McMurphy Says McCullum Will Be Fired

That's a very safe play...

i said he should have been fired last year

]

and predicted his firing this year

i am a genius

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

If, everyday, I say it's going to rain today, eventually I'll be right.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

From Fox News 46 minutes ago.

-

Coaching scuttlebutt

Another Missouri Valley coach is out. One day after Royce Waltman was fired at Indiana State, Steve Merfeld is gone at Evansville. ... Sources maintain South Florida's Robert McCullum coached his last game on Saturday, a loss at DePaul. McCullum is 40-76 in his tenure. ... Michigan's Tommy Amaker will need to take the Wolverines deep into the Big Ten tournament in order to remain in Ann Arbor.

From Fox News 46 minutes ago.

-

Coaching scuttlebutt

Another Missouri Valley coach is out. One day after Royce Waltman was fired at Indiana State, Steve Merfeld is gone at Evansville. ... Sources maintain South Florida's Robert McCullum coached his last game on Saturday, a loss at DePaul. McCullum is 40-76 in his tenure. ... Michigan's Tommy Amaker will need to take the Wolverines deep into the Big Ten tournament in order to remain in Ann Arbor.

Powerful and somewhat truthful comments from fired Indiana State Coach Royce Waltman taken from an AP interview:

He was realistic about his odds of getting another Division I coaching job.

"Well, I can't get a head coaching job, because if you get fired for cheating you can get hired right back again," Waltman said. "But if you get fired for losing you're like you've got leprosy.

"Young coaches need to keep that in mind. Cheating and not graduating players will not get you into trouble, but boy losing will."

WOW!!!!!

Full article

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2787432

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

He was realistic about his odds of getting another Division I coaching job.

"Well, I can't get a head coaching job, because if you get fired for cheating you can get hired right back again," Waltman said. "But if you get fired for losing you're like you've got leprosy.

"Young coaches need to keep that in mind. Cheating and not graduating players will not get you into trouble, but boy losing will."

This reminds me of your football coach, GOL!  ;D ;D

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  477

This is a business.  You are paid very good money to coach that team.  I think a university has every right to demand results after 4-7 years at the helm.  Everyone acts like these guys are getting paid 10 dollars an hour.  They are making in excess of 150k dollars a year.  I am sorry, but I don't have any sympathy.