• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of Big East basketball

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

Looking at the reported Men Basketball operational expenses for last year.

USF at 1.98 mill was DEAD LAST

Marquette,UConn,Louisville and Cinncinati TRIPLED that amount or more.

Rutgers,Georgetown,Seton Hall and ST. Johns DOUBLED the amount

Pitt,WV and Prvidence spent 1.5 mill more

ND and DePaul almost 1 mill more.

that doesnt count recruiting budget. So until we put money behind the program we will struggle NOT to get similar results. This is one reason coaches might think USF is a graveyard for coaches.

You want to get an up and comming guy, then we must lift those expenses up, bring up coaches pay and increase recruiting and PR budgets. as well of spruce up the Sun Dome

Is our Athletic Dept UP to thids task? Is the money available for all this upgrade. Until we change the perception of our program we will NOT attract quality coaches willing to take the risk

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Will not attract the qualty coach?  I hate to use the "H" word but didnt Huggins want to come here?  Though he had a personal vendetta, others would love to coach in the big east.  Some people like challenges.  

huggins must of not realized how little money we have here.  Or maybe he just assumed when he filled the seats, put us on national tv and gave us a rank the money would come.  

I hate this money excuse.  Maybe since we all have no hope we should just stop watching.  

People ARE getting paid and everyone affilated with the decision making on this program, no matter how little or how much they are getting paid, are being grossly overpaid.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

I hate to use the "H" word but [highlight]didnt Huggins want to come here[/highlight]?

I've never seen where he said that, have you?

Maybe since we all have no hope we should just stop watching.

I honestly believe that those who have no hope SHOULD stop watching. Why put yourself through that ... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

Why dont we just pack in the basketball team and allocate the extra 2 million a year to football. If we are not in it to win then close shop.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,489
  • Days Won:  13

USF = Walmart

Rest of the BE= Neiman Marcus

Will not attract the qualty coach?  I hate to use the "H" word but didnt Huggins want to come here?    

He didn't "want" to come here... He said he would be interested, hypothetically.

Here is the S.I. article:

Huggins headed to S. Florida?

Boosters love former Cincy coach; Temple also looms

Posted: Monday February 27, 2006 5:28PM; Updated: Tuesday February 28, 2006 9:49AM

If a group of well-heeled, highly connected residents of the Tampa area have their way, Bob Huggins will be the next head coach at the University of South Florida.

An influential USF booster told SI.com this week that supporters of the program have had numerous conversations in recent days with Huggins' Cincinnati-based attorney, Richard Katz, who indicated Huggins would be interested in the Bulls coaching job if it opened up. Third-year coach Robert McCullum is not expected to return after USF's season ends this week with home games against Connecticut and Georgetown. The Bulls are currently 0-14 in their first season in the Big East (6-21 overall) and will not be among the 12 teams to qualify for the conference tournament, which begins on March 8 at Madison Square Garden.

"No decision has been made, but there is really a groundswell here amongst some of the core guys to bring Huggins in," the booster said.

One potential sticking point is South Florida president Judy Genshaft, who is said to be good friends with Nancy Zimpher, the president at Cincinnati who pressured Huggins into resigning last August. When reached by SI.com on Monday afternoon, Katz declined to comment about the South Florida situation but added, "Coach Huggins is certainly interested in coaching major college basketball again and will be reviewing all situations."

After going 399-127 in 16 years at Cincinnati, Huggins remains an attractive candidate for many schools despite his past battles with the NCAA and his DUI arrest in June 2004. He has also worked to maintain a relationship with O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, two of the nation's top high school juniors who play for North College Hill near Cincinnati. If Huggins does not end up at South Florida, he is also rumored to be a possible replacement for John Chaney at Temple if Chaney retires at the end of the season, as some insiders expect.

Huggins has also quietly expressed an interest in the current opening at Missouri, though for the time being that interest does not appear to be mutual. His flirtation with South Florida is the latest bit of intrigue in what is shaping up to be an active off-season of coaching moves. . . .

Oh, and apparently it wasn't ONLY the Tampa Tribune trying to start something, as others on here have 'alleged.'

Why dont we just pack in the basketball team and allocate the extra 2 million a year to football. If we are not in it to win then close shop.

I believe the Big East requires participation in certain sports to be a member, including basketball.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

Will not attract the qualty coach?  I hate to use the "H" word but didnt Huggins want to come here?    

He didn't "want" to come here... He said he would be interested, hypothetically.

Here is the S.I. article:

Huggins headed to S. Florida?

Boosters love former Cincy coach; Temple also looms

Posted: Monday February 27, 2006 5:28PM; Updated: Tuesday February 28, 2006 9:49AM

If a group of well-heeled, highly connected residents of the Tampa area have their way, Bob Huggins will be the next head coach at the University of South Florida.

An influential USF booster told SI.com this week that supporters of the program have had numerous conversations in recent days with Huggins' Cincinnati-based attorney, Richard Katz, who indicated Huggins would be interested in the Bulls coaching job if it opened up. Third-year coach Robert McCullum is not expected to return after USF's season ends this week with home games against Connecticut and Georgetown. The Bulls are currently 0-14 in their first season in the Big East (6-21 overall) and will not be among the 12 teams to qualify for the conference tournament, which begins on March 8 at Madison Square Garden.

"No decision has been made, but there is really a groundswell here amongst some of the core guys to bring Huggins in," the booster said.

One potential sticking point is South Florida president Judy Genshaft, who is said to be good friends with Nancy Zimpher, the president at Cincinnati who pressured Huggins into resigning last August. When reached by SI.com on Monday afternoon, Katz declined to comment about the South Florida situation but added, "Coach Huggins is certainly interested in coaching major college basketball again and will be reviewing all situations."

After going 399-127 in 16 years at Cincinnati, Huggins remains an attractive candidate for many schools despite his past battles with the NCAA and his DUI arrest in June 2004. He has also worked to maintain a relationship with O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, two of the nation's top high school juniors who play for North College Hill near Cincinnati. If Huggins does not end up at South Florida, he is also rumored to be a possible replacement for John Chaney at Temple if Chaney retires at the end of the season, as some insiders expect.

Huggins has also quietly expressed an interest in the current opening at Missouri, though for the time being that interest does not appear to be mutual. His flirtation with South Florida is the latest bit of intrigue in what is shaping up to be an active off-season of coaching moves. . . .

Oh, and apparently it wasn't ONLY the Tampa Tribune trying to start something, as others on here have 'alleged.'

According to that article, the only person who said he was interested in coming here was a supposed influential booster... and how would SI.com know he was an influential booster?

And I don't think the Trib tried to start anything .... They just perpetuated this joke.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

^^^ I'll be honest.... a year ago, things were very interesting with all the booster talks.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I hate to use the "H" word but didnt Huggins want to come here?

No...not as far as I know...did you talk to him?