• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Reality of Big East basketball

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Oh, and apparently it wasn't ONLY the Tampa Tribune trying to start something, as others on here have 'alleged.'

Don't be so sure...I think Brett/Trib supplies them articles...and once wrote a column for them.   i could be wrong, but I think in this case there was a connection.  Brett can speak to that...I think he did a C-USA column for them.  I don't know if he does anything anymore though.

First sample that came up:  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/college/2003/preview/guards/wade/

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By Brett McMurphy, CNNSI.com

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Why dont we just pack in the basketball team and allocate the extra 2 million a year to football. If we are not in it to win then close shop.

yes!

j/k

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Looking at the reported Men Basketball operational expenses for last year.

USF at 1.98 mill was DEAD LAST

Marquette,UConn,Louisville and Cinncinati TRIPLED that amount or more.

Rutgers,Georgetown,Seton Hall and ST. Johns DOUBLED the amount

Pitt,WV and Prvidence spent 1.5 mill more

ND and DePaul almost 1 mill more.

that doesnt count recruiting budget. So until we put money behind the program we will struggle NOT to get similar results. This is one reason coaches might think USF is a graveyard for coaches.

You want to get an up and comming guy, then we must lift those expenses up, bring up coaches pay and increase recruiting and PR budgets. as well of spruce up the Sun Dome

Is our Athletic Dept UP to thids task? Is the money available for all this upgrade. Until we change the perception of our program we will NOT attract quality coaches willing to take the risk

how much does winthrop spend?

butler?

Will not attract the qualty coach?  I hate to use the "H" word but didnt Huggins want to come here?  Though he had a personal vendetta, others would love to coach in the big east.  Some people like challenges.  

huggins must of not realized how little money we have here.  Or maybe he just assumed when he filled the seats, put us on national tv and gave us a rank the money would come.  

I hate this money excuse.  Maybe since we all have no hope we should just stop watching.  

People ARE getting paid and everyone affilated with the decision making on this program, no matter how little or how much they are getting paid, are being grossly overpaid.  

usf needs to hire one of 100 or more great coaches and they can build a great program

forget football cafeteria TALK.BASKEKTBALL PROGRAM,SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL PROGRAMS need money first

the redskins out spend everyone and never win

throwing money at a situation will not make you better

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Good point Smazz, the money excuse is just a crutch for those that are convinced that it is impossible for USF to field a competetive bb team.

Breaking news:

USF’s Genshaft Gets 32 Percent Raise

Posted Mar 1, 2007 by Clarisa Gerlach

Updated Mar 1, 2007 at 05:46 PM

By ADAM EMERSON

of The Tampa Tribune

The University of South Florida’s Board of Trustees today approved a 32 percent annual raise to President Judy Genshaft’s salary and benefits.

The move brings Genshaft’s total compensation package to $643,000 annually, up from the $486,000 she receives now.

The amount includes a $395,000 base salary plus a $100,000 annual bonus that is contingent on whether she meets performance goals. Trustees also voted to award her a $300,000 bonus to be paid in stages over a five-year contract. After three years, she would receive $150,000. She would get another $150,000 two years later.

- Yeah, money seems to be a real issue at this university.

Have some expectations,

Rueb

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

the redskins out spend everyone and never win

throwing money at a situation will not make you better

no it's not a guarantee but this is an exception not the rule.

do you think the d-rays have a shot to win the East by spending 3 times less than the Yankees or red sox?

how about if I hire a lawyer? Should I expect the same results from a guy who charges $100 an hour as i should if I hire a guy for $300 and hour?

do you think I'd get a nicer house if I spent 3 times what you pay to have yours built? not neccessarily but 9 times out of 10, I will.

how much does winthrop spend?

I posted the article here smazza - the one you read in the NYT.

Winthrop coach makes salary of $250,000 which I believe is more salary than RMc.  He is also in his 8th year as I believe.

Point?

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

Their basketball operating budget doesnt have to be as large because the teams in their conference are not paying 2-3 times what they offer. So they can field competitive teams in their conferences and win enough to attract talent. put them in BE and they would not have a similar record.

But just for some idea here are the operating budgets in baskeball for some  "mid-majors"

Xavier 3.4 mill

Dayton 2.7 mill

SMU 3.05 mill

Butler 1.26 mill

VCU 1.5 mill

George Mason 1.78