• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Self Concept Theory (For the MAC supporters)

Guest wildrover

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

What's your plan of action?

Hire a new coach.

Should we go out and hire somebody for the same money?

No, this is the BE, we need to pay a higher salary.

Do we up the funding?

Yes.

Should we expect any coach to succeed if we don't committ financially to winning?

No.

Are you willing to see the football program stagnate if we take away from that in order to fund basketball?

Absolutely.

Any other questions?

Rueb

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,652
  • Days Won:  424

I'll take some of the blame/credit for this...There is no question that us DarkSider's have helped to unite the Pro-Macer's.

Please, Rueb, don't flatter yourselves. What your constant ******** abut Mac may have done was sway the fence-sitters to the Light.

The sad reality is that they (I won't name names) now want CRM to stay out of spite. They would rather have the program sink deeper into the abyss, than to admit they are wrong.

Again, with the delusions. A lot of the pro Macers have a ton more invested in the hoops program, both emotionally and financially, than you. Just as a lot of the anti-Macers do. All both sides want is for the program to succeed and to say that one side would prefer that the program not improve out of spite for some yahoo message board posters is predictably ridiculous. Grow up.

The justification of 'we shouldn't criticize CRM or the players during the season' is laughable, as you pointed out.

I agree.

I'll end by giving an opinion; which is the reason internet forums exist.

CRM has not displayed an ability to recruit, win big games, win close games, win road games, or win very much at all. While he has beaten 4 top 25 teams in 3yrs, I think the bad losses overshadow the wins; and it is my opinion that he should not be the mens bb coach next season.

Very succintly put.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Are you willing to see the football program stagnate if we take away from that in order to fund basketball?

Absolutely.

This is insane. Losing momentum in football would do much more damage to the school's athletic reputation than staying bad-to-mediocre in basketball.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

What's your plan of action?

Hire a new coach.

Should we go out and hire somebody for the same money?

No, this is the BE, we need to pay a higher salary.

Do we up the funding?

Yes.

Should we expect any coach to succeed if we don't committ financially to winning?

No.

Absolutely.

Any other questions?

Rueb

So it looks like you would rather try to compete in basketball than football?

Don't you think it would be a wiser investment to build our football program to the point where we generate enough cash to support all other sports first ?

Isn't it as obvious to you as it is to many others that football is the cash cow of college sports? You're willing to jeopordize that for basketball now?

Say we up our basketball budget $2M, that would still put us in the bottom half of BE funding.

Take that away from football and where does that leave us?

I'd rather take the long term approach. Invest in the cash cow and then fund the other programs as we start to get BCS invites and 45,000 in the seats. Seems as though it has worked quite well for a lot of other schools.

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Please, Rueb, don't flatter yourselves. What your constant ******** abut Mac may have done was sway the fence-sitters to the Light.

You never loved CRM as you love him now. Your welcome.

Again, with the delusions. A lot of the pro Macers have a ton more invested in the hoops program, both emotionally and financially, than you.

Why even pretend you have the slightest insight into my emotions or finances?

Very succintly put.

Succinctly.

So Trip, do you have any opinions that don't involve me? Oh, I forgot, you don't like to think for yourself, you let DW do it for you.

Rueb

edited to perfection by Rueben Horowitz

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Absolutely.

This is insane. Losing momentum in football would do much more damage to the school's athletic reputation than staying bad-to-mediocre in basketball.

I totally agree. I would rather have a shot at a BCS game and payout every year then a one and done in the NCAAs.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

I can't decide, BUT I am loving the discussions. Great points all around. I love USF hoops and want the correct decision to be made.

I trust and respect Woolard and hope he makes the CORRECT decision.

$0.02

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

Absolutely.

I totally agree. I would rather have a shot at a BCS game and payout every year then a one and done in the NCAAs.

So now we are depending on football to improve our bb program?? That is insane.

Let's pretend for a moment that we don't have a football team.

So, what do we do to turn this bb program around?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

We all want change, that's the joke of it, even the guys supporting Mac WANT TO WIN.  DUH!  Some are waiting until the season is over, like me, I own season tixs for years so i hate spoiling a fun season over this petty crying and whining, and some want the change yesterday.

How does talking about the program ruin a "fun" season?  What about this season was "fun"?  That's the attitude I don't get.  I get what you are saying that everyone is hoping we win, but sometimes it seems like it doesn't matter to people.  It seems by that statement that you'd enjoy the season no matter how successful we are.  After football season is over and some other sports have yet to get started (softball, baseball), what else is there to talk about?  Are we supposed to ignore the negatives and not criticize the program at all until the season is over?  What else would we talk about?  I also understand not calling anyone a "clown" as Bulliever says, but a lot of people can criticize the program without going nuts and name-calling.  Those are completely different things.  I don't know the coach personally so I'm not going to judge him personally.  However, our team needs to do better and I don't get the point of waiting for the season to be over to say anything negative about the basketball team.  Anyway, hopefully it does matter to everyone that we win, but sometimes it just seems like people are too complacent.

It's real simple, and I hate that I have to resort to childish explanations because I was pretty blatant and obvious before but clearly you require more explanations- must be something to do with your childhood.  I don't want to denegrade the discussions, and topics to be solely about the coach and his status.  I prefer to enjoy the season, watch the games, appreciate the opponents and hope for wins.  I complain, I point fingers, I've shouted at the refs at games, I've shouted at our players and the coaches...but I've always believed, as most sports people do, that a season is to be judged in it's totality and not it's parts.

If this concept is still to difficult to understand then please refrain from responding because you'll never get it.   I don't like to get into mindless, personal opinioned debates during a season about why a coach is gone, or why he should stay when he could just as easily win 3 in a row as he could lose 6 and completely change perceptional.

No one is complacent, and I've supported this team before your momma was bending you over the knee.  Don't tell me about complacent, I've been around demanding for two coaches to be fired, I was the one two years ago saying CRM is done- back when things looked far worse if you could see things up close.  Now I think that CRM has things going right, so how in the hell is that complacent?  **** man, this is the reason I hate getting into it because idiots decide to ignore a decent explanation and simply destroy a good discussion down to labeling.

No, a season is to enjoy, and writh in pain, but to worry about a coaching drama is not serving anyone any purpose.  State your position and then leave it until the end of the season...some of you don't get it.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Absolutely.

But here in lies the point of this board...you've got a bunch of kids, and students posting on this board that have never invested a dime, time, or sweat equity into the University.  They don't have a clue, and just demand- like they call the next generation the "Generation of Entitlement".  

We're already bad in basketball, football per dollar provides a greater return on invested capital then hoops....we're so close to the cusp of greatness in football so even a dollar taken from football to put towards hoops is shortsided, and crazy.  Furthermore, anyone to suggest such a thing has not spent 25 years cheering for USF athletics as I have, and seen nothing but USF come up short in virtually every sport- and I mean come up short from the pinnacle.  Football, to me, is the one sport that could get us to that mountain top of respectability, and promise.  I think we're possibly two years away from a New Year's Day BCS bowl....we should put all the time, money, and energy into building every aspect of that program to the top.  Once it gets there it will bring the profile of the entire athletic department with it.

Rueb to suggest otherwise doesn't know USF enough, and hasn't been a fan long enough.