• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

If you were the AD what would you do with Mac

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

You can't lose what you don't have... wish him well and look for a coach that can relate to today's players.

Thanks for a couple good wins Mac... see ya at the unemployment office.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Right now I still want to see where we end up the year before making a move.  If there is a serious sign that the players can come together and play like they did against Marquette and ND, down to the wire, start to finish in every game and it looks like there is some real hope going into next year.  Then there may be a chance to bring him back.

More important question though.  If we give him an extension as Minotaur suggests and we continue to tank again next year with similar results, what do you do then?  What do you do if we have a couple of more defections in the offseason?  

If we keep him, we must give him an extension for recruiting purposes.  How long are we willing to accept poor perfromance?  

I am willing to keep him around, but there has to be a very clear sign that his players are going to be capable of being competive next year.  Without a doubt he needs to be put on a short leash with regards to next year's results and a minimum of an NIT bid.

If we bring him back and past results hold true, you may be not looking for a real turnaround for at least another 3 or 4 years

It may be possible to find another coach who shares the philosophy of building character who might be able to be a better coach and recruiter... but not for what USF can offer.

I expect that since USF had to up the budgets for football, women's basketball, softball, and baseball in the past year - there may not be money left this year.  RMC might get the one year ultimatum form Woolard... giving USF some time to raise the needed funds and increase the budget enough to afford a bigger name coach.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

FIRE!

KEEP!

Ahh heck...like it really makes a difference?!?!

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407

I would keep him... We are competing much better this year and as long as we win more big east games each year then we will eventually reap the benefits...  Last time I watched a game the stat that caught my ear was when the announcer said, "USF has 8 guys on their team who have never played D-1 game until this year"  This statement if accurate really does explain alot... Yes MAC has "run" a few players and that has cost us, but would you rather have a few more wins for a lack of character?  Plus we also have been bit the last few years by injury bug, can you blame MAC for that?  MAC is doing the best he can with the cards he has, give him 2 more years and watch the big east wins keep climbing.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

It may be possible to find another coach who shares the philosophy of building character who might be able to be a better coach and recruiter... but not for what USF can offer.

I expect that since USF had to up the budgets for football, women's basketball, softball, and baseball in the past year - there may not be money left this year.  RMC might get the one year ultimatum form Woolard... giving USF some time to raise the needed funds and increase the budget enough to afford a bigger name coach.

Does anyone know if Mac brought in any type of lucrative sneaker deal with him?  If anyone saw the KSU-KU game the other night they were talking about how Huggins came in with a big contract, but also sold the arena out for the entire year and brought in huge sneaker deal.  I may dreaming, but I think that if we get the right guy that is a big enough name, there is a good chance that the funds will come around to afford it.  As has been discussed many times on here and I am beginning to believe it more, a big name coach brings in a lot more to a program than just coaching the team.  A big name will bring bigger crowds, TV appearances, hopefully a sneaker deal and I would have to think that the salesmanship of the program with his own charisma and name will be able to attract some booster money to the program.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's a "chicken and egg" game  Is it the boosters that land the coach or is it the coach that will land the boosters?  Think about it, if could somehow land a guy (I am just trying make an argument here) like say a Calipari or other succesful big name guy still in his prime, do you really think he wouldn't bring a great endorsement deal with him or that he couldn't use his existing contacts to land some booster money to the program to offset the added salary?

Would be interesting.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642
  • Days Won:  0

You can't lose what you don't have... wish him well and look for a coach that can relate to today's players.

Thanks for a couple good wins Mac... see ya at the unemployment office.

Oh that is a SICK joke! Hillarious though. Wish you luck and MAC.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

Let his contract run out, and start looking for a possible replacement.

If some deep-pocketed donor steps up to buy out the contract we can have a new coach that much sooner.  :P

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

If we keep him, we must give him an extension for recruiting purposes.  How long are we willing to accept poor perfromance?  

this is exactly why I do not think he should be around next year.  

no recruit is going to play for a coach who is in the last year of his contract, with a poor track record, and no talks of a contract extension.  

Mac hasnt improved the team "enough" to even serve his last year of his contract, let alone talk about contract extensions.  And no recruit is going to say yes to a coach who very likely will not be there next year.  

We should try and find a well known young ex-player who is motivated and getting into coaching, or a successful mid major coach (like mac was, which didnt work out) who both, we can steal for a low price.  If our AD lives up to his hype I have all the confidence in his hiring decisions to find that next good coach for a cheap price.  hopefully the new coach can improve us and bring in a new excitement.  Which will fill seats, get donors and students interested, and eventually have the money to give him the extension he may deserve, in the future.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

this is exactly why I do not think he should be around next year.  

no recruit is going to play for a coach who is in the last year of his contract, with a poor track record, and no talks of a contract extension.  

Mac hasnt improved the team "enough" to even serve his last year of his contract, let alone talk about contract extensions.  And no recruit is going to say yes to a coach who very likely will not be there next year.  

We should try and find a well known young ex-player who is motivated and getting into coaching, or a successful mid major coach (like mac was, which didnt work out) who both, we can steal for a low price.  If our AD lives up to his hype I have all the confidence in his hiring decisions to find that next good coach for a cheap price.  hopefully the new coach can improve us and bring in a new excitement.  Which will fill seats, get donors and students interested, and eventually have the money to give him the extension he may deserve, in the future.

how will a no-name coach fill more seats and bring in more donors?

USF is not a career building job. any decent up and coming coach can see that we don't have the money to support a winning program in the BE just yet (i.e. Grant).  We pay mid major salaries yet we expect them to compete against the best. Would you take a job that pays the same but you would be expected to compete against much better competition?

How will they compete with schools that have budgets multiple times ours? Would you expect them to hit the ground running as far as recruiting goes? In the end we would be in the same situation regardless of who you bring in.

The name may change but the situation remains the same. 16th highest paid coach in the BE + 16th largest budget in the BE + 16th best facilities in the BE = 16th place in the BE.