• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dan Silly-o says...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  642
  • Days Won:  0

Coach MAC is not ever going to have the opportunity to build a BB program with the kind of money that is being spent on football right now.

Maybe this is why Seth and USF couldn't come to some kind of agreement? This opinion of SILLY-O couldn't help but make me think, "Which do I care more about?" My answer...

football @ this point

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

Seth left because his act was getting old. Seth had plenty of time to build a winner in which he almost did. He had USF on the cusp of getting to the NCAA a few times, but he blew it during the month of Feb.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

hmm.......

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

yeah and when football season starts he will say that we do not spend enough on football to compete with the Big 3.

don't listen to the idiot.

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292

Seth left because his act was getting old. Seth had plenty of time to build a winner in which he almost did. He had USF on the cusp of getting to the NCAA a few times, but he blew it during the month of Feb.

I think the argument can be made that not everyone was on the same page as Seth and that he probably got tired of trying to get the program to the next level with little or no support.  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'll have to agree we don't spend the money to compete in the Big East.

We spent a lil less than $2 Million on the basketball program , by comparison. Rutgers spent $ 3.2Million. UConn spent $5.5 Million. Cincy spent 3.7 Million.

In reality if you don't spend the money you aren't going to compete.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Build our football program first. That's where we make our mark.

$4M dining hall and $6M practice facilities & softball upgrades should be priorities.

Fund basketball further when we get to our first BCS game.

Mac is doing as well as expected with his limited funds.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

I'll have to agree we don't spend the money to compete in the Big East.

We spent a lil less than $2 Million on the basketball program , by comparison. Rutgers spent $ 3.2Million. UConn spent $5.5 Million. Cincy spent 3.7 Million.

In reality if you don't spend the money you aren't going to compete.

Which is why when Vitale said this is one of the toughest jobs in America he was not to far off.  Some may feel it's more 'appealing' from a coaches standpoint, because of the conference affiliation, and visibility like more appealing as a job then say a C-DOA school (outside of Memphis) which is probably accurate, BUT any coach coming here will have a difficult task ahead of them because they're going to have to compete against the nations best, in the nation's best hoops conference, with the cheapest budget by far.

Don't agree, just look at joe's stats they're dead on.  If someone offered you a job and said you had to be better then your competition, but you'll have less resources, less support, worse facilities, less exposure (tv), and a worse salary but you have to beat the competition in a year or two, or your fired.  Tell me how that's not a tough job?  Tell me how many 'top notch' candidates will be clammoring for this job.

Funny, the two names I've heard as possible candidates are recycles from our last go around.   This is not a candidate coming from the University rather coaches that are soliciting the University.  

Whether you want CRM gone or not, much of the disfunction in hoops is directly attributable to the dollars, support, and fan base...until that improves the prospects to improve, regardless of the future staff, are not totally bright.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Build our football program first. That's where we make our mark.

$4M dining hall and $6M practice facilities & softball upgrades should be priorities.

Fund basketball further when we get to our first BCS game.

Mac is doing as well as expected with his limited funds.

I am going to say right now that dining hall needs to be the numero uno priority for USF and their fans.  Leavitt wants it bad, and if it doesn't get built soon that will not make him happy.  BTW the dining hall will benefit all sports, so if it gets built not only will it improve football but the overall facility upgrade for all sports.

Get that built, like you said football is where we'll make our mark and dollars.  If we can get to a BCS game, and start putting 45k+ in the stands for football many more sports will be able to thrive on the dollars generated by football.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The funny thing is Bien, I work with a few IU and UK alum, they all ask the same question..."How the ^#&* can Florida be a basketball powerhouse?"

Simple answer, the BCS. The BCS makes for football teams a non BCS title team can make 5 times what it makes for a national champion in basketball. Is it very suprising that the top 3 basketball teams right now are football schools? No! Those schools have made so much money off the BCS and the college football system that they can feed their basketball programs countless amounts of money to keep them competitive.

Is it any suprise why Louisville, Kansas, UConn, and IU have put so much money into their football programs the last few years?

USF basketball might catch lightning in a bottle and have a godd season here and there. However, if anyone really expects them to be competitive year in and out with the current funding (especially since we don't have the booster money that many schools have) is highly mistaken.