• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Syracuse and the Refs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Was anybody else as apalled as I was at the love fest that appeared to be going on with them in the game tonight? The second half officiating was AWFUL. IMO, it was a big reason for the second half fall off

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

I agree. If the refs are going to let Syracuse basically abuse USF when we the ball low, they better call the same way on the other end when Syracuse has the ball. That foul call against Mattis was a complete joke.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

the refs watched as Gransberry got his head split open and there was no call. They definately favored Syracuse.

What also made me freakin crazy was by hearing the crowd you would think that it was a Syracuse home game. I think I am more pissed at the crowd.

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

I agree. If the refs are going to let Syracuse basically abuse USF when we the ball low, they better call the same way on the other end when Syracuse has the ball. That foul call against Mattis was a complete joke.

also from Brett's Blog:

CARRIER DOME SOUTH: Syracuse exactly wasn’t intimidated by the announced Sun Dome crowd of 6,292, especially since at least half were rooting for the Orange. It reminded me of the old Buccaneers, when visiting fans would outnumber Tampa Bay fans at Tampa Stadium. Wednesday’s game was the smallest crowd Syracuse had played in front of since 4,025 were on hand for SU’s visit to Miami in 2004, ironically also played on Valentine’s Day.

“There’s a lot of Syracuse people [here in Florida],†SU coach Jim Boeheim said. “I don’t know why they don’t stay in Syracuse, why they come here. It was a perfect day today [a high of 9 degrees] in Syracuse.â€Â

also it was good to see Zaron Cann debut.......

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The refs weren't great, but it's not even CLOSE to being the reason we lost the game...

I'm not saying it's THE reason we lost, but it didn't help that we couldn't go to the hoop without being hacked and it not being called, but the instant we breathed on one of their guys, it was a foul, oftentimes right after they missed a call on the other end. The officiating in the second half was a joke.

Their center had 4 fouls (3 in the 1st half) and was limited in his PT too (He tore us up in the 2nd half). While there were some bad calls, it wasn't anything that affected the game that much.

Their center had 4 fouls (3 in the 1st half) and was limited in his PT too (He tore us up in the 2nd half). While there were some bad calls, it wasn't anything that affected the game that much.

As you said, most of his fouls were in the 1st half. When Syracuse went on their run in the second half, it seemed as if the refs put away their whistles when we were on offense until the game was well in hand with just a few minutes left.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

No when Syracuse pulled ahead was when the fouls were bad, really bad.  I would say there was 2-3 no calls when Cuse stretched their lead that had they been called might have kept things tight.

Gransberry got mugged on one turn, Verdejo on a dribble penetrate, and Howard.

That's the game, but during that stretch run the calls ceased to go both ways and suddenly the refs stopped calling a close game and Da Cuse pulled away.  Not coincidence, but hey we're going to have to earn our victories.

..or because Syracuse had more of their skill players back on the floor after getting into foul trouble in the 2nd half...

Terrence Roberts, Watkins were both in fould trouble in the 1st half, they were major parts of pulling away in teh secodn half.

I know what your getting at, and like I said any team that scores 7 points in the last 10 minutes of a game (2 of which were on meaningless FTs w/ 10 seconds left) is probably not going to win a game even if it's the worst officiated game ever...