• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl was a win-win for U$F. tks Brett

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

The $236,500 divided by $30 is actually 7,883 tickets paid for by USF (so Brett may have rounded somehow.

Obviously, athletics gave away a few tickets... both the 500 to the students and more for the traveling contingent (families, staff, etc).

However, if that number is accurate, then only 1,117 people paid for tickets.  Since USF was saying that 5,200 or there abouts had been sold -- it seems off.

This might need clarification ... if anyone really cares all that much.

The important things are:

- USF went to a bowl game

- USF didn't lose money on the trip

And we won and had a great time!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  12
  • Days Won:  0

thing is I believe teams that did not go to bowl games receive the same money - revenues are split evenly among conference members

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  25

For those that E-mailed me about the tickets discrepancy, I updated my blog with the official ticket numbers. Hopefully that will explain it better. Thanks, Brett

• Topic Count:  339
  • Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2006-12-06-bowl-payouts_x.htm

The Big East pays schools that make a bowl game on a tiered basis, with a BCS game worth $2.4 million, the second bowl $1.6 million, the third $1.3 million and the fourth and fifth $1.1 million. "We just take all our bowl money, put it together, and we distribute it fairly," said associate commissioner Nick Carparelli, adding that the league wants to make sure schools can cover their expenses.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

^which is exactly why Notre Dame will never join the Big East for football.

You'd be stupid to leave all $15 million for $2.4 million, especially when you can make it on your own.

If they start sucking really badly, they might just join us.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

The Big East pays schools that make a bowl game on a tiered basis, with a BCS game worth $2.4 million, the second bowl $1.6 million, the third $1.3 million and the fourth and fifth $1.1 million. "We just take all our bowl money, put it together, and we distribute it fairly," said associate commissioner Nick Carparelli, adding that the league wants to make sure schools can cover their expenses.

So, if I'm reading that article correctly, the only teams that receive Big East bowl money are the teams that went to bowls .... Seems fair.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

So, if I'm reading that article correctly, the only teams that receive Big East bowl money are the teams that went to bowls .... Seems fair.

A I understand it, they split the rest of the bowl earnings equally among the 8 schools.  The Orange Bowl alone had a $17 million payout and the Gator $2.25.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,851
  • Days Won:  22

Notre Dame does NOT pocket 15 mill from BCS Bowl anymore. If im not mistaken they get a share of it

They get 4.5 mill when they are in a BCS Bowl. 1 million any other year