• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any News on Recruits?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Its been quiet lately with the recruiting picture.  Just wondering if we have any guys coming in for visits this weekend, and who they are.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

No visits this weekend. The team and coaches will be at Keeleys' funeral. There should be some recruits here the following weekend, which is the final recruiting weekend.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

Travaris Cadet, a QB recruit (that scout lists as WR recruit, but whatever) is scheduled for 2/02/07 according to scout.  I havent looked at all the prospects today but I remember that one from yesterday listed.  at least he rescheduled.

Also, rivals says:  

The response from two potential USF recruits who had their official visits cancelled last weekend is unanimous. Jake Lanefski and Patrick Hampton (pictured) both said that USF displayed a unique sense of caring by putting aside football goals in the wake of the tragic death of Keeley Dorsey . . .

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Its been quiet lately with the recruiting picture.  Just wondering if we have any guys coming in for visits this weekend, and who they are.

Good stuff, all the recruiting targets seem to have responded very positively to Leavitt's actions and compassion regarding Dorsey and the handling of the team since this happened.  The weekend of 2/2 is shaping up to be a large visiting weekend and thus far despite pushes by other staffs no defections.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

Good stuff, all the recruiting targets seem to have responded very positively to Leavitt's actions and compassion regarding Dorsey and the handling of the team since this happened.  The weekend of 2/2 is shaping up to be a large visiting weekend and thus far despite pushes by other staffs no defections.

great news.  Also a good sign about the kind of players we are recruiting that they understand the situation.

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

The mothers of all the recruits will see how respectful and classy CJL has handled this whole horrible situation and hopefully give a push to their kids in the right direction...  

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

hope we get who we want.

those two weeks lost may not hurt us badly

it seems it may help us in the long run

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

hope we get who we want.

those two weeks lost may not hurt us badly

it seems it may help us in the long run

already have most of what we want, 1-2 fallouts but we were longshots already.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

USF Sends Message: Football Isn't The Most Important Thing

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

Published: Jan 25, 2007

TAMPA - Coming off the University of South Florida's first bowl victory, this year's recruiting class could be the most critical in school history. Yet, with National Signing Day less than two weeks away, USF has sent a loud and clear message to its recruits: there are more important things than football.

Like life and, tragically, death. Shortly after the death of 19-year-old freshman running back Keeley Dorsey, the Bulls immediately canceled their next two recruiting weekends, traditionally the biggest of the year.

USF coach Jim Leavitt and recruiting coordinator Carl Franks both realize it may cost the Bulls some recruits - and they absolutely don't care.

"There was never a consideration we needed to have those [recruiting] weekends," Franks said. "There are times you have to make decisions for what is best, instead of what might benefit you.

"It wasn't a decision based on what are we doing about recruits, it was what are doing about our football team to show respect and honor Keeley and his family the way they deserve. That became a priority for us. We did what we believe is best and that's what we'll stand by."

USF was expected to host about 18 recruits during the two weekends, Franks said. Some may reschedule for Feb. 2-4, the last weekend before signing day.

"It's obviously the right thing to do," said Mike Farrell, national recruiting analyst for Rivals.com. "It's every parent's nightmare something like this would occur, but it's the way every parent would want it handled. Anyone that is truly interested in USF won't drop their interest."

Tom Lemming, national recruiting analyst for CSTV, said USF sent a powerful message.

"South Florida is showing there's more to life than just football," Lemming said. "The kids they're going to get, it may be inconvenient [having to reschedule], but they'll wait to go to South Florida. This also will help weed out the serious kids from the ones that are just going to have fun."

Pensacola defensive tackle Terrell McClain, a USF commitment, understood. "I'm impressed the way they handled it," he said.

"The coaches have shown a lot of caring, letting their players go home and come back when they feel like they're ready," offensive tackle Jake Lanefski, an uncommitted recruit from Mobile, Ala., told USFBullseye.com.

Leavitt downplayed the decision. "I think all coaches would do the same thing," Leavitt said.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB865YOCXE.html