• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another Big East loss for Mac

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

First for those that wanted a zone defense that is the last thing you need against a hot 3-point shooting team like WV.  

Velco - Only question I have is after the success against Cinci with Grandsberry down low why didn't they go there right away instead of the second half.  I didn't get to see the game.

I am as baffled as you are... i think part of it was that WVU was playing a zone early and a putting a lot of pressure on the guards.  They were rotating very well and I think we were trying to shoot our way out of it.  I'm glad the adjustment was made, but I agree, it came later than it should have, for whatever reason.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

First for those that wanted a zone defense that is the last thing you need against a hot 3-point shooting team like WV.  

Velco - Only question I have is after the success against Cinci with Grandsberry down low why didn't they go there right away instead of the second half.  I didn't get to see the game.

I am as baffled as you are... i think part of it was that WVU was playing a zone early and a putting a lot of pressure on the guards.  They were rotating very well and I think we were trying to shoot our way out of it.  I'm glad the adjustment was made, but I agree, it came later than it should have, for whatever reason.

Plus, wasn't kg out a lot in the first half due to foul trouble?

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Excuses.  All I see is excuses.

I try my hardest to cheer for this team, but it is just the same old swan song with different players.  

I park myself in front of the TV and get ready to watch and after 10-15 mins come to the same conclusion e

And every time... "These guys are terrible."

I feel like I am watching the clippers.

We are halfway through another losing season.  Make this the fourth year of this horrendous experience.

It can't end soon enough.

We are 1-4 in conference play.  Will there ever be a day when we are maybe 3-2 -- or god help us 4-1.

We stink.  I am sorry that people don't like to hear that.  

I try my hardest to cheer for this team, but it is just the same old swan song with different players.  

I park myself in front of the TV and get ready to watch and after 10-15 mins come to the same conclusion e

We are halfway through another losing season.  Make this the fourth year of this horrendous experience.

We are 1-4 in conference play.  Will there ever be a day when we are maybe 3-2 -- or god help us 4-1.

Bullchit... you were watching the game and getting excited thinking we had a chance to win, you posted a few times as such.  Now after the loss you go back to bashing and saying we stink.  

We?  still going with the multiple personality disorder, eh?

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Were you hear for the Florida USF game in December of 2002?

IMO, that loss by 20 was the beginning of the downward spiral that got USF MBB in its current state.  The Bulls looked great until 4 minutes left in the first half of that game.  The big question is, "Has CRM stopped the bleeding?"  I would say "yes" but the healing is taking to long.  He's had to many set backs in recruiting and injuries.  I do know one thing, the player cupboards were as dry as petrified desert bones when CRM arrived.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Yes - I posted a thread before the game started saying "I don't know why I think these guys could pull something out."

And then yes -- I reverted back to the present.  Maybe it was the five straight turnovers or the six straight 3's they made on us.  Maybe it was the quick 15 point lead that took the air of the ballon.

Im tired of this whole program.  I just want something to cheer for.  Something that provides a little hope.

This university deserves a good basketball program.  It can be done.

Someone will eventually prove this.

If you can go from bashing to excited to bashing in a matter of 6 turnovers... you need to get a grip.  

We were big dogs in this game and despite the tough start... were in this game to the end.  We couldn't get over the hump, but that is what we need to learn how to do.  Winning against a top 30 team on the road in the big east is TOUGH.  Gotta learn to walk before you can run.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

They have a great summary for your attitude:

"An ego defense mechanism that operates unconsciously to resolve emotional conflict, and to allay anxiety by refusing to perceive the more unpleasant aspects of external reality."

Denial

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Ari, if you watched the game last night and thought we 'stunk' then you honestly don't have a clue about hoops.  This isn't a disparaging attack but rather a fact you don't understand the game aside from the fact guys dribble, and the ball goes in the net.

There was a five minute stretch that we looked really bad, and those three minutes after we closed the gap to 3, but overall a strong performance.  Last night WVU made sure Kentrell Gransberry wasn't going to beat them, doubling down, flashing men in front of him.  

The team played well, they were just literally out-manned once Saaka went down.  Once Saaka went down they only had 6 healthy players, only two big men- Gransberry and Mattis.  It was a wonder they played defense as well as they did, and it was even more amazing that Gransberry lasted as long as he did before fouling out.  People wonder why our FT shooting stunk, well these guys were dog tired.   We've got Aris Williams, Melyvn Richardson both sitting indefinitely next to Curry, and Cann...what a team with all them healthy.  Say what you will about Richardson but Coach Burnell and CRM have done a good job making him maximize his potential...he's been good at using his body, defending, and rebounding, enough to be a useful commodity to spell minutes for Gransberry and Mattis, without Saaka he and Buckley were hurting having to play almost a full 40 minutes.

No, no those guys played well, moved the ball well, and shot fairly well.  They turned the ball over to much, but that was partially due to exhaustion, they didn't create enough turnovers, that was partially due to no bench and the team couldn't afford to lose anyone fouling out.

If you've got a problem with this team and CRM then it's all about retention, recruiting, player management.   He's a sound floor coach, a good teacher and his teams usually play well and hard.  Last night was no exception, given their limitations (and you've got to take those into account when critiquing the play) they played very well last night.   Problems i see is CRM again having to push the envelop because of recruiting and player retention issues.  1. Chris Howard is not ready to play the nearly 33 minutes he played last night, that's almost cruel and unusual punishment, and could derail the comeback, but CRM is doing it out of necessity.  2.  Again, not signing another managable big man last year when there was room had everyone screaming, and it's hurting us now.  3.  What's with the injuries, are the players motivated enough to play through injuries?  

Plenty of stuff to be upset about but the play by and large on the court has been sound, it's just unfortunate that often those teams are playing shorthanded, or without help.

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  1,911

Gotta learn to walk before you can run.

How long is it going to take for us to learn how to crawl, so we can then walk and then run?  With this coach its not going to happen int eh big east. He now has talent and he cant coach.  Last year he had no talent (his fault) so we gave him another chance.  Whats the excuse this year?  Are we still gelling into a team?  HAHA

Velcro have you ever picked up a basketball and played the game?  im going to guess no.  it is not hard to watch and see we are late off picks, we dont deny the ball on D, we sit back and let them pop 3's.  We run a piss poor offense.  Howard has good control but everyone else just stands around.  Gransberry is great down low when we can get the ball to him without turning it over, but we all know we have problems there. This ALL falls on coaching.  

EVERY YEAR I GO AGAINST MY GUT AND SAY WE WILL WIN SOME GAMES AND MAKE THE CONFERENCE TOURNEY, ONLY TO BE DISAPPOINTED.  

Ari i take back my prediction for us to make the BE tourney.  We are better than Cincy, St johns and maybe Rutgers.  But seton hall is going to crush us.  But hey if we finish the best team that didnt make the be tourney this year, i guess its an improvement....ugghhh.