• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So assuming Ford is the starter next season...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Do you guys think we'll see a little less of the shotgun next season? I personally feel like Ford would be better suited to get the ball with some steam built up as opposed to taking the handoff from the shotgun formation. As such, I would like to see more singleback sets with Grothe under center, and maybe some I-Formation with Kelly lining up at FB (assuming Kelly doesn't redshirt next season).

What do you guys think?

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

We might see a little less, but I doubt it.  The spread attack out of the shotgun is our bread and butter, and we're at our best when Matt G decides to tuck it under.  Face it, the shotgun look is here to stay as long as Rod is calling plays.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044

Shot gun will be the main formation of our offense.  Ford may not need as much steam since GrothE can still run the ball.  We will probibly see a lot of the QB read option like last year, but now it'll mostly be handed off.

• Topic Count:  42
  • Content Count:  765
  • Days Won:  0

I love the thought of Matt, Kelly and Ford all in the backfield at the same time.  Then you throw in our receiving corp.   We are going to give defenses fits!     8-)

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

HI BILLY!!!!

<3 <3 <3

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765

I know many of us are excited about Mike Ford, but what were his credentials coming out last year?  What was he ranked as a national RB in comparison to others?

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

When he came out of HS, scout had him as a 5 star RB.

2800ish yards.

Watch the videos above...

he has both power and speed...  He doesn't need to get a head of steam going to be successful.  He has plenty of juice and juke to go with a good stiff arm.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I think he was ranked like the #17 runningback in the country. He was also a 5-star on Rivals coming out of high school

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

Do you guys think we'll see a little less of the shotgun next season? I personally feel like Ford would be better suited to get the ball with some steam built up as opposed to taking the handoff from the shotgun formation. As such, I would like to see more singleback sets with Grothe under center, and maybe some I-Formation with Kelly lining up at FB (assuming Kelly doesn't redshirt next season).

What do you guys think?

I'm with you.  I don't suggest we should abandon the shotgun, but just add more sets with Grothe under center, particularly on first down.  Lets establish Ford, get those safeties up, and then run some play action on first down and have Grothe go over the top to Amarri for 6!  The juices are flowing already!

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

We'll still use the spread more often than not, but the I formation is going to be quite nice with Kelly leading the way and even getting the ball on occaision. Our offense should be very potent next season.