• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt could learn from Urban Meyer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I think the point was the way he handled the media not the actual on field coaching. Just another example where everyone on this site gets the inferiority complex when UF or FSU is compared to something at this school.

The way Meyer handled the media after winning the SEC title game was perfect, you may call it whining, but had he not done that there probably would have been a rematch. The day that USF is in that position I hope to hell Leavitt (or whoever our coach is) comes out and gives our side.

After all of that Meyer could have shown up and barely won the game. Instead he left NO doubt in anyone's mind that UF was the number 1 team in the country, backing up the statements he made.

This wasn't a discussion about who was the better coach and how the tactics could be employed. This was a discussion of how Meyer handled the media v. how Leavitt handled the media. It was bad early in this season.

Stay on topic people and quite comparing Meyer's Coaching with Leavitt, I really don't believe many on here would trade coaches...Least I hope not.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

What, Leavitt can learn how to be a whinny little *****?  Meyer wouldn't shut up about needing a playoff system when it looked like the Gators were on the outside looking in.  

Funny you didn't see Meyer politicking at the beginning of the season and he even turned down interviews with Congress about the defunct (monopolistic) system.  I guess he had better things to do.  

Funnier still that we haven't heard the word "playoff" from him since the Gators got the invite to the big game early in December.  

If the best predictor of future behaviour is past actions, then Meyer will bolt when the first NFL team comes a knockin'.  

twilly,

Meyer called for a playoff on Fox in a live interview after they were announced Florida was going to the title game...

The good news is Florida Presidnet Bernie Machen and BCS/SEC Commissioner Mike Slive are meeting next week to discuss the feasibility of a +1 system. Machen is being seen as one of the 1st school president that has openly stated he wants a playoff. The Presidents have been what most have rested their no playoff case on.

I'll look for the article from earlier this week and post it.

edit: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/content/sports/epaper/2007/01/04/a3c_uffoot_0104.html

Here's one of teh articles.

What, Leavitt can learn how to be a whinny little *****?  Meyer wouldn't shut up about needing a playoff system when it looked like the Gators were on the outside looking in.  

Funny you didn't see Meyer politicking at the beginning of the season and he even turned down interviews with Congress about the defunct (monopolistic) system.  I guess he had better things to do.  

Funnier still that we haven't heard the word "playoff" from him since the Gators got the invite to the big game early in December.  

If the best predictor of future behaviour is past actions, then Meyer will bolt when the first NFL team comes a knockin'.  

Actually, Meyer and Machen were both talking playoffs late into December... and when Machen was in Glendale, he was supposed to talk to the OSU president about it.

First, let me say that Leavitt can act however he wants.  He praises his team after wins and criticizes them after a loss.  He probably feels the emotions more than his players, and hates losing more than anyone here.

If he chooses to impose media blackouts, that is fine with me.  The only important thing is playing the game.  Just because we here are information junkies and want as much of our drug as possible, doesn't mean that he's wrong for not enabling our habit.

Besides, there is an old axiom -- never get into a fight with someone that buys ink by the gallon.  Trying to take on the media is a lost cause -- so why should he defend his players to the same reporters that are attacking them?  I would rather think that when he sees these stories, he goes directly to the player(s) and deals with it there - defending and supporting the player(s) personally.

In Jim We Trust.

Well said Jim.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

If Meyer is still in Gainesville in 2010 ... we can talk again.

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

Urban Meyer is not a builder like Jim Leavitt. Urban said so himself that he was glad Spurrier built UF into a power because he was too old to build a program. Leavitt could have held out for a better job while at K-State, but he choose to take on a building project that not many can do. Look at how Howard is doing with FAU. Look at how Don Strock did with FIU. It is not easy to build a program from scratch in these days, but Leavitt has done that. The media have been pricks to both USF and the Coach Leavitt.  They have failed to give enough respect to USF because they are so up in joy over other things. The only time the media gets a hard on for USF is when players are in trouble off the field because they want to belittle the program. If I were Leavitt, I would have dont the same thing about handling the media. The building of the USF program has been the best thing about Leavitt which makes him a legacy at USF in my opinion. He is always going to be one of the fathers of USF football.

UTAH came from no where to play in a BCS game....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

UTAH came from no where to play in a BCS game....

They'd only had 2 losing seasons in the previous dozen before Meyer got there. It wasn't a rebuilding job...

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Maybe some aspects in coaching, but more in aspects of politics and dealing with the sports media.  For instance:

When the national sports media and pollsters disrespected UF, Meyer came out fighting and defended his team and players.  His politicking is one of the reasons they played in the BCS NC game.

When the local sports media started printing articles about USF players getting into trouble, Leavitt shut the media out from his assistant coaches and players.  Leavitt defended his squad, but his media blackout weakened the already lukewarm support of the local media.

When the media questioned the abilities of the UF quarterbacks - namely Leak - Meyer staunchly defended and promoted the good aspects of his players.

When the local media anointed Grothe as a future Heisman candidate and the savior of USF football, Leavitt rarely praised his quarterback in public because he "wanted to keep him humble".

Leavitt needs to learn some of Meyer's political prowess.  The "awe shucks hometown boy does good" shtick is getting old, and there will come a day when USF will need its coach to defend and/or promote them in the media.  How many times can the coach drag out tired routine that USF is lucky to beat the local 10 to 13 year old pee wee football team and how the quarterback is not worthy to clean the manure off the hooves off the cows of the local dairy farm?

Overconfidence is one thing, but sometimes the arrogance and confidence of a cocky self assured coach can influence the team and give them confidence as well.  Self deprecation worked great for Rodney Dangerfield, but it does not always work in sports.

hall of fame post

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Clearly the best Aww Shucks" coach out there is Bobby Bowden.  He has that down to perfection.  What JL has done at USF is much more compelling then what Meyer has done at UF.  Meyer has done a great job at UF and got them the NC so kudos to him but I see him going to the NFL.  His ego is way to big not to make the next jump.

bowden is in his 70's