• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Great Commentary on the state of USF Hoops

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

"We should mention that this isn't exactly a powerhouse group from the 'Ville. Rick Pitino was missing two key players - one injury, one discipline case - and ferried five walk-ons on the plane to Tampa. The Cards needed wins against Georgetown (Ky.), Bellarmine, Sacramento State and Savannah State to inflate their record to 11-5. "

Enough about the freaking injuries already.  As the exceprt from the article indicates, ALL teams have injuries and play shorthanded.

When we make a coaching change it is going to take a major shift in philosophy for the entire program.  I think to be successful we will indeed need someone with the cache of a Huggins.  I think to make any impact in this league at all we will need a big name coach.  He's going to have to be able to bring in big time recruits and by virtue of his personality he will need to create interest in this program.  

When and if this team ever starts winning we will see fans at the Sundome.  Maybe not sell out crowds but enough top get the place rocking again.  This is not the Sun Belt Conference or Metro Conference.  This is Big East Basketball for crying out loud.  It doesn't get any better than this.  During the conference schedule we bring in half of the top 25.  With a competitive team (and by competitive I don't necessarily mean winning games.  I mean being in the game with a chance to win down the stretch. Well at least it's a start)  Let's bring that level of play and excitement and with our opponents, fans will come to see USF BB.

There is just so much negativity with this program right now of course there is going to be apathy.  Getting blown out by 18, 21, 25 points is not entertainment.  It's sickening.

When we make a change at coach it's going to need to be a quantuum leap not just a change for change sake.  It was a huge leap for the BB team to get into the BE.  it's going to take the same leap to make it competitive.  Otherwise we will remain a laughingstock and doormat.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

While the article puts the truth on paper, who the heck actually thought or would even bet in Vegas that a team that has played together for about 8 games would actually win any of the first five games when the BE schedule came out?  Basically the league put the screws to CRM's tenure here at USF when that schedule was put together.  And another thing when was the last time injuries weren't an issue at USF?  It really is kinda ridiculous the injury misfortune both Greenberg & McCullum has had to deal with (Johnson, Asbury, Kohn, Mosley, Collins, Cann, Capko, Williams)  And another thing, the Sun Dome has always, almost, been a welcoming home to opponents that shoot the three.  Is is bad D from two of the last coaches or is it the Sun Dome?  I dunno.  U tell me.  I know one thing though.  My apathy is getting difficult to manage.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

I think one of our main points is that we padded our wins with horrible teams and we cant compete with the big boys.

Actually, that nowhere close to the heart of the issue. We don't play a Temple/John Cheney type of December schedule, but not too many teams do. The real issue goes way beyond scheduling.

At some point it's reasonable to wonder if it is ever going to get better on McCullum's watch. He has two years left on his contract, worth about $600,000.

This point might not be here now, but it will come soon.

Please, pro-RMC people stop with the injury/transfer excuses. If you want to hang your hat on a legitimate argument, let's talk about fan/booster support. The article is right on about fan apathy.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Guys, injuries have hit us off and on again...but we have had bodies this year. This team has talent. Gransberry, Buckley, and Mattis are scorers. Saka is a defending machine. The talent is all here. What lets me know that this is a poorly coached team, is when you cut the lead to 4, and immediatley give up a 14-0 run with a 5 second inbound called against you and another inbound thrown away. When teams just mentally collapse like that, a large part of it has to do with coaching.

I was extremely dissapointed last night, and probably shouted some things to Mr. D Woolard that I shouldnt have, but this teams performance is getting more dissapointing with each and every game. I WANT this team to turn around, which is what I feel seperates me from a few of the darksiders, but it just flat out doesnt look like we can or will, even with Howard, the transfers, and a full bench.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I fell prey to the dark side last week.  Now I am firmly planted with not even a shred of the good side of the force with me.  CRM must go!   8-)  (the shades are symbolic of my darth vader mask)

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Pro Mac   Anti Mac  makes no difference.   This program is in the tank and has been for awhile.  Fire Mac ?  Why ?  Who will be next to rebuild or more accuratley at this point build a program at USF.  USF needs either a high profile coach or a really strong up and comer but who is going to pay for him ?  Trust me, when it comes to fighting for $$$'s at USF JL is going to get it before anyone else.

Football drives this train and will continue to do so.  So for my take, just leave Mac there for another year and save us some money for a new coach down the road and maybe for the dinning hall JL wants.  Sound like apathy ?  I guess it is.  

I was there for the NCAA tournament years and I was there for the 8-10k fans filling the dome.  Times are so sad right now but firing Mac -  I don't think so.  He runs a clean program and maybe next year will be better.  Hell, even this year may get better but make no mistake - USF basketball is in the tank and will stay there for awhile.  Yes I miss the days of season attendance breaking the 100k mark and the Dome rocking and rolling.  Give Mac another year, afterall  the only coach in USFs history to take us to the NCAA tournament had a worse record his first three years then Mac.  

Who ever comes in after Mac will have to rebuild anyway so lets save 300k and who knows maybe next year will be a huge turnaround.  

Am I repeating myself ?  Why not, it seems that all the threads about USF basketball are nothing but repitition.  We used to talk about the game on here - the players - who we were going to play next -   We used to talk about upcoming games and if we had a chance to win ?  Players we feared,  coaches we loathed.  We talked about Death Row and the Reaper.  We asked what was the Zoo-Crew going to do next.  We talked about how cold it was for the guys camping out at Greenburgopolis.  Did they get Pizza ?

Brad and you other old timers - This board has lost its joy and focus when it comes to USF basketball.  Can we get back that fun ?  Help me guys -  ! LETS TALK USF BASKETBALL

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378

Give Mac another year, afterall  the only coach in USFs history to take us to the NCAA tournament had a worse record his first three years then Mac.  

Brad and you other old timers - This board has lost its joy and focus when it comes to USF basketball.  Can we get back that fun ?  Help me guys -  ! LETS TALK USF BASKETBALL

Give mac another year??  No way.  How many years can you keep saying that?  Last year, thats all I heard, now you want to give him another?  WHY?

The board didnt lose its joy and focus, the mens bball program did.  

He runs a clean program and maybe next year will be better.

He runs a clean program and maybe next year will be better.