• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe vs. Troy Smith

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

Ok, about a month ago there was some discussion about taking Troy Smith over Grothe.  I said there is no way that I would take Troy Smith over Grothe.  I stated, and accurately I might add, that Troy Smith was severely overrated and so was Ohio State.  I clearly made the argument that Ohio State had not beaten anyone this year.  I outlined how Ohio State had beaten Texas...big deal.  Rutgers dismantled Kansas State who beat Texas.  Michigan turned out to be way overrated as well and was dismanted by a less than stellar USC team.  Now, where are these people who said I was crazy.  Come on, lets hear it.  TROY SMITH IS AND WAS OVERRATED.  He threw off of his back foot all night, even when he wasn't pressured.  He missed reads, didn't step into the pocket, and on and on and on.  I will give you that Florida's defense was awesome last night but the bottom line is that Troy Smith is not the best quarterback in the nation and Ohio State isn't even close to the best team in the nation.  In fact, would they even be in the top 10...I doubt it.  I would fancy to say that USF played a harder schedule then OSU this year.

Bottom line for all you "the grass is greener on the other side" people.  Matt Grothe is an absolutely awesome quarterback and he would have proved that last night against the Gators.  Just be happy with who we have at the helm and look forward to next year.  Stop looking at what other teams have and start looking at the diamond in our own back yard.

Someone needs to eat some crow here.  Come on...it tastes good.

Go Bulls!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I agree with most of what you said.

I thought the Buckeyes & Smith were overrated as well.  I think they are a good team and he is a good QB, but not nearly as good as most of the nation wanted to believe.  Not by a longshot.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't think anyone said Grothe would never be Troy Smith, I just said he wasn't there yet.

Did he look horrid last night? Yes. But Florida's defense is bar none the best in the country. Troy Smith is a great Heisman QB, who played unbelievably terrible last night.

Grothe has the potential to be a Troy Smith and I am very excited about his future!

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Too much time off.

And Matt has three more years to take a crack at the Heisman.

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  1

Too much time off.

Bottom line is Smith didn't get it done. I don't know if that's more of a commentary on UF's defense than Smith's ability, probably a combination of both.

There was way too much time off though...They should have these bowl games in mid-December.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

11/21      51yds      1  interception

Grothe vs Cincinatti

4/14   35yds   1 interception

Troy Smith vs Florida

One game does not a career make.     If Grothe leave USF with a Heisman, overrated and gets us to multiple BCS games I am cool with that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  163

You can't blame just one guy for that loss-- the Gators took it to them.

Smith is a quality player and will still have some impact in the NFL as long as he finds the right team. He's got a rocket for an arm and can really move.

I don't get why people feel the need to compare Grothe to every QB all the time. Matt had a nice year and really showed us he is a great competitor. I'll be happy to let his play on the field do his talking and avoid trying to hype him up beyond that.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

You can't blame just one guy for that loss-- the Gators took it to them.

Smith is a quality player and will still have some impact in the NFL as long as he finds the right team. He's got a rocket for an arm and can really move.

I don't get why people feel the need to compare Grothe to every QB all the time. Matt had a nice year and really showed us he is a great competitor. I'll be happy to let his play on the field do his talking and avoid trying to hype him up beyond that.

exactly.  troy had absolutely no time to do anything last night.  its not his fault his line had absolutely no containment on uf's defensive ends.  and ohiobull, how in the hell is usc less than stellar?  were you watching the same rose bowl i was?

• Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  563
  • Days Won:  0

I love Grothe but Smith is a way better QB at this pt.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

smith isnt overated

smith is way better than grothe

gators are better than buckeyes

grothe can only hope he has a career like smiths