• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

LB Commits

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Sutton Commits To Bulls

By BRETT MCMURPHY

Published: Jan 6, 2007

TAMPA DeLand senior linebacker Calvin Sutton verbally committed to the University of South Florida Friday night.

Even though Sutton (6-0, 215) committed to USF, he said he'll still take visits to Auburn and USF. "I'm pretty set on USF, but I still want to go see what the other schools are talking about," Sutton said.

"I like USF because it's close to home and [my friends and family] won't have a hard time getting to my games," Sutton said. "Also because I'll have a chance to play as a freshman and can wear my high school number [10]."

Sutton said he also may consider Auburn and Iowa. As a junior he was DeLand’s second-leading tackler (116) and led the Bulldogs with eight sacks.

Of course he'll have a chance, but LB is probably our deepest position.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928
  • Days Won:  0

thanks Greg Auman.....

Seems that ftu cannot even keep local talent now....

January 06, 2007

DeLand LB Sutton commits to Bulls

It's hard to keep a secret for too long these days. I was going to sit on this until midnight, but Josh Newberg at usfnation.com is also reporting it on his message boards, so I'll go public: Calvin Sutton Jr., a 6-foot, 215-pound linebacker from DeLand, committed to USF on Friday night, choosing the Bulls over offers from Auburn and Mississippi.

He's a three-star recruit by Scout.com and Rivals.com, a prolific tackler who had 161 tackles as a senior at DeLand. His father, Calvin Sr., told me that Sutton had 19 sacks as a junior when he was used more on blitzes as a pass rusher. It's a strong get for USF at a key position -- two months ago, linebacker looked like a major question mark with Stephen Nicholas and Patrick St. Louis graduating. Now you have Ben Moffitt back in the middle, and consider the options on the outside: Tyrone McKenzie, who will transfer and start classes Monday, hopeful of landing an hardship waiver so he can play this fall; Donte Spires, who drew high praise as a freshman at Pearl River in Mississippi and transfers in this summer, plus three talented freshmen who redshirted this past fall.

Sutton has some interesting ties to Tampa. He played his freshman year at Freedom High in Tampa, moving to DeLand to live with his mother and graduate from the same high school his father did. His father has lived in Tampa since former Florida star Errict Rhett was drafted by the Bucs in 1994 -- Rhett is Sutton's godfather and has counseled him in football matters throughout his life. He considered Florida, visiting campus for a basketball game last season, but said USF was the school that stayed on him the most consistently.

Sutton told me he knew he didn't want to leave the state of Florida, and while Miami showed interest in him, he liked the idea of playing in Tampa and liked defensive coordinator Wally Burnham, who he committed to Friday night. He's played both middle and outside linebacker spots and said he could play either at USF. He'll make an official visit to USF next weekend, which is the first of two key weekends for closing out the Bulls class, with both weekends well-stocked with recruits already committed to USF. Sutton turns 18 this month, so his father said he could still put on a little size before he's done growing. "He's explosive, like Ray Lewis," his dad said. "He runs through players."

There. Now you have nothing to wait for tonight ... Thoughts? Comments?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

>...but said USF was the school that stayed on him the most consistently. <<

This jumped out at me.  Good job, Wally and staff!  Seems like we have better recruiting skills than some portray us as having.  We are sure getting deep in some positions.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Hard to imagine there are too many better highlight reels out there than this kid. He's a beast.  Article in the paper said he was still going to other visits, let's hope our guys still stay on him.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Men among boys become Bulls among boys!  AND it's already clear he plays well in green and gold!

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  242

Congrats and welcome to the Bulls' family.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

hope he stays committed.

why would he commit before his visits?

why would he go on more visits after he commits?

should we pull the scholie? or is he good enough to wait and hope?

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

are the current RB and  recruits NFL caliber with wally coaching the up?

is sutton nfl caliber?

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  574

Wow.  This kid looked like a man among boys out there.  That kid can hit.

I am so excited about this program's future.  Is it August yet?  ;D