• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tickets Sold, 4,400

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

Joe,

You have to take into account that USF had a few noon games in which some students are still in bed at that time. To be honest, I am not really believing the stundent #s because they seemed to have improved every year. I am going to judge by what I see in the stands in person, and I can tell you that this year has to be one of the best showing by students despite what those numbers say.  Maybe it was just that the students were louder and into the game more than ever, but I think the students have shown more support than the alumni. Let me know when the alumni sections are filled like the student sections then we can talk. I still think you have a good idea that USF needs to market those graduating students to keep them showing up for years.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

I'm frustrated with everyone in charge of promoting/selling tickets at USF. Given our unique situation we need a more creative marketing department.  And don't talk to me about budget 'cause you can market to students for almost nothing.  Promoting travel packages during student meetings is free, and you don't even have to wait for the day of the invite for this.

You can start talking about possible bowl plans during the start of the semester:

"If we make the Bham bowl this would be the cost of the package $", or "If we make the Gator bowl this would be the approx cost of the package: $ That price will go up the day the bid is announced though. So get your package early, you will get a refund for the difference."  Is that so hard to do? I think we are starting to see a trend with bowl bound teams: pre-sales.  If by the end of the season we have sold a good amount of tickets then we won't be turned down by the bigger bowls.  

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Moises, I think you are on the right track with the pre sales idea.  Strike while the kettle is hot theory (after the WVU win).  That was when we were all over the news.  Radio, TV, Newspapers all had USF propaganda.  I think this might be the way of the future with bowl games and ticket sales.  Also, if season ticketholders or diehards like us purchase at the beginning of the season or midway, wouldn't we be more likely to purchase additional or extra tickets when the announcement comes?  I think that impact could be huge for us (maybe an extra 1000 or 2000 tickets), which for us is a gigantic leap.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

Could be worse...Western Michigan reports selling less than 2,000 for the International Bowl.  I doubt Cincy is over 3,000.  How many people in Toronto do you think will buy a ticket to see 2 low to mid-level american college teams play football?  I doubt there are over 8,000 butts in seats for that one.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe,

You have to take into account that USF had a few noon games in which some students are still in bed at that time.

Terrible excuse. I guarentee most out of bed at any other school at noon. Sorry, I won't take that into account.

To be honest, I am not really believing the stundent #s because they seemed to have improved every year. I am going to judge by what I see in the stands in person, and I can tell you that this year has to be one of the best showing by students despite what those numbers say.  Maybe it was just that the students were louder and into the game more than ever, but I think the students have shown more support than the alumni. Let me know when the alumni sections are filled like the student sections then we can talk. I still think you have a good idea that USF needs to market those graduating students to keep them showing up for years.

Eh, I trust the numbers for the most part because they are an improvement. It's the 3rd best season we've had to date numbers wise. You knew they were probably going to be a lil smaller this year because of the image of our opponents.

I know there are still some graduating students that sit there.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I'm all for better marketing with one caveat -- are we trying to get blood from stone here?

pre-sales wojuld most likely benefit those most likely going already in the first place. I guess a handful more might be able to swing it from a cost basis. But you are asking quite a lot from the semi-weak fan base we have to expect that to be the magical move that changes things.

to me the bottom line is simply this-- people have got to WANT TO GO. Not be coaxed-- want it, need it, have to have it. We need to whip up a fever for this program and that is not a month of advertising before the bowl game-- it's a 24x7 job and a commitment from all the die hards already on board to push USF all the time.

It's going to take alot of things-- significant wins (plural), great seasons (plural), rankings, national respect, and TIME. No matter how much we want it-- it takes time.

so keep the faith-- do whatever YOU can to make it better and above all else, don't get discouraged. We'll get there.....someday.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Well said MikeG.  Everyone wants in now, but in essence not all fans are like the ones that post on this board.  I'd have to say 80% of the tickets USF has sold for Birmingham have a tie in with this message board.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

Are the 500 students counted in this number??  Answer is probably yes, but had to ask the question.

Yes.

Also included in that 4,400 number is the approx 500 tix used by USF Athletics (football players, staff, coaches, etc..), USF Administration, and friends of the University.

PS. If your Marching Band was going to...those tix would be in the count as well.

LOL I just love how you are in all our attendance threads. It must really suck to stay home for the Holidays. and I love how you have all the answers on our numbers. Whatever they are they are MORE than UCF has taken to ANY Bowl in their LIFETIME. ;D

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

I am honestly suprised if this is really the amount of tickets that have been sold.

I don't buy the whole "it's two days before Christmas" BS.  I am going to the bowl game--spending my entire bday in a car driving there.  Not only that, but I HAVE to be home by evening on the 24th since my family always celebrates Noche Buena (Chrismas Eve) and not really Christmas Day.  And get this--I'm not driving back after the game.  I'm staying in B-Ham, spending money since that's what the bowl people want.

My family would kill me if I'm not home by dinner time on the 24th.  I am leaving really early on the 24th and will make it in time.  So all this 2 days before Christmas crap pisses me off.  If I can do it then MANY others can.  They jut have to sacrifice having to wake up early to drive.  Big deal.  

The only reason I can see people not making the bowl game is if they already had previous plans that could not be cancelled, of it they just did not have the money to attend.  I'm still at USF, so money is not something I have floating around--thank God for credit cards.

Ok, I'm done now.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

I think 4,400 is not surprising, nor is it disheartening.

I think that anyone who honestly talked/posted themselves

into believing that we'd move close to 10K was getting a

little bit too much holiday spirit - believing in Santa Claus.

Unfortunately I got stuck with obligations (work & wedding),

or I'd be there. But I'm also gonna be honest with you.

The idea of this close to Christmas, playing EC? in scenic

Birmingham, Alabama...I would view it as an obligation more

than an opportunity. I kicked two tickets into the donation

pool, so at least it's not 3,398, and we all know you're not

going to get every season ticket seat (16K) to account for

one bowl ticket - used or donated.  Our fan base is what it

is. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone (and I hear

it a lot at work) who would really be excited (of itself, not the

obligatory yeah-team line of thinking) about this bowl or the

opponent.

If we had 5K for Charlotte, I think 4.5K for Birmingham is

pretty dang good.  You can't spin this into something it is

not. You're gonna get what you pay for, and at $30/head for

a bowl game - it's basically just one more road trip. :-*

Great post Wooly...

I'm going b/c I am a die-hard and my wife puts up with my obsession that is USF Athletics but otherwise I can't fault the likely 2000-3000K more fans who would have probably attended a post XMAS Day Bowl game.

If USF gets about 4-5K again for the B'HAM it's not the end of the world.

BTW...I am not so sure that this will permanently damage USF travelling reputation b/c the bowl system as it stands right now is living on borrowed time. There will very likely be a playoff system in place by 2010 so travelling won't be a factor in the selection process as performance on the field....which is what really matters anyways IMHO.