• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Putting the 'South' in 'South Florida'

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I'm tired of hearing the argument that Universith of South Florida is not an accurate name for our school. Opponents generally argue that 'south Florida' refers to Miami area and that USF is actually in Central Florida.

But that argument is based on 2 things --a socially defined term ('South Florida referring to only Miami area) and the method of geographically dividing up the state.  Both are ambiguous.  It's just as easy to argue that USF is indeed in South Florida:

Reasons why 'South Florida' is an accurate name for the school:

1 - USF is geographically south of UF and UCF

2 - Tampa is the "gateway' to south Florida

3 - USF was the southernmost state school at the time of inception

4 - Miami/Ft Lauderdale/etc is really in what I call "deep south' Florida. To say that Miami area is the only 'South Florida' is obsurd..what about Fort Myers? It becomes a loose art of defining what is 'South'. See #5.

5 - Anything south of the midway point in Florida can be considered 'South' Florida. Per Google Earth, Tampa proper is 200 miles due south of the northernmost point in the state, while it is only 185 miles north.

Bottom line: The name USF can be misleading because it does go against the socially accepted definition of 'south Florida', but at the same time, the name can be argued as technically accurate.

florida_ref_2001_small.jpg

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

Thanks, Griggsy.  Now I can give this link to neanderthals who, realizing that we have a much better team, think that they have found something to smack about.  They are only revealing their own ignorance but that rarely stops people.

• Content Count:  3,103

the only thing you have to say when explaining our school name is #3, it explains everything.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

the only thing you have to say when explaining our school name is #3, it explains everything.

Well, that and F*ck off!

Sorry, couldn't control myself.  Ban me.

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  808

Ha! No, no thesis. I just get tired of people making arguments based on socially accepted ideas over facts. It's similar to the arguments about which football conferences are the best...

Just a clarification to my above points though. I did a little further digging and the southernmost mainland point in Florida (and consequently, the US) is located in Cape Sable (25°07[ch8242]02[ch8243]N, 81°05[ch8242]17[ch8243]W). Florida's northernmost boundary runs along the 31st parallel, putting Tampa roughly 208 miles south and 192 miles north.  16 miles south of Florida's midway point.

Go University of SOUTH FLORIDA Bulls!

Oh, and just for kicks:  Bulls is also an accurate name (although I hear that argument less often).  In the early years, Florida was primarily a livestock state with more cattle than Texas. Tampa was a major livestock hub for the area. The name is a testament to our history. Florida is also considered the 'oldest cattle raising state in the country.'   See http://www.floridacattlemen.org/fca/history.htm

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

And for the ECU fans talking crap:

I see states called North Carolina and South Carolina. I do not see states named East or West Carolina nor do I see a state called just "Carolina" therefore I wonder where "East Carolina" is. I mean I realize you guys are on the eastern part of the state but not the state of "Carolina". Shouldn't your school be called "East North Carolina State" or "East North South Carolina" or East Carolinas State"?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

I-95 is the gateway to South Florida

4 - Miami/Ft Lauderdale/etc is really in what I call "deep south' Florida. To say that Miami area is the only 'South Florida' is obsurd..what about Fort Myers? It becomes a loose art of defining what is 'South'.

I've been living in Florida for more years than you have been on the planet and I can't say I've ever heard anyone call Miami/Ft Lauderdale "Deep South Florida".

How about University of Not So Deep Florida

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  104

I'm tired of hearing the argument that Universith of South Florida is not an accurate name for our school. Opponents generally argue that 'south Florida' refers to Miami area and that USF is actually in Central Florida.

But that argument is based on 2 things --a socially defined term ('South Florida referring to only Miami area) and the method of geographically dividing up the state.  Both are ambiguous.  It's just as easy to argue that USF is indeed in South Florida:

Reasons why 'South Florida' is an accurate name for the school:

1 - USF is geographically south of UF and UCF

3 - USF was the southernmost state school at the time of inception

4 - Miami/Ft Lauderdale/etc is really in what I call "deep south' Florida. To say that Miami area is the only 'South Florida' is obsurd..what about Fort Myers? It becomes a loose art of defining what is 'South'. See #5.

5 - Anything south of the midway point in Florida can be considered 'South' Florida. Per Google Earth, Tampa proper is 200 miles due south of the northernmost point in the state, while it is only 185 miles north.

Bottom line: The name USF can be misleading because it does go against the socially accepted definition of 'south Florida', but at the same time, the name can be argued as technically accurate.

florida_ref_2001_small.jpg

The funny part of this is you would spend this much time and energy to prove a point that EVERYONE already knows...Its as stupid as Pirate fans defending East Carolina....Man....I dont care about someone talking trash about ECUs location...Hell...just talk about us....BUT... dont call us EASTERN CAROLINA...Then Ill have to come over and kick your ARSE!!!!!! 8-)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

I-95 is the gateway to South Florida

4 - Miami/Ft Lauderdale/etc is really in what I call "deep south' Florida. To say that Miami area is the only 'South Florida' is obsurd..what about Fort Myers? It becomes a loose art of defining what is 'South'.

I've been living in Florida for more years than you have been on the planet and I can't say I've ever heard anyone call Miami/Ft Lauderdale "Deep South Florida".

How about University of Not So Deep Florida

Haulingbull, you must take into consideration that back in your day people believed the earth was flat.  You all probably called us the University of Left Florida!! ;D