• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Driving directions from Tampa to Birmingham?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I have made the Orlando to Birmingham drive a few days before Christmas (2 years ago), give yourself plenty of time, both 75 and 10 will be very crowded (ESPECIALLY in the Pandhandle) and you must remember that most people will be driving to whereever that day because it is their last day of work before Christmas.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

I was thinking the Suncoast to US-19, through Tally, west on I-10 and then up 231... Atlanta sucks to drive through no matter what the time of day...

Everything through that route up to US 231 is a pretty decent drive.  I just don't know how bad Bama is going through the gut.

When is everyone driving up planning on hitting the road?  Early the day before?  What about driving up the night before the game, ie leave at midnight on the 23rd, get to Birmingham 2-3 hours before the game?  This pretty much limits you to the I-75 to I-20 routes as most small town gas stations close at night, but the Interstate ones are usually 24 hours.  We avoided most of the traffic last year by leaving Tampa at midnight.  We saw a total of 3 state troopers and 1 drunk driver (in South Carolina at 5:30ish AM) the whole trip up.  Not too bad if you get plenty of sleep the day before...    

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

We're leaving around 3:30am on the 22nd. Probably take the Suncoast route. Thinking we'll be able to check into the hotel and rest up a little, go to Dream Land for some ribs, and then to where ever the kids party is.

Heading back after the game.

GO BULLS!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,080

There is a large construction project north of Valdosta (81 miles of Interstate 75) which may make that route just as slow as going through a few small towns in Alabama...

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/dot/fielddistricts/d4/interstatereconstruction/interstatereconstruction2.shtml

According to this PDF document, some of it was completed in Summer 2006 while other sections are slated for completion in 2007.

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/documents/pdf/const-map/const-map.pdf

Just something to consider...

I drove I-75 up (and backl) to Louisville for the game and didn't have any delays in the Valdosta area or anywhere else for that matter.

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

I'll need to get some feedback from everyone driving up from Tampa.  We're driving to B-ham from Michigan, but will be headed to Tampa the day after the game.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

I have driven to/through B-ham a billion times (family in Huntsville, AL). The quickest way is either 19 to 10 to 231 to 65 or 75 to 10 to 231 to 65.

Just last year at the same time I drove the Atlanta route, the construction in Valdosta was awful (plus the added holiday traffic), and Atlanta always will slow your trip down by a good half hour.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

75 to 10 to 231 to 65 - 99% sure this is my route.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  856
  • Days Won:  2

guys, i drive to birmingham at least once a year to see family, this is DEFNITELY the fastest way...no ifs ands or buts about it.  at least an hr faster than the mapquest way which shows to go i-75 then cut over on 20.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  348

I was thinking the Suncoast to US-19, through Tally, west on I-10 and then up 231... Atlanta sucks to drive through no matter what the time of day...    

Thats how I goto tallahassee all the time.  From Sarasota it cuts off over an hour as opposed to going 75 to 10.

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

guys, i drive to birmingham at least once a year to see family, this is DEFNITELY the fastest way...no ifs ands or buts about it.  at least an hr faster than the mapquest way which shows to go i-75 then cut over on 20.

Exactly.  My sister-in-law's family all live in Columbiana (outside of Birmingham).  I have made the trip more than 10 times.  I did it once through Atlanta, and I have never done it since.

You can look at the mileage all you want, but the bottom line is that 231 is the best way to go.  The only places to really watch yourself are the small towns in Florida until you get to Dothan.

Edit: I will be going up Friday AM with 10 other Bulls fans!