• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib already at it...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Jim, I never said they shouldn't write about the UF/FSU game. Didn't even say it shouldn't be on the front page of the sports section with the high school football games.

I DID SAY that no mention AT ALL on the day before a game and then a one column mention on PAGE TEN on the day of the game is PURE BS.

I DID SAY show some respect to the local school.

You must work for the trib with your comment about touting the BULLS.

I've heard that one before.

I suppose the build up of the UF/FSU game was simply reporting the news.

GO BULLS!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, I never said they shouldn't write about the UF/FSU game. Didn't even say it shouldn't be on the front page of the sports section with the high school football games.

I DID SAY that no mention AT ALL on the day before a game and then a one column mention on PAGE TEN on the day of the game is PURE BS.

I DID SAY show some respect to the local school.

You must work for the trib with your comment about touting the BULLS.

I've heard that one before.

I suppose the build up of the UF/FSU game was simply reporting the news.

GO BULLS!

I don't work for the Trib, but I understand the news business.

I just don't see how pissing and moaning about it here does anything.  If people don't like it, they should do something that will change it.  Then the build up to a USF game will be simply reporting the news.

List of possible actions people could do:

1) Stop reading the Trib.  

2) Write a letter to the editor.

3) Boycott any business that advertises in the Trib.

No matter what, you need a heck of a lot of people to do similar things -- otherwise there isn't a heck of a lot that will change because of peoples' message board rants.

Then you haven't been looking hard enough because they're not hiding.   Ask anyone at USF, they won't mix words when referring to the Tribune in particular.

The article and contents were not all together bad, but timing was off as usual for the Tribune and Brett McMurphy.   Remember this is PURE speculation at this point that Leavitt would even be a candidate, and definitely interested, hell Brett's article doesn't even state he is, but the article is out there now, and every wire in America will pick it up, and suddenly whether Leavitt is a candidate or not other media outlets will put his name in the hat.

It's just irresponsible is all it is, and since all Brett is doing is speculating (what's new) then the timing is inappropriate- two days after one of the school's biggest wins.  Not one of his bigger digs, or poor moves but we already know he thinks highly of himself so I doubt seriously Brett wasn't aware of the ramifications or impact a speculation piece on Leavitt could be.  It catapults his name into the public eye.

Take it as you wish, and be naive if you must, but this isn't good for recruiting despite how many times Leavitt has been at it before, and frankly it puts Leavitt's name in the limelight as this article will be in all the Media General archives.   Who knows the motivation behind it, but given the person, and situation I do believe the timing was more intentional then accidental.

I don't see how having his name bantered about for a week -- because all of these coaching vacancies will be filled fairly quickly -- is that much of a problem.  Sure, a potential recruit could take a wait and see approach when he hears Leavitt might be a candidate for another job.  But when he hears that CJL is staying, his mind is at ease.

And while it is speculation, that is still newsworthy.  Brett was not the first person to mention CJL in the national media (Craig James - as quoted in the article - did it on Saturday).  Leavitt might not be interested and USF may not give any school permission, but the fact that his name is included in the mix by supposedly knowledgeable people is news.

I am sure USF doesn't like it.  They don't like any criticisms.  Heck, who does?  But I just don't see the problems in any of his articles.  (Remember, I have worked in politics, so I am not naive about seeing a hidden agenda.  I just don't see it here.)

JMHO

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,088
  • Days Won:  469

If the Trib stuff is speculation, it's still getting some national run on SI.  This despite AD Woolard saying no one has asked for permission to speak ot Leavitt.  Which is nothing new really, didn't Mal Moore contact the Jim without asking permission?

Several schools are reportedly contacting South Florida coach Jim Leavitt, who has turned down offers before, in the wake of USF's biggest win yet. Leavitt was mentioned by various national media outlets as a possible candidate at Miami. Leavitt's name also has surfaced as a possibility to replace Mike Shula if he is fired at Alabama.

-- Tampa Tribune

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/11/27/truth.rumors.college/

FWIW: The NCAA says that another school can't call CJL... but Miami has hired a consultant... that consultant can call CJL without permission.

All coaching issues are speculation until a coach or a school admits to being interested.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433
  • Days Won:  0

At this point....many would argue that Miami or NC State would almost appear to be a step in the wrong direction for him.   Alabama...that would be a different story.  Miami...put a fork in 'em.  NC State...boring....0-2 to C-USA teams this year.  The ACC is down...the Big East is hot!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

...  If you don't like what they print -- let them know it

This is the key ... emailing/calling and letting them know is the only way to change it.

And if it changes and more of the other colors call ... they will change.

Readers dictate.

But unfortunately agree with Jim that most readers are probably football fans of UF & FSU ...

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  114

The problem I have with today's sports section is that the Trib bolded the Gators on the AP poll they published and neglected to also bold the Bulls on the list of teams that also got votes.  To me this is either favoritism or just an oversite; hopefully the latter.  I am surprised nobody has brought this up yet, and I apologize if someone has and I missed it.  

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

It is blatant bias. It was not oversight. Again, the FU SID pays the papers to run the FU Gayturds over anyone else. It is a fact that is not known. It is run just like the music industry. The record lable pays the station for so many airplays a day for their artist du joir. FU pays the paper(s) for top billing and a daily inference to FU sports. This way, they keep their boosters happy and in turn the boosters send the $$$. But my gripe is that when we get any sort of top billing, it's only when we lose. You see, this way, we get discredited, FU looks shining to recruits and the cycle keeps turning. It's all a money game that when provoked always looks in the favor of FU. Unfortunately, FU money tals as the Bulls walk. Hometown loyalty in the media is a thing of the past. Just ask U Tampa!!!

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

USF is 8-4 in a BCS conference.  Miami is a mess and exerts extreme pressure, evidenced by firing a national champion coach inside 5 years.

Still, I'd take it over Bama.  Schula actually repaired that program pretty well considering the scholarship woes he started with.  His reward was to get canned.  Realistically, schools like Miami and NC State could look at Schula.  My guess is that the Canes go for a strong NFL assistant though.  Looking at trends such as USC and Notre Dame, that seems to be the hot move lately.