• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

C'mon---Let's talk West Virginia!

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Offensive balance, minus the needless trickeration.  Can we say I formation?    

Run Ricky Run! and then run some more... the passing game will open, only if the other team isn't keying off on Grothe every snap.  

The offensive line needs to take out some aggression and pound that ball!  Going forward and putting your helmet on someone feels a lot better than having to fall back every play only to watch 6-7 guys blitz to your 5 protectors (thank you spread offense >:( )

Twilly, the I-Formation is NOT the basis of this offense. Just as the shotgun is not a large part of the Pure West Coast, just like 4 wide is not part of the Air Force Triple Option.

You take the shotgun away from Grothe and you take a large part of what has made him so good this year. I am not a huge fan of the Spread, but this is obviously an offense that CJL likes and wants to keep around.

Finally, slowing the game down won't help. You cannot do it with WVU. They will get their 30+, you're going to have to keep the chains moving and keep scoring to have a chance in this game.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Offensively-  We need to win the TOP battle and keep WVU's offense off the field.  This means that we have to show more a commitment to the running game, espcially with the RB's, than we have the last few weeks.  We may have to also deviate from the spread as WVU plays a blitz heavy 3-3-5 scheme and we will need extra bodies to protect.  Moving the pocket and sliding our protection with the roll out will also help to alleviate some of the pressure.  We need to run lots of crossing routes as WVU's DB's dont possess alot of speed and were killed on crossing routes against the ville.  Oveall we must exectue better than we have all season (no drops, penalties, mental breakdowns) and not turn the ball over to stay in this one.  I think we have to score 28 or more to be in this one.

Defensively-A huge task here and i think we can only really hope to slow down Slaton, White, and company.  The defense needs to play good assignment football and trust one another to cover their assignment against this spread option scheme. If players try to do too much and deviate from their assignemt Slaton or White both possess the speed and athletiv ability to take it to the house on every play.  The defensive line is going to have to win the battle at the LOS and get penetration to disrupt the run and force Slaton and White to move laterally more than they need to so we can use our defensive speed to our advantage.  Filling the gaps with some run blitzes wouldnt be a bad idea at all.  We must force white to beat us with his arm as he is far more dangerous with his legs than his arm.  We need to force some turnovers ala what UL did to WVU when they met up a few weeks ago.  As i mentioned in the offensive section keeping this unit off the field will be the best way to defense them.  Its a tough job and we need to play our best defensive game of the season this saturday.    

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

West Virginia

Where Men are Men

and Sheep are Nervous

26th Worste passing Defense.  We may have a shot at this game, but GrothE will have to throw for more than 364 abd we'll need at least 120 rush yards.  That would give us over 500 yards making the game be a major shoot out.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

for usf to win........

1  control the line of scrimmage.  wvu is usually smaller in size with the dline/oline.  we rely on quickness and execution to counteract the size differential for the most part.  if usf can push us around and substain drives could help control the clock.

2. turnovers.  uofl won vs wvu because of this.  usf must win this battle to get a victory out of morgantown.

3. make tackles.  miss tackles vs slaton and white equals long runs....aka touchdowns.  its already difficult trying to catch up to these guys.  missing tackles constantly will crush any chance of a usf win.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

Offensively -- score more points than West Virginia.

Defensively -- look for the player who has the ball and knock him down really quickly.

Really, it will be major news if we pull this off, but to tell you the truth, if it were not for the cold weather and being on the road, we could beat them.  O-line -- STEP UP!!!

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  274

Coach Rodriguez seems to be a little over concerned,     stating he would like the weather to be colder and he would like some more support from the students.Perhaps he senses a little over confidence in his players. If they are down and our boys are up, it could make for an interesting game. Also the weather down here has been about the same as its going tobe in Morgantown.m Lets hope it matters enough.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i dont beleive rodriquez thinkis temperature makes a difference

usf can beat wv

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431

usf can beat wv

Hey Smazz,

You have been making a lot of positive posts lately and I'm curious to know what about the team has changed/improved since your posts earlier in the season, when you were thinking we were going to get shocked into reality when we played strong teams like Pitt, UL, & WV, to now feel we have a legitimate shot at WV?

Guest JulmisteForPrez

usf can beat wv

Hey Smazz,

You have been making a lot of positive posts lately and I'm curious to know what about the team has changed/improved since your posts earlier in the season, [highlight]when you were thinking we were going to get shocked into reality when we played strong teams like Pitt, UL, & WV, to now feel we have a legitimate shot at WV[/highlight]?

FYI...

Pitt is not a strong team, and we DID indeed get shocked into reality with UL.

That being said, it would be sweet if we could somehow do the almost unthinkable and beat a powerful WV team in Morgantown.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

... and we DID indeed get shocked into reality with UL.

I think you may be alone in the shock dept.