• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else SICK and TIRED of this?!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  0

Tranghese told the BigEast coaches not to lobby.  He told them he didn't want to hear any ******** and they're following orders.  Petrino said the same thing.  He said they're not going to whine for sympathy votes like other coaches.

Rutgers is in the discussion, but that's all they'll get.  I don't care if they win out or not, there is no excuse for the only two undefeated BCS teams to not play for the title.  That's the main reason the BCS was invented; to make sure that only BCS teams would get a chance.  Now they want to change the game mid-season.

Where was the talk about strength-of-schedule when FSU was rolling over an embarrassingly easy ACC before the expansion?  Nobody questioned Texas's SOS last year.  Or USC's the year before.  Why not?  Why aren't we talking about Michigan's SOS?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

We will find out when all the bowls are played.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757

Joe,

How is Rutgers playing 2 top - ten teams a bad schedule?  Last I checked the Big East is a BCS conference.  

We're not helping them in SOS, are you kidding?  Last I checked the BCS put us up to 42 or so, and we add ANOTHER team RU beat with a winning record... just who the F did USC or UF play that merits skipping an undefeated team for a shot at the NC?  Was their loss to an NFL team or something?  

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

BCS Intentions

The BCS was not invented for two undefeated teams, in fact if you look at the preamble of the BCS they mention that if a 1 loss team has a higher BCS rating than an undefeated team, the job is still done.

FSU:

Yes, there was ALWAYS the talk of SOS and the ACC with FSU which is why they had to go out and schedule and keep both Florida and Miami on the schedule plus add other games.

In 98 they went to the Title game with 1 loss. To build their SOS they played Texas A&M, USC, Miami, and Florida.

Michigan

Michigan's SOS? Because if they win out they will have beaten 3 top 10 teams plus Penn State, if they lose they're done. Looking at their schedule isn't even comparable to Rutgers.

(You might have an arugment with Ohio State's schedule, but they've clearly been the best team in the country to this point)

My Final BCS Point

Tranaghese has told them to be quiet, but that didn't prevent WVU and Louisville to state their case on ESPN. Schiano made an appearance, but avoided BCS title questions.

In 1976 Rutgers went 11-0, you know what they got? Nothing, no bowl bid...a ranking of 17...and zero respect.

The BCS has changed this for teams like Rutgers and they KNOW that. They are not going to go out and crap on a system that made them RELEVANT in football. While Rutgers deserves talk, I just think their schedule doesn't lend well to a top BCS ranking at the time.

Had Louisville won there would be no argument, had WVU won, you would have had an argument, but they'd still be in. Rutgers though, just hasn't played enough to get them in. It's not a Rutgers thing, look at Wisconsin (only loss against #2 team) and Wake Forest.

Joe,

How is Rutgers playing 2 top - ten teams a bad schedule?  Last I checked the Big East is a BCS conference.  

We're not helping them in SOS, are you kidding?  Last I checked the BCS put us up to 42 or so, and we add ANOTHER team RU beat with a winning record... just who the F did USC or UF play that merits skipping an undefeated team for a shot at the NC?  Was their loss to an NFL team or something?  

Our BCS computer average SOS is 109, it's projected to be 89 when all is said and done. That will not lead to much with the opponents SOS which does factor into the computers. With games against Cincy and Cuse, mixed with other factors is going to drop Rutgers a bit.

It's great that Rutgers played 2 top ten teams, however, the rest of their schedule is not good. Which will hurt them

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  549

I'm not trying to single you out, Joe.  I just don't understand how a fan of a longtime underdog school like USF or Louisville could support the BCS.  It was made by, and for, traditional powers only.  It was designed not to legitimize the NC, but to exclude half the country.

Sagarin says Rutgers schedule is currently ranked 68.

Arkansas's is ranked 81.

Virginia Tech's is ranked 69.

Wisconsin's is ranked 61.

I have no doubt whatsoever that if any of those three teams were undefeated, they would be in the NC game.

Also, Ohio State's SOS is ranked 49.  Is that so much more impressive than 68?

I am not a big fan of the BCS, but I know it is a system that directly benefits USF.

I said you can make an argument for Ohio St.'s schedule. They lose tomorrow they will sink like a rock in a pond in the standings, the computers hate them for their bad schedule.

I agree that those teams would probably be in, the reason is because they have proven to be good teams in the past. It's a ****** bias, but it's how it works. Had Vandy, Wake Forest, Baylor, or Stanford gone undefeated you'd see the same problem I guarentee it. (look where Wake is ranked now with 1 loss)

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

Tranghese told the BigEast coaches not to lobby.  He told them he didn't want to hear any ******** and they're following orders.  Petrino said the same thing.  He said they're not going to whine for sympathy votes like other coaches.

Rutgers is in the discussion, but that's all they'll get.  I don't care if they win out or not, there is no excuse for the only two undefeated BCS teams to not play for the title.  That's the main reason the BCS was invented; to make sure that only BCS teams would get a chance.  Now they want to change the game mid-season.

Where was the talk about strength-of-schedule when FSU was rolling over an embarrassingly easy ACC before the expansion?  Nobody questioned Texas's SOS last year.  Or USC's the year before.  Why not?  Why aren't we talking about Michigan's SOS?

This is the way to be.  Too many coaches have whined in the past only to have their teams crap out the next game.  Hey Harvey, hope you come back from time to time to discuss these general college football topics.  You make some interesting points.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

We have only Auburn in 2007 for a "tough" OOC game ... but I really don't give 2 flips about it. You have to be undefeated to win a National Championship ... and I will argue about SOS then  8-)

Beat L'ville !

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3

Strength of schedule should only put a one loss team in over an undefeated team if that undefeated team is from a non-BCS conference.  

No one BCS conference is that much better than the others enough to merit putting a one-loss team above an undefeated one from another.  

Plain and simple, if Rutgers goes undefeated, they deserve the national title game.  If they loose then the SOS comes into play to determine which one-loss team should go.