• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anyone else SICK and TIRED of this?!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

winning the SEC is no picnic and while they are wrong to dismiss the Big East, you may be wrong to not acknowledge that the SEC is one of the strongest football conferences in the country.

If we are on equal footing with the SEC-- that would be quite an accomplishment. But the rub on that is they have 12 teams to work with while we have only 8. Four more teams is a lot more chances to have many teams on an upswing at the same time. We happen to be in that situation in the BE but two years ago, not so much.

I'm not trying to defend them but the only way to really win any argument is to win consistently over a decent amount of time. That or ignore silly comments about who has a stronger conference or getting into debates about how team SECx would destroy the Big East.

You have to admit-- if the Gators played in the Big East, they would have a good shot at going undefeated. Vandy-- no, I don't see that as realistic and I can see hwo you woul take offense. Perhaps they are just screwing with you.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Joe...I do't think it's accurate to say Mich beat a #9 wisc team...they were not ranked there when they played.

I think you have to give RU credit for beating the #3 team in the country L'ville and if they beat wvu...wvu will probably be ranked in the top 6 or so...

You can't do that!

That would lead to all sorts of problems. Penn State was 19 when they played ND are they even close to that? No! Auburn was #2 when they lost to Arkansas, they are obviously now not the 2nd best team in the country.

Arkansas was unranked when they played USC, is it fair to say they're not a rankable team now? No!

Sorry it doesn't work that way. Wisconsin, despite their schedule is the 9th ranked team right now. I put them in the same boat as WVU, 1 loss teams that really have looked good against inferior talent.

Joe...I do't think it's accurate to say Mich beat a #9 wisc team...they were not ranked there when they played.

I think you have to give RU credit for beating the #3 team in the country L'ville and if they beat wvu...wvu will probably be ranked in the top 6 or so...

You can't do that!

That would lead to all sorts of problems. Penn State was 19 when they played ND are they even close to that? No! USC(edit) was #2 when they lost to Arkansas, they are obviously now not the 2nd best team in the country.

Arkansas was unranked when they played USC, is it fair to say they're not a rankable team now? No!

Sorry it doesn't work that way. Wisconsin, despite their schedule is the 9th ranked team right now. I put them in the same boat as WVU, 1 loss teams that really have looked good against inferior talent.

that is a valid point but if you look at our media guide, it only tells you what the team was ranked (if ranked that is) when we beat them. It is a point in time reference to the perceived strenght of the opponent.

Now I agree when you are reviewing a team's resume at the end of a season, you do need to look only at what the current perceived strength is at the end so that over/under rated teams do not skew the vaue of the wins.

one other things about that ranking at the time you played that might also need to be considered.

Let's say you beat a highly ranked team early on and during the game, you injure one (or more) of their best players. THe team then starts to tank.

Technically you beat them when they deserved the ranking. Something to consider

Guest wildrover

UF might go undefeated in the big east, absolutley, but they might not, we have teams that could beat them.  

Mike, I'll agree with a lot of your points and will concede that the SEC is tough.  My irritation comes from their complete dismissal of the Big East and I mean complete.  When I said that Louisville and WV would have just as big a shot winning the SEC as any other team in that conference, the response was that they would be 7-4 teams every year.  when I asked how they know, they start to point to stupid things like SOS and all that other garbage.  The idea that the SEC from top to bottom (more focus on the mid to bottom here) is better than any other team in any other conference is stupid.  Finally, the top tier of the SEC is definitely top tier, but they don't sit on that tier by themselves, the PAC 10, Big 10, Big 12 and even the Big East have teams that deservedly have spots on that same mantle, SEC fans just refuse to accept the fact they have teams that can be beat by teams in other conferences, its the arrogance that really irks me.  They are the ones who started it by sending me the link in the first place, when I didn't agree that a middle of the road SEC team wouldn't dominate in the big east they took offense, then they took even more offense when I said our best could play with their best, of course nobody really knows until it gets done on the field but even that statement isn't enough of a compromise for the typical SEC fan.  

• Topic Count:  879
  • Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

You can't do that!

That would lead to all sorts of problems. Penn State was 19 when they played ND are they even close to that? No! Auburn was #2 when they lost to Arkansas, they are obviously now not the 2nd best team in the country.

Sorry but it DOES work that way....We beat L'ville last yr...9th ranked team in the nation not where ever they finished.

You have to go off of how the teams were ranked/perceived at the time the game occurred.

Is it fair to say when USC beat arkansas they were not the same team they are now? I say YES as they were blown out at home 50-14. Pre-season rankings are all BS anyway.

Think about this WVU blew away UGA so they started the season ranked highly and stayed there. RU lost a bowl game and hasn't lost since but it took them forever to move up in the rankings....this among a million other reasons is why we need a playoff system.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

Have you seen LSU play? When they pull their heads out of thier asses long enough to play, they are one of the top 5 teams in the country.

That's what I'm talking about.  You want to talk about strength-of-schedule but who has LSU beaten?  They looked horrible beating a mediocre Tennessee team by 4.  And......        They have done absolutely nothing else to deserve being called a "top 5 team in the country".  It's all tradition and name recognition.  SEC hype.  They beat UT by four and UK 49-0, therefore, they are a top five team.  !?!?

;D

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Rockytop, please explain to me who Arkansas played to get to where they are. The only 2 times they played a decent team, they lost.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

ul/wv need to play big boy schedules if they want to be considered for a NC

please see their SOS

wv isnt even a top 25 team.they play two tough teams ul and usf and got smoked .

theri "2" great players would never survive a florida or iusc type schedule