• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dell:  Grothe's goal is for silence

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

tanbg-navytab.gif

Grothe's goal is for silence

Alan Dell

Louisville's Papa John's Stadium has become a House of Horrors for opposing teams in recent years. The Cardinals have won 16 straight at home and are 20-1 there under head coach Bobby Petrino.

Despite overwhelming odds and a history of trouble every time it leaves the state, the University of South Florida football team is looking forward to its visit Saturday night.

USF quarterback Matt Grothe senses something different might happen and his teammates are not dismissing his words as those coming from a naive freshman.

Grothe has earned credibility. He ranks first nationally among freshman quarterbacks and 11th overall in total offense, averaging 258 yards per game.

His goal: He wants to silence 55,000 screaming fans.

Grothe looks forward to playing in front of a hostile crowd against a hungry team that saw its national title hopes evaporate in a loss to Rutgers last week.

"I like playing on the road better then at home," Grothe said. "I like getting booed and then you make a big play and you can hear a pin drop. Hopefully, we will be hearing a lot of that."

Given the Bulls history on the road and Louisville's record at home, a USF victory seems a tall order. The only team that has a longer home win streak is Southern California with 31.

The Bulls have not had many joyful experiences when they travel, including losses at Kansas and Cincinnati this season where their offense was anemic.

"I don't think there are too many people that expect us to win and they are about a 161/2 point favorite," Grothe said. ""But if we play like we know how to and not have turnovers, which is the biggest thing, we will be fine."

With a road game at West Virginia next week, the Bulls (7-3, 3-2 in Big East Conference) have a say in where they get a bowl bid and could finish near the top of the league standings.

Louisville (8-1, 3-1) is fighting for a Big East championship and the Cardinals have the added incentive of avenging last year's 45-14 loss at Raymond James Stadium.

USF got burned in its last visit to Papa John's two years ago when the Cards tagged them with a 41-9 thrashing.

USF defensive backs Mike Jenkins and Trae Williams, who played in the game two years ago at Louisville, believe the Bulls will have a better mental approach.

"Going on the road is so much about what's in your head. It's all mental," said Jenkins, a Southeast High graduate. "We are motivated to prove we can play in cold weather on the road. Some guys play better at home when they have their friends and family there and the stadium noise is a big thing. But for me, I don't care where we play."

Bulls notebook

USF head coach Jim Leavitt issued a brief statement on his decision to dismiss receiver Jackie Chambers and offensive lineman Thed Watson from the team on Monday. In part it read, "You've got to go to class. Your degree has got to be your priority. If that's not the case, then we're going to move forward." Chambers had previously missed the first six games of the season because of a reported failed drug test ... Jenkins said he will give his extra tickets to Louisville linebacker Abe Brown, a graduate of Booker High.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  502
  • Content Count:  5,903
  • Days Won:  1

[highlight]"I like playing on the road better then at home," Grothe said. "I like getting booed and then you make a big play and you can hear a pin drop. Hopefully, we will be hearing a lot of that."[/highlight]

That's saying a lot! I hope he can turn this team's away record!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

so they were kicked off the team for not going to class? WOW

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Boy oh Boy I love Matt's confidence.... But Man he is giving the crowd there bulletin board material!

Guest r_to_the_izzo

I agree with your feelings. I understand that Thed had grade problems, but unless he missed every signle class and was failing I just don't understand ending his senior season 3 games early.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I agree with your feelings. I understand that Thed had grade problems, but unless he missed every signle class and was failing I just don't understand ending his senior season 3 games early.

Because it was neither's first offense.

Thed was going to be red-shirted because off academics.  If academics are an issue, you sure as hell better attend class.  I think CJL felt he was helping Thed by red-shirting him and Thed in turn betrayed him by not even going to class.  i know that's how I'd feel.

With Chambers, CJL just had enough.  Twice caught with pot and now this.

Also, many are assuming this is the first time these guys failed to attend class.  It may have been a habitual problem for both of them, and CJL had it.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If this was no a first offense, as seems likely, maybe they made promises to CJL which they failed to perform.  No coach would kick a kid off with no warning except for extreme problems.

• Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Glad Matt is the optimist and there is no reason he shouldn't be.  The Bulls have a hell of a shot to win the next three games!  If the defense can stuff Brohm and stuff him early, USF should be very competitive in this game.  We just cannot afford the number of turnovers that we've averaged as of late and expect to win.  Looserville will make us pay for those...  

Of the two getting the boot...

Thed Watson is a Senior, if he can't be trusted to set a good example by now... well you don't want that kind of bad-ism on a team from a "leader".    

I really feel bad for Chambers though.  He has gone through the ringer with family losses.  Unfortunately he's been in trouble more often than not.  Didn't he get into a fight on campus last summer?  Put the second failed drug test in there to boot and I see why Leavitt would pull the trigger.    

• Topic Count:  515
  • Content Count:  7,379
  • Days Won:  3

You see a lot of kids who think they are heading to the NFL sign up for classes their senior season and then NEVER show up for class. That use to happen a lot and then I think they made a rule about the kids needing eligibility from the Fall for a bowl game. Many kids did not make it.

It is possible Thed registered and then never showed up to class. If that is the case then Leavitt moving on will help us a bit when it comes to the bowl game since Thed would not be eligible for it anyway.