• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Is Matt Grothe the best quarterback in Florida?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Tebow has passed, but not much, however he had that pass against LSU to seal the the game (not the jump pass)

Grothe is a Bull and he's going to be a special player, am I asking him to be Tim Tebow? No! He's a different player in many aspects (power, etc.)

I watched Tebow in the state final in Miami last year (Friend of mine was an Armwood grad), I'll say this he is a kid that has the potential to be unlike anything we've seen in college football. Potential is the word. Tebow has made several great plays for UF this year. However, without Leak's passing ability they don't move the ball to get Tebow in those positions.

I think come 2008 we'll have a debate over who is the better QB, Grothe and Tebow. Should be fun.

However, lets enjoy the fact that right now we KNOW that we have at LEAST the 2nd best QB in the state of Florida based on on field performances. Don't worry about Leak, Tebow, Pedrick, Moffit, or even Julmiste.  Grothe is a special player who will help us contend for the BE in the next 3 seasons.

did you see Tebow's pass against USC this weekend? Missed a wide open guy 5 yards away for a TD from like the 15 yard line. He has no touch. Unless he throws up a jump ball!! This kid is on the juice. anybody who thinks any different is kidding themselves. He's just a linebacker that plays QB.

Grothe has proven it on the field consistently already. Nobody knows how Tebow will fulfill his potential. How's Portis working out for the Gators? He was supposed the be the next big thing.

Dingleberry,

If you think Wright is a better QB  than Grothe, then you probably think R Leaf was better than D Flutie. Weatherford is so good he doesn't even play anymore.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bull94, where did I suggest Kyle Wright was better than Grothe? Grothe is the 2nd best QB right now and you could make the argument (althought I think it might be a stretch at this point) that he is the best QB in Florida.

I'm not going to base Tebow's performance on one pass that was a designed run. Tebow broke a good majority of the state passing records while in high school, including compeltions and passing yards. I think he'll be fine in that department.

As for Josh Portis, I dunno much about the kid outside that he left UF for an ACC school. However, I do know he was recruited by many teams to be a DB. Comparing Tebow to Portis is probably not a fair comparison.

I agree though Grothe has proven it, and is without a doubt the best QB not named Leak in the state of Florida at this point.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Tebow has passed, but not much, however he had that pass against LSU to seal the the game (not the jump pass)

Grothe is a Bull and he's going to be a special player, am I asking him to be Tim Tebow? No! He's a different player in many aspects (power, etc.)

I watched Tebow in the state final in Miami last year (Friend of mine was an Armwood grad), I'll say this he is a kid that has the potential to be unlike anything we've seen in college football. Potential is the word. Tebow has made several great plays for UF this year. However, without Leak's passing ability they don't move the ball to get Tebow in those positions.

I think come 2008 we'll have a debate over who is the better QB, Grothe and Tebow. Should be fun.

However, lets enjoy the fact that right now we KNOW that we have at LEAST the 2nd best QB in the state of Florida based on on field performances. Don't worry about Leak, Tebow, Pedrick, Moffit, or even Julmiste.  Grothe is a special player who will help us contend for the BE in the next 3 seasons.

did you see Tebow's pass against USC this weekend? Missed a wide open guy 5 yards away for a TD from like the 15 yard line. He has no touch. Unless he throws up a jump ball!! This kid is on the juice. anybody who thinks any different is kidding themselves. He's just a linebacker that plays QB.

Grothe has proven it on the field consistently already. Nobody knows how Tebow will fulfill his potential. How's Portis working out for the Gators? He was supposed the be the next big thing.

Dingleberry,

If you think Wright is a better QB  than Grothe, then you probably think R Leaf was better than D Flutie. Weatherford is so good he doesn't even play anymore.

So you judge someone by one play rather than their entire body of work?  Ive seen tebow play in numerous games in high school and he can make all the throws from touch passes to balls that are required to be rockets.  Also where does your steroid aqusation come from? Got any proof or are you just throwing hate around because you dont like the gators?  Quite possibly the worst post comparing the two i have ever seen.    

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

Okay buddy...?

Weatherford is garbage huh?  That is why he was TOP rated QB in the ACC last year.  That is why as a Redshirt freshmen he LED his team to an ACC championship.  

You guys live in freakin lally land.

Matt Grothe over Troy Smith... Do you hear yourself say that?

Yeah beating Texas IN AUSTIN is no big deal.  I mean its not like they are something like 40 - 1 over the last 5 years there.

You guys must be drinking the same kool-aid as Mac.

Who the heck has USF played and beaten.  We lost to freakin Kansas and Cincinatti on the road?

Who has Troy Smith beaten..   Maybe Iowa, Penn St, Texas....   Maybe he is 25-2 as a starter.

Put down the pipe and have a pill of reality.  Matt Grothe is good.  Not excellent.  But good.  Will he be good?  probably.  He most likely will be really good.  But Matt Grothe would never in his wildest dreams start in Gainesville over 6-3 Tim Tebow.

What has Tebow done...?  He has only been instumental in the Gators wins over Tenn, South Carolina, Georgia and LSU....

if you really look at the numbers -- USF hasn't beaten anyone!

Did you see the Tebow 15 yard TD run with 2 mins to go to put the Gators ahead in the game against South Carolina... Or how about the 4th and 5 run he converted for a first down when the gators were on their own 30 with 5 mins to go.?  

When people start talking about Matt Grothe being better thne Troy Smith -- that is when the laugh patrol starts forming.

i love the bulls -- but am surprised to say the least at how wacky some of you are.

Guest Ari_Hinkelberger

I mean did any of you guys watch Troy Smith totally smoke #5 notre dame in the Fiesta Bowl lasy year?  

Maybe you guys were to busy watcihng USF Baskeball...

Let me remind you of his numbers

He was 19 for 28 with 342 yards passing and 2 tds -- no ints.

Or how about his numbers for the 2005 season??

He threw for over 2k yards -- 16 TD's and only 4 Ints

Maybe his 2006 numbers aren't good enough for you either??

He has passed for over 2K yards again -- and a measley 26 TD's and 4 Ints...

Put the crack pipe down boys..

Call me when grothe throws for 47 TD's and 8 ints his junior and senior season and we can debate this a little more.

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

ok lets put this to rest, jeese, you guys are so flipflopy what was smiths fresh stats?? compare those to Grothe and then talk I mean who the Hell cares really if T-bow is better or not or smith is better are they Bulls? no.

I find it so funny that the same people that are saying t-bow is such a good Q-back because you watched him in High school, are the same ones who said that Grothe was not good enough to start for usf because all he had played is high school and you can not compare the two because he has not proven anything at d-1 level. so make up your minds and please dont use something when it benefits you and the topic. And as I said I dont care who is better really I just know that Matt has proved he can play D-1 ball and has and will win games for the Bulls!!!!!

Guest r_to_the_izzo

Troy didnt play  as a freshman. Or much as a sophomore. So the only comparison there is, Troy Smith didn't play early, and Matt has put up huge yards and TD's, with turnovers too.

The first time Smith was a true starter was his junior year (last year): 63% 16 td's 4 Int's 600+ yards rushing and 11 td's there.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Troy was actually a RB his freshman year, people said he couldn't play QB either.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

OK, let me finish the argument once and for all.  The very fact that we are having this discussion is a great sign that USF football is probably on the edge of great, great things.  ;)  Can we at least agree that that statement is true.

Now, to reignite the argument, my personal take is that if Grothe stays healthy that in a couple of years the people that say they would take someone else over Grothe will totally forget that they ever thought about such things.  It will be like selective amnesia.   ;D

All I know for sure is that I for one am glad that Grothe is a bull.  Marquel Blackwell was a great quarterback and all but we have gone to a whole new level of performance against a whole new level of competition.  GROTHEEEEEEE!

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Bull94, where did I suggest Kyle Wright was better than Grothe? Grothe is the 2nd best QB right now and you could make the argument (althought I think it might be a stretch at this point) that he is the best QB in Florida.

I'm not going to base Tebow's performance on one pass that was a designed run. Tebow broke a good majority of the state passing records while in high school, including compeltions and passing yards. I think he'll be fine in that department.

As for Josh Portis, I dunno much about the kid outside that he left UF for an ACC school. However, I do know he was recruited by many teams to be a DB. Comparing Tebow to Portis is probably not a fair comparison.

I agree though Grothe has proven it, and is without a doubt the best QB not named Leak in the state of Florida at this point.

Joe,

I didn't say you thought Wright was better than Grothe. Ari Dingleberry said that. He also thought Weatherford was better. I only pointed out that Weatherford has been benched and wright is terrible. Not sure who he is refering to about T Smith but I never said Grothe was better. Matt still has some time left in college to improve though.

I agree with you Joe. I think the stats show that Grothe is by far at least the 2nd best QB in the state. I don't care about potential. Only actual stats.

Steve,

you may be somewhat biased becasue I believe Tebow's body of work as you call it is somewhat limited. He's thrown exactly 19 passes in college. He has 2 TD passes and one of them didn't look like any pass I have ever seen. Hardly a body of work. He's done more work as a runner in college then he has as a QB. I could care less what he did in high school. There have been many stud high school QB's that have never amounted to squat in  college. I believe the arguement was concerning college not what they accomplished in high school.

I don't care about the Gators. In fact I'm indifferent to them. I'm tired of the hype that players get before they have ever stepped onto the field of play. Both in college and the pros.

It's funny how more "USF fans"  on a USF message board get their panties in a bunch over what is said about the UF qb.