• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bowl Analysis -- South Florida

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

Here are a few of the most-likely scenarios needed for USF to get a bowl bid (may be others not included herein).

1. Beat both Pitt & Syracuse to get to 7 wins on the season, hope Notre Dame or the WVU/UL loser gets a BCS bid.

> NCAA bylaws state that a 7-5 USF team would get the nod over a 6-6 Cincinnati team for a Big East Bowl.  If neither Notre Dame nor the WVU/UL loser do not get a BCS bid, there will be at least one more eligible team than slots available.

2. Beat Syracuse and finish 6-6, hope Cincinnati loses out, hope Notre Dame or the WVU/UL loser gets a BCS bid.

> This would mean there are just enough teams for the Big East slots.  If neither Notre Dame nor the WVU/UL loser do not get a BCS bid, there will be one more eligible team than slots available; and since USF would be the only 6-6 team, the NCAA bylaws state that the other Big East teams must be selected before USF.

3. Beat Syracuse and finish 6-6 along with Cincinnati, hope both Notre Dame and the WVU/UL loser get BCS bids.

> This would mean the Big East has two BCS bids and four slots for USF, Rutgers, Pitt, and Cincy.  For this to happen, Boise State will have to lose and Cal will need to beat USC, and the WVU/UL loser would need to win the rest of its games -- at the very least.

The full Bowl Analysis will be posted tomorrow.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403
  • Days Won:  0

in that 3rd scenerio, you dont think that USC would still get a BCS bid if they only lost to Cal?  

hum...6 champs and notre dame.  most likely another from big 10 and SEC.  that's 9.  you dont think that last spot would be USC even if they lost to cal if they managed to beat notre dame, UCLA, and oregon?  obviously boise would get that spot anyway unless they lose, but USC might get the 2nd SEC's spot because everyone loves USC.

hopefully it's a moot point anyway and lots of teams beat USC.  just need 1 to beat boise...come on WAC teams...

i just hope, unless USF beats them, that WVU and UL get enough respect to beat out either the #2 pac-10 team or the #2 SEC team if boise gets in.

with notre dame in, there are only 3 open spots for 2nd Big East, SEC, Big 10, or PAC 10.  boise would take one.  big 10 seems like a lock to get both in.  so if boise makes it in it would seem to be a race between big east, SEC, and pac 10 for 1 spot.  right now that would be USC or SEC team.  oh well.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We gotta win 7 to have a chance (like ive been saying since we got our 5th W) and 8 to pretty much be a lock.  Its a tough hill to climb and we will need to play our best in every single game left to make it happen.  I hope we saved our best for last.  

We gotta win 7 to have a chance (like ive been saying since we got our 5th W) and 8 to pretty much be a lock.  Its a tough hill to climb and we will need to play our best in every single game left to make it happen.  I hope we saved our best for last.  

6 wins works if cincy loses against UConn or wvu/lu/rutgers gets 2nd BCS spot.  that would be easier if boise lost just 1 game; then, big east would only have to get a 2nd team over pac-10 or SEC (which could happen if USC loses a few more, including Cal, or SEC teams lose some).

that seems like a chance to me.

7 wins is almost guaranteed to get us in

keep in mind there will most likely be other bowls available that other conferences dont fill.

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574

Just win... PERIOD.

• Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

7 wins we are in... 6-6 hello off season!

• Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293

USC is going to lose 2 more games this year.

our Bowl game is Pitt next week.  Win that and we are in, because if we beat Pitt we shouldnt have a problem with Cuse.

WV and Louisville are 2 different stories tho, since they are on the road.

in that 3rd scenerio, you dont think that USC would still get a BCS bid if they only lost to Cal?  

hum...6 champs and notre dame.  most likely another from big 10 and SEC.  that's 9.  you dont think that last spot would be USC even if they lost to cal if they managed to beat notre dame, UCLA, and oregon?  obviously boise would get that spot anyway unless they lose, but USC might get the 2nd SEC's spot because everyone loves USC.

hopefully it's a moot point anyway and lots of teams beat USC.  just need 1 to beat boise...come on WAC teams...

Not with their loss to Oregon State yesterday.  I also think USC will lose to both Cal and Notre Dame.

There are a lot of possibilities... I think the 2nd SEC team will be Tennessee, which will end up higher than the loser of the SEC Championship game... unless they lose to LSU or Arkansas.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

CFN is predicting Ohio vs USF in the International Bowl.

Get your passports ready.

I am not prepared to make bowl predictions about either of my alma maters, especially with alma mater #3 looking to play spoiler to #1 in Ypsilanti next week. However, it would be pretty freakin' awesome to have Ohio playing USF. I'll cheer for whichever school has the most girls show up at my party.