• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Punishing a running QB

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

I was listening to the Ohio State coaches show last week prior to their game with Indiana.  He was talking about something that was pertinent to Grothe.  Jim Tressel was commenting on the mobility of the freshman QB at Indiana and how he was a run / pass threat that they had to contain.  No big suprise there.  But the one thing he said that stood out in my mind was the following.  He emphasized to his players that if the Indiana QB was going to run that they had better punish him badly for doing that.  In other words, take your best shot to keep him contained.  This seems pertinent to Grothe because that is what teams are beginning to do to MG.  It seems like the last 2-3 games especially that every time he takes off they are teeing off on him.  MG is a great runner but not a huge kid and there is a price to be paid.  We saw it often on Sunday night against UC.  My thoughts are to give the ball more often to Ponton and pick your spots for MG to run...but not so often that they are expecting it.  Add more play-action to hold the linebackers just as if MG were going to run but hand the ball off.  We can't afford to have teams teeing off on our QB who is the heart-and-soul and the future of this team.  Thoughts?

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

grothe is such an accurate passer  and as good a runner he is i think a more traditional offense with a fb and tb would make grothe that much more effective by giving him more options

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

We should ditch the spread and run a more conventional offense.  The only reason I can think for keeping the spread is that the spread is designed for less talented teams to keep defenses spread out and move the ball.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

I think play action would have beaten Cincy at their own game. Their coach said that the d was predicated on speed and reaction. Play action either beats or slows down that reaction time.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think play action would have beaten Cincy at their own game. Their coach said that the d was predicated on speed and reaction. Play action either beats or slows down that reaction time.

yup that was one of my major beefs with the play calling angainst UC, not enough true screens (not wr or bubble screens), play action, or misdirection plays to take advantage of a quick overpersuing defense.  

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  0

I think Grothe would do well in any type of offense.  It's just a matter of preference. There really isn't a system that is better than others.  It depends on what type of players you have and how well you execute.  

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

Running a conventional offense requires more talent on the o-line.  We don't have the talent right now to make a good push off the ball.  

In regards to punishing a mobile QB:  I would assume that UC had that as their number one game plan.  Not only punishing Matt physically, but bum-rushing him constantly to rattle him.

IMO, that loss was just not the bulls.  UC had an excellent game plan.  They might not of played up to their potential, but they stuck to their plan.  And it paid off.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

Running a conventional offense requires more talent on the o-line.  We don't have the talent right now to make a good push off the ball.  

In regards to punishing a mobile QB:  I would assume that UC had that as their number one game plan.  Not only punishing Matt physically, but bum-rushing him constantly to rattle him.

IMO, that loss was just not the bulls.  UC had an excellent game plan.  They might not of played up to their potential, but they stuck to their plan.  And it paid off.

Excellent.  That was UC's game plan.  They came in saying to themselves that when Grothe takes off to run we are going to punish him badly for that.  That is different than a gameplan that says we need to contain Grothe.  It is a mindset difference.  Instead of being pursued feeling like they were going to get killed by Grothe they went in believing they could punish him for running at him.  The pursued became the pursuer.  Same way with passing.  They were the aggressor all night from the defensive side of the ball and that is what won them the game.  We eventually caved under that pressure because we had no answer.  That is the OC's fault...but I bet he will learn from that.  That is different then what other teams have been doing the past few weeks.  And it worked for UC.  We better be prepared for an onslaught of this type of defense the next few weeks and we better have a plan for it...or it is going to be along few games and then questioning of Rod Smith will be warranted.