• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Shakeup Needed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Nothing against you Bien but we did get beat by a team with CDOA talent not BE talent. I believe Cincy is new to the BE as well.

My problem with this staff is that their logic confounds me. They call timeouts to let other teams set up for field goals when time otherwise expire, let them contemplate going for it on 4th downs, etc.

They don't use the top recruit RB talent we have to try and establish the run against a tough D. They go to the walk-on talent instead. I don't get their line of thinking sometimes.

At the end of the first half against Kansas, when Kansas intercepted the ball on their own 1/2 yard line, why didn't we call a timeout with 1 second left? Make them run a play. We took a timeout to the locker room.

It's these little things that make me believe these coaches won't be able to get everything out of this program. Nothing against CJL and company but as you get closer to the top levels of competition, there is less room for error.

You can't lose games against UCONN and Cincy when the BE is on the line. UCONN joined the BE in 2004. They have been 1-a for as long as we have and they beat Florida talent with Conneticut talent. Cincy has the same CDOA talent we have.

No excuse.

so, and they're just about as talented against us.  We lost to a team that's equally as talented as us, or slightly better.  Logical since our series is knotted at 2 games a piece, but why do people presume we're better then them?  Logic aside it confounds me how some people on this board thought we're so much better than CInci and we should just walk-up there and win by 30.  We're not Miami, some how there must have been a mix-up on this site and some UM fans were inadvertently directed to this site instead of miami rivals.  I hate to be the bearer of bad news but our talent level has been comparable to Cinci, and they've got a good coaching staff too.  They've been recruiting at the 1-A level a lot longer than us, but yet last year we beat them bad, bouncing back after they throttled us up in Cinci the year before.  Cinci's facilities put ours to shame, and they've been recruiting well enough the past few years to keep up.  These teams play the game too.  I will get concerned after this year if we lose to non-BCS opponents but if everytime we lose to any BCS opponent, or conference foe this place goes on meltdown mode and smazza blindly calls for firing then we'll have an unbearable board.

Uconn is just about as talented as us too....and they've got worlds better facilities and attendance then we do.  This blind belief we're some super star program is confusing, we're still trying to recruit BCS.

As for the game decisions, Ponton had more carries then Williams 9 to William's 5 so I don't think we under used Ponton.  They're trying to use Williams, the goalline safety is BS, we can all 2nd guess that call but like someone put it Barry Sanders couldn't have escaped that onslaught.  Their DL blew up our OL, pure and simple our OL got their asses kicked on that play and the call was on the players there not the coaches, Ponton wouldn't have made a bit of difference.  Also, Ponton is not big enough right now to be a 25-30 carry a guy, 15-20, so you're going to need a change of pace to give Ricky breathers, that's just the way it is.  Remember if it wasn't for a freak ACL tear the change of pace would be Plancher and we wouldn't be having this discussion, again you can't blame the staff for an ACL tear.

The timeout against Kansas?  That's pushing it a bit since there was like 6 seconds left before the half.  Not a huge mistake, good way to think of things after the fact.

After the fact? I was screaming at him to call a timeout at the game. He must not realize that the rule has changed this year. Not a huge mistake  but I bet a lot of top coaches would have made them run a play.

How about his timeout against Cincy? They were obviously going to punt the ball when Leavitt called a timeout because he had no one back to catch the punt. The result was Cincy decided to go for it. Didn't hurt us in the end but it will in the future.

He called a timeout against someone  before the end of the half. They kicked a field goal. Time would have run out.

These are not isolated incidences. Happens all the time. Army homecoming game- we are at their 35 witha 4th and 1. Try to draw them off. Calls a timeout and punts. why not take the 5 yard penalty? Time runs out at the end of the game with us driving for the winning score. No timeouts left.

You don't think we under used Ponton?? He is our #1 guy and he carried the ball 9 times!!!  He didn't need a breather. Williams carried it 6. We ran the ball like 95% of the first 20 plays and yet our #1 recruited RB touches it like 3 times.

Our lines played awful and the safety probably would have happened if Ponton were in there but that doesn't excuse the fact that these guys logic is flawed. Ponton still should be the one in there.

I know you find absolutely no fault in what they do but I don't think these guys can take us to the next level if they can't beat teams like Cincy and UCONN in these situations. There is no way those teams have better talent than we do. Why do you think they recruit Florida so heavily?

I bet Tiger Woods never used that "I'm too young to win" excuse.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  0

You have to answers then other than "these guys can't do it"  Who will do it?  It's not like we will have our pick of any coach in the country.  If we were to hire a new coach, who would be on the short list.  Do we know these guys would be upgrades?

You have to answers then other than "these guys can't do it"  Who will do it?  It's not like we will have our pick of any coach in the country.  If we were to hire a new coach, who would be on the short list.  Do we know these guys would be upgrades?

I don't have the answers. That's why we have an AD. I just don't see their coaching skills translating into consistent wins against tougher competition.

They get too flustered in big games and make way to many mental errors. Maybe he's too hopped up on Pepsi??

Leavitt looked like a deer in the headlights for his halftime interview at the UCONN game last year. I knew then we wouldn't win.

Players feed off of the coaches confidence and he showed absolutely none.

They came out flat against cincy. It's the coaches responsibility to get the players ready physically and mentally for the games.

Maybe we just need a strategist (some NFL teams use these now) and a motivational speaker?

When they do get these guys playing, we can steamroll some teams though. I definitely think we have the talent.

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  0

Has anyone on this board ever been a coach at any level?  It is an unbelievable experience seeing things that you thought were great decsions go up in flames and mistakes turn in to game winning plays.  

I don't think I have ever been any more angry at playcalling than during the UCONN game last year.  That series at the goal line still baffles me.

Not sure if this is the time to roll heads at USF.  Coaching changes don't always end up bringing positive results.  Witness the Ole Miss change from David Cutcliffe.

Has anyone on this board ever been a coach at any level?  It is an unbelievable experience seeing things that you thought were great decsions go up in flames and mistakes turn in to game winning plays.  

I don't think I have ever been any more angry at playcalling than during the UCONN game last year.  That series at the goal line still baffles me.

Not sure if this is the time to roll heads at USF.  Coaching changes don't always end up bringing positive results.  Witness the Ole Miss change from David Cutcliffe.

It may be time to take that risk. Look how it has worked in UFs case.

Leavitt reminds me a lot of Zook. They both get flustered and panic at inopportune times. They do have their moments when they get the team up for big home games but they always choke against a team they should handle easily. Their game management is atrocious.

Year after Year CJL and company have called plays, timeouts, set starters, recruited QB talent, etc. that have made me think they were lost. How in the world can you call a fake punt at your own 25 with 15 minutes left to play and down by 9?? They gave the game away right there. High risk: low reward. Kick it away and rely on your D for a 3 and out.

Did anybody notice Williams ( a walk-on 5'7" RB) split out wide against Kansas with the game on the line? Did you notice all of the stud scholarship receivers standing on the sideline?? Why make personel decsions like that? inexplicable.

Why would PJ start ahead of Grothe ever?? He should have started as a true freshman. Hall and Grothe in the backfield would have been a thing of beauty.  It works for Tex and Ark.

Why would you call voodoo 5 on 4th and 1 at the opponents 25 yard line (UNC)? luckily it worked but an absolutely terrible call. way too risky a call in that situation. not the first time either.

This stuff is basic coaching strategy that these guys don't get. I wish they were half as poised as our QB.

I think this program has passed them by and it's time to find a staff that can handle the pressure of major college football. We're not mid major anymore and our talent won't be able to bail them out of all of these terrible decisions anymore.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The only change in coaching that I see needs to be made is OC.  I think Smith is too young and inexperienced and maybe just not talented enough to take us to the next level.  I base this on the his inability to make adjustments against defenses that adjust to hsi moves.  It's been his pattern for the last two years.  he was outcoached.  against Cincy.  Plain and simple he did nothing to help Grothe out.  It was a poor game plan and when it was shut down, he did nothing to make it better.

Step back and look at the way the Cincy game played out.  Nothing was happening on offense and the fumble that got run back was a result of Johnson trying to make something happen.  it was a mistake of aggressiveness.  Nothing wrong with that.  One of Jeremy Burnett's pops could have easily resulted in a fumble going the other way.  It didn't and too bad for us.  If it did, different ball game.

Nothing was happening on offense period.  This wasn't the first time Leavitt gambled on a fake punt.  i think Baker was standing on our own goal line in the bowl game last year.  Again, he was trying to make something happen.  He had the balls to try it.  Dumb call, I agree, but he has rolled the dice before.

Let's see what happens after all these Freshmen and Sophomores that started this year finsih up in a few years before we conclude we need to get rid of Leavitt.  

Looking forward, I would prefer to be in our position than even Rutgers position for next year.  they have Rice next year, but they are losing a hell of a lot.  they may be a lot like UCONN from 3 years ago.  They are losing 9 starters on offense to graduation including 2 all americans and then another 5 or 6 on defense.  they shoot their wad this year and have to rebuild for a couple of years.  On the other hand, we are pretty close this year and we lose what, 5 SRs off the entire team with a great deal of talent coming up behind them.

There seems to be a lot of foolish suggestions about the coaching staff around here.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i have coached coached from pee wee to highschoo;

watched the game over 40 years

and i have seen things at usf never seen before

give old miss 2 more years before you pass judgment

leavitt has had 10 years and hasnt won a bowl game, or conference championship

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

My $0.02. Plancher does not start if Ricky doesn't get suspended. That was the Leavitt spin machine taking attention away from Ricky's habit.

Other than that... I will puke on myself if I see someone ever state that UConn has comparable talent to us in football. Bad coaching and QB play gave that game to UConn last year.

On the Cinci game... run Ricky run... nine times though? He should have had nine carries by halftime. Seeing a walk-on half as talented as Ricky getting carries Ricky should have is discouraging.

These last four games will be brutal. I just hope we get one win as to see some bowl action this season. I feel for whatever bowl takes us though. Our traveling attendance will be dismal. At least Matt will get some experience.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

On the Cinci game... run Ricky run... nine times though? He should have had nine carries by halftime. Seeing a walk-on half as talented as Ricky getting carries Ricky should have is discouraging.

I agree 100%.  We had a bad game plan going in.

The only change in coaching that I see needs to be made is OC.  I think Smith is too young and inexperienced and maybe just not talented enough to take us to the next level.  I base this on the his inability to make adjustments against defenses that adjust to hsi moves.  It's been his pattern for the last two years.  he was outcoached.  against Cincy.  Plain and simple he did nothing to help Grothe out.  It was a poor game plan and when it was shut down, he did nothing to make it better.

Step back and look at the way the Cincy game played out.  Nothing was happening on offense and the fumble that got run back was a result of Johnson trying to make something happen.  it was a mistake of aggressiveness.  Nothing wrong with that.  One of Jeremy Burnett's pops could have easily resulted in a fumble going the other way.  It didn't and too bad for us.  If it did, different ball game.

Nothing was happening on offense period.  This wasn't the first time Leavitt gambled on a fake punt.  i think Baker was standing on our own goal line in the bowl game last year.  Again, he was trying to make something happen.  He had the balls to try it.  Dumb call, I agree, but he has rolled the dice before.

Let's see what happens after all these Freshmen and Sophomores that started this year finsih up in a few years before we conclude we need to get rid of Leavitt.  

Looking forward, I would prefer to be in our position than even Rutgers position for next year.  they have Rice next year, but they are losing a hell of a lot.  they may be a lot like UCONN from 3 years ago.  They are losing 9 starters on offense to graduation including 2 all americans and then another 5 or 6 on defense.  they shoot their wad this year and have to rebuild for a couple of years.  On the other hand, we are pretty close this year and we lose what, 5 SRs off the entire team with a great deal of talent coming up behind them.

There seems to be a lot of foolish suggestions about the coaching staff around here.

I'm all about taking risks but calculated ones. What did we have to gain by faking the punt? A first down at our 30 yard line. What did we have to lose? Obviously an easy score to basically ice the game for them. Not enough reward for the risk taken.

I am so tired of this "we're to young" excuse. This is Leavitt propaganda. He's been quoted in the papers several times about how our kids are too young. Now our fans believe it. I bet our players read papers and believe it too. This is nothing more than a reason to fail. Why doesn't he just tell them we're too slow or we're too small.

Do you think Tiger Woods dad told him that he was too young to beat 16 year olds when he was 10? Hell no. How about Mack at texas? Do you think he reminds his true freshman QB that he is too young to compete at this level? I bet not. What about Nutt over at Arkansas? Does he fire Mustain up by telling him he is too young to beat #2 Auburn on the road? By saying this stuff in the papers, Leavitt has his team and fans believing that we shouldn't expect to win because we are too young. We go into games expecting to lose.

What's going to be the excuse next year? inexperienced linebackers? Last I checked every team in the country plays with 18-22 year olds.

I would much rather be in Rutgers position. They are 7-0 and still in the hunt for a conference title as well as BCS birth . Who cares about next year. This year isn't over yet. Looking forward to next year is for teams that are losing. I bet the NFL lions are looking forward to next year while the bears are kicking ass this year. "There's always next year" is lame.

I agree with Sheriff. I think Plancher being named #1 was because Leavitt knew Ponton would be suspended. I think Leavitt still has something against Ponton and he better get over it quick. The kid more than paid his dues. Look at Miami's guys. or even the Gators D tackle. They were punished far less for far worse (equal in the case of gators guy) offenses.