• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching Shakeup Needed

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

gosh I goofed, it gets so confusing all those top 20 BE teams.  Thanks triple, my bad.  I was going to use Miami because they always seem to be one of the most penalized teams but I guess they aren't winning as much now but they have done better on the penalties.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  26

1. As ESPN pointed out last night, USF is almost dead last in the nation in penalties. Most of the penalties we get are personal fouls or stupid mistakes. Again, it comes down to discipline, which is due to poor coaching

If you believe this BullsBucs, do you also feel that Rutgars is a poorly coached team ?  They are leading everyone in penalties ?

Yes daBull, I do believe this...BUT, if you would have continued reading the entire post, instead of trying to impress everyone with the fact that you can look up stats, you would have probably understood my point. Since you didn't, my point is.....It is not just one of those five points that I highlighted, but all of them together that make USF a poorly coached team. So, do some research and let us all know if Florida or WVU or Rutgars (as you call them), or any other decent team:

1. Has players trying to field and return punts at their own 2 yard line

2. Does not utilize their best running back, but instead, they run their QB until he gets injured.

3. Calls a fake punt down only 9 points with a whole quarter to play in their own territory.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Not just saying this after last night's debacle,

Well, actually, you are!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Not just saying this after last night's debacle, but the Cincy game just continued to show what is painfully obvious. A lot of these losses (and near losses to crappy teams) can be attributed to discipline (which is due to bad coaching). Not saying that Leavitt needs to go (yet), but definitely Rod Smith and some others. Here is why USF is a poorly coached team:

1. As ESPN pointed out last night, USF is almost dead last in the nation in penalties. Most of the penalties we get are personal fouls or stupid mistakes. Again, it comes down to discipline, which is due to poor coaching.

2. We received a punt at the 2 yard line!??? Really? I have never played a down in a college football game and I even know that anything past the 10 yard line, you let go. (See note on discipline above).

3. Great play calling....A Fake punt on your own 30 yard line, down 9 points with 14:00 to go? AND it is 4th and 9???? Possibly the worst call in the history of football. Nothing good could have happened on that call.

4. Predictable (and poor) play calling every game. Either sitting in the stands at RJS or watching on TV like last night, myself and everyone around me seem to be able to predict what play is going to be run next. Rod Smith is trying to get Grothe killed. How many times are we going to run the QB during a designed play? That might work against FIU or McNeese St, but wait until WVU, PITT and Louisville and we won't have Grothe for 4 full years. Also, why is it that EVERY TIME on third down and 7 or 8 (or more), the play that is always called is a short pass up the middle or to the flat for 5 yards? Even John Madden knows that you have to catch the ball at or past the first down marker.

5. Not using the best players: Ricky Ponton served his suspension, so why is Leavitt trying to continue to prove a point by a) not starting him and B) not playing him?? He had a great opening drive once he got in on the second play....where was he the rest of the game? 9 rushes for 38 yards? Most of those yards were on the first drive.

The bottom line is that Rod Smith has got to go NOW and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Leavitt to go as well. Yes, he has been a great coach to start this program and there is no disputing that what he has done with this program in the short years it has been around is nothing short of amazing, but it might be time to get someone new in here. It might be a situation like the Bucs had with Dungy....GREAT guy, great coach, who laid a solid foundation, but just time for someone else to come in and take the team to the next level.

Pretty embarrassing showing in front of the 2,000 fans in attendance last night and the millions (after the third quarter, 10) fans that were watching around the nation on ESPN.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Another genius with all the answers.  I think Brad sends out a beckon that attracts them to this board.

Not just saying this after last night's debacle,

Well, actually, you are!

Very observant....yes I was. If you want to be specific, yes, I was posting those thoughts after the game Sunday, but what I meant was...it was not just because of Sunday night's game I was saying those things.....they are things that have been going on all season and last season as well.

Not just saying this after last night's debacle, but the Cincy game just continued to show what is painfully obvious. A lot of these losses (and near losses to crappy teams) can be attributed to discipline (which is due to bad coaching). Not saying that Leavitt needs to go (yet), but definitely Rod Smith and some others. Here is why USF is a poorly coached team:

1. As ESPN pointed out last night, USF is almost dead last in the nation in penalties. Most of the penalties we get are personal fouls or stupid mistakes. Again, it comes down to discipline, which is due to poor coaching.

2. We received a punt at the 2 yard line!??? Really? I have never played a down in a college football game and I even know that anything past the 10 yard line, you let go. (See note on discipline above).

3. Great play calling....A Fake punt on your own 30 yard line, down 9 points with 14:00 to go? AND it is 4th and 9???? Possibly the worst call in the history of football. Nothing good could have happened on that call.

4. Predictable (and poor) play calling every game. Either sitting in the stands at RJS or watching on TV like last night, myself and everyone around me seem to be able to predict what play is going to be run next. Rod Smith is trying to get Grothe killed. How many times are we going to run the QB during a designed play? That might work against FIU or McNeese St, but wait until WVU, PITT and Louisville and we won't have Grothe for 4 full years. Also, why is it that EVERY TIME on third down and 7 or 8 (or more), the play that is always called is a short pass up the middle or to the flat for 5 yards? Even John Madden knows that you have to catch the ball at or past the first down marker.

5. Not using the best players: Ricky Ponton served his suspension, so why is Leavitt trying to continue to prove a point by a) not starting him and B) not playing him?? He had a great opening drive once he got in on the second play....where was he the rest of the game? 9 rushes for 38 yards? Most of those yards were on the first drive.

The bottom line is that Rod Smith has got to go NOW and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Leavitt to go as well. Yes, he has been a great coach to start this program and there is no disputing that what he has done with this program in the short years it has been around is nothing short of amazing, but it might be time to get someone new in here. It might be a situation like the Bucs had with Dungy....GREAT guy, great coach, who laid a solid foundation, but just time for someone else to come in and take the team to the next level.

Pretty embarrassing showing in front of the 2,000 fans in attendance last night and the millions (after the third quarter, 10) fans that were watching around the nation on ESPN.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Another genius with all the answers.  I think Brad sends out a beckon that attracts them to this board.

Nice contribution S Bien. Never once did that post say any of those points I posted was "the answer". It was just observations, that obviously, a lot of other people have noticed as well. For the most part, except for your articulate comment above, that is what most message boards are for. Keep up the intriguing posts though....maybe next time you can mix in a LOL or TTYL.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

1. As ESPN pointed out last night, USF is almost dead last in the nation in penalties. Most of the penalties we get are personal fouls or stupid mistakes. Again, it comes down to discipline, which is due to poor coaching

If you believe this BullsBucs, do you also feel that Rutgars is a poorly coached team ?  They are leading everyone in penalties ?

Yes daBull, I do believe this...BUT, if you would have continued reading the entire post, instead of trying to impress everyone with the fact that you can look up stats, you would have probably understood my point. Since you didn't, my point is.....It is not just one of those five points that I highlighted, but all of them together that make USF a poorly coached team. So, do some research and let us all know if Florida or WVU or Rutgars (as you call them), or any other decent team:

2. Does not utilize their best running back, but instead, they run their QB until he gets injured.

3. Calls a fake punt down only 9 points with a whole quarter to play in their own territory.

you could have listed about 5 other examples to make your point

Maybe he should have listed 5 other examples because the three noted above are reaches.

I'm sure no other coach worth his salt has ever had one of his players field the ball at the two to desperately try to get something, ANYTHING going for the team.

Another huge reach. Grothe ran the ball a total of 7 times on Sunday. Just twice in the second half INCLUDING the play he got hurt on. I assume if he had just run once and got hurt on that play, you would have probably still made the absurd comment that "they run their QB until he gets injured". Matt is not just a pocket passer. His running ability is one of his key assets. To NOT utilize him in that manner would be an example of poor coaching.

The offense hadn't done jackcrap the whole game. That play, if executed correctly, and it WAS there, may have been the spark the team needed to get something going. CJL saw that. Anybody watching that game saw that SOMETHING was needed.

Out of all that drivel on your first post, the only one with validity was the questioning of not playing Ponton more ..... now if you could only come up with 4 more to help your case of a "poorly coached team".

Guest Rueben_Horowitz

you could have listed about 5 other examples to make your point

Maybe he should have listed 5 other examples because the three noted above are reaches.

I'm sure no other coach worth his salt has ever had one of his players field the ball at the two to desperately try to get something, ANYTHING going for the team.

Another huge reach. Grothe ran the ball a total of 7 times on Sunday. Just twice in the second half INCLUDING the play he got hurt on. I assume if he had just run once and got hurt on that play, you would have probably still made the absurd comment that "they run their QB until he gets injured". Matt is not just a pocket passer. His running ability is one of his key assets. To NOT utilize him in that manner would be an example of poor coaching.

The offense hadn't done jackcrap the whole game. That play, if executed correctly, and it WAS there, may have been the spark the team needed to get something going. CJL saw that. Anybody watching that game saw that SOMETHING was needed.

Out of all that drivel on your first post, the only one with validity was the questioning of not playing Ponton more ..... now if you could only come up with 4 more to help your case of a "poorly coached team".

There goes Trip with his stats...Good stats, but come on, BB79 has some good points. Discipline is a HUGE problem; to deny it is insanity.

Obviously coaching is a large contributor to discipline, but to think it can prevent all lapses in judgement is a big stretch too. We are a young team, which is a big factor, imo.  

CJL is the man, you can't get down on him at this point. He stays imo.

Rueb

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

There goes Trip with his stats...Good stats, but come on, BB79 has some good points. Discipline is a HUGE problem; to deny it is insanity.

He had a good POINT about Ponton not being used enough ..... What are you basing the discipline being a "HUGE problem" on?