• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Athletic Director Announcement

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

I think he's a pretty good fit.  

If Omni is Optimistic (sp?),  ;) I feel good also  ;D

Welcome Aboard !

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD HIRE AN AD FROM A SCHOOL WITH NO FOOTBALL PROGRAM AND IS IN A CONFRENCE BELOW WHAT AE ARE TRING TO MOVE TO.  THE ADMINSTRATION WILL NOW RUIN WHAT WE HAVE SPENT 8 YEARS BUILDING.  TO ALL THE FANS THAT THINK THIS MOVE IS NOT A BIG DEAL, I'LL TALK TO YOU IN A YEAR AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK.  WE BETTER HAVE STRONG COACHES BECAUSE IF WE DON'T WE ARE GOING TO BE THE NEXT RUTGERS OF THE BIG EAST.  THIS DECISION HAS BROKEN MY HEART.  

::)

I agree with The Sheriff and Omni regarding these kind of posts regarding football.

Nothing will bring USF Football down, except non-BULLieving fan statements like this.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

It's not a matter of non bullieving, E.T., it is skepticism. I just feel that we should have gotten an AD who has big time expirience in a big time market. St. Louis is NOT a big time market. We are stepping up. To me,(jmo), we should have looked a little deeper. Again, I bleed green and gold, and will support this AD. But only time will tell about his moxie.   Reaper

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

Memo # 2: In case you have not figured it out, Jim Leavitt runs the football program. Do you really think Leavitt needs any help in growing the program? The new AD needs to be involved in providing resources and ensuring the academic integrity of the athletic programs. We don't anyone to micromanage our coaches.  That is unless you want Leavitt to really consider going elsewhere in three years.

Not to be confessing negativity or that this may happen but an AD w/o football managing experience would be a little more likely to rock the boat and micromanage something that he wants to have his stamp of greatness on.  Erasing LRS's name off the side of the football bandwagon and putting his own up in order to become a nationally prominent BCS FB team could create tension with Leavitt.  But then again, this could happen w/a brand spankin' new AD so maybe the conspirests(sp?) should give it a rest.

Cyber is right.  Number one  priority of the new AD is to get basketball back on track to where it was in '89-'93 and '00-'03.  This probably requires SunDome upgrades in seats and especially a center scoreboard or side boards w/video.  Secondly, is to increase season tix for FB & basketball by 10-20%.  Thirdly would be to find funding to redo the baseball stadium bleachers.   Fourthly would be to get the Football teams next three yrs worth of schedules on "sound" foundations.  IMO anyway.

Guest USF_ATO
WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD HIRE AN AD FROM A SCHOOL WITH NO FOOTBALL PROGRAM AND IS IN A CONFRENCE BELOW WHAT AE ARE TRING TO MOVE TO.  THE ADMINSTRATION WILL NOW RUIN WHAT WE HAVE SPENT 8 YEARS BUILDING.  TO ALL THE FANS THAT THINK THIS MOVE IS NOT A BIG DEAL, I'LL TALK TO YOU IN A YEAR AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK.  WE BETTER HAVE STRONG COACHES BECAUSE IF WE DON'T WE ARE GOING TO BE THE NEXT RUTGERS OF THE BIG EAST.  THIS DECISION HAS BROKEN MY HEART.  

Didn't Maryland hire the previous AD from St Louis? I think her name is Yow? She seems to be doing well for not coming from a football school!!

Go BULLS!!

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

When ever you see a retired athlete from USF you should apologize for the university for holding his alma mater back from growing and being competative with schools like FSU, UF, UM, OU, USC, LSU, UGA, and the rest of the top 25 teams in the nation .

monkeys of the world unite

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Omni is right.  Number one  priority of the new AD is to get basketball back on track to where it was in '89-'93 and '00-'03.  This probably requires SunDome upgrades in seats and especially a center scoreboard or side boards w/video.  Secondly, is to increase season tix for FB & basketball by 10-20%.  Thirdly would be to find funding to redo the baseball stadium bleachers.   Fourthly would be to get the Football teams next three yrs worth of schedules on "sound" foundations.  IMO anyway.

the priority list is probably why there is so much disagreement. I disagree with basketball being the number one priortity, I think getting ray jay filled, continuing to work towards being a national power in football and solidifying the BEs place as a legitimate BCS league is priority number one. I believe all successes will branch off of this. I also think the idea of Leavitt being the AD on the football side isn't that great of an idea. He is a great coach and should have a decent amount of input but completely in control of the AD position? I'd much rather he focus on the product going on the field and have an AD that can work well WITH him yet be the one to handle the off the field football operations.  Other then one coach that could arguably be considered the best of all time, just look at how miserably teams have failed when allowing coaches to be both coach and general manager. It can work but the cards aren't stacked in your favor with this type of setup.

• Topic Count:  375
  • Content Count:  3,144

Official USF Release:

USF President Judy Genshaft names Doug Woolard Director of Athletics

Doug Woolard Bio

Audio archive of announcement

TAMPA, Fla. (May 12, 2004) – USF President Judy Genshaft today tapped Doug Woolard to be the leader and role model to take University of South Florida athletics into the Big East. Woolard comes to USF from Saint Louis University, where he served as athletic director since 1994.

“He is the right person at the right time for USF,†Genshaft said. “He has vision and leadership and he has proven experience as an athletic director.â€Â

Woolard, who will take the helm June 14, assumes leadership at a pivotal time in USF’s athletic history. With a successful launch of football in 1997, USF will join the Big East Conference in 2005.

“I want to create an environment for a strong partnership with our student-athletes,†Woolard said. “Together, along with coaches and staff, we want to make USF the best athletic department in the Big East.â€Â

The 54-year-old guided the Saint Louis University Department of Athletics through a historic period that included the school’s inclusion as a founding member of Conference USA, and more recently its acceptance into the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Woolard’s leadership has resulted in the highest academic achievement in Conference USA. Saint Louis student-athletes achieved 69 percent graduation rate in 2002-03, the best in the conference, with USF in second place. The university also won the league’s institutional academic excellence award for the eighth straight season, representing every season in C-USA

history.

“Doug Woolard has proven himself with successes at Saint Louis and Washington State,†Lee Roy Selmon said. “He is an excellent fit for USF. I have enjoyed a good relationship with him in Conference USA. He is an outstanding person, and he will lead with great integrity and character. I look forward to teaming up with him to build a top-caliber, national championship program.â€Â

The Saint Louis men’s basketball team has consistently ranked among the top 30 in the nation in annual attendance during Woolard’s tenure as athletic director. Three times, the program was among the nation’s top 10, peaking with an average attendance of 17,708. Further, the men’s soccer program at Saint Louis is consistently in the nation’s top 10 in attendance by averaging more than 2,800 fans a game.

Woolard has remained committed to bringing all Billikens athletic events back on campus. In addition to constructing a new soccer stadium, Saint Louis has added a new softball facility and nine new tennis courts on campus. Planning and fundraising are now under way to construct a $70 million on-campus multi-purpose facility where Saint Louis can play its men’s and women’s basketball games.

“Woolard shares President Genshaft’s commitment to cultivating positive community partnerships,†search committee chairman Hinks Shimberg said. “This history of collaboration with business and community leaders is just the right kind of vision and approach that will position USF well in this region.â€Â

To achieve the many successes at Saint Louis over the past decade, Woolard has kept a keen eye on the financial foundation of the program. He added the first-ever in-house development director to the program to maximize the revenue streams for an NCAA Division I program. He also negotiated the Billiken’s first department-wide shoe and apparel contract with Nike and he renegotiated a radio and television syndication package that enhanced the school’s revenue base.

Woolard has served on several prominent national committees. He is a past chair of the Conference USA directors of athletics committee and he also served as the league’s representative on the NCAA Academic/Eligibility/Compliance (AEC) Cabinet, where he chaired the amateurism and agents subcommittee. Woolard has also served as C-USA’s alternate to the NCAA Management Council, the most powerful committee in the NCAA governance structure.

Prior to joining Saint Louis, Woolard worked for the nationally respected Jim Livengood at Washington State University. Under Livengood, who is now the Director of Athletics at Arizona and a past chair of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Committee,

Woolard was the associate director for external operations from 1989-94 after one year (1988-89) as an assistant director of athletics.

Woolard and his wife, Cherrie, have two children, Chris and Amy.

Doug Woolard Bio

Doug Woolard assumes command of the University of South Florida Department of Athletics at a moment in time that is pivotal in the school’s athletic history. With a successful launch of football already in place, USF will emerge as a player in the BIG EAST Conference in 2005. Woolard’s leadership role is one he is fit to assume and one in which he has experience.

In October 1994, Woolard assumed leadership of the Saint Louis University Department of Athletics as its Director and guided the program through a historic period that included the school’s inclusion as a founding member of Conference USA, and more recently its acceptance of membership in the Atlantic 10 Conference.

While overseeing a department that was progressive in its competitive success, Woolard also proved to be a large asset in a community, that like Tampa Bay, presents the challenge of finding a niche with professional football, baseball and hockey in the market.

The Saint Louis men’s basketball team has consistently ranked among the top 30 in the nation in annual attendance during Woolard’s decade at the helm. Three times, the program was among the nation’s top 10, peaking with an average attendance of 17,708. Further, the men’s soccer program at Saint Louis is consistently in the nation’s top 10 in attendance by averaging over 2,800 fans a game in a stadium that was constructed for the men and women’s teams under Woolard’s watch.

Further enhancing the community partnership, Woolard has remained committed to bringing all Billiken athletic events back on campus. In addition to constructing a new soccer stadium, Saint Louis has added a new softball facility and nine new tennis courts on campus. Planning and fundraising are now underway to construct a $70 million on-campus multi-purpose facility where Saint Louis can play its men and women’s basketball games

Woolard’s leadership has extended beyond competitive success and a strong community setting into an ultra-successful academic environment. Saint Louis student-athletes have not only been the frontrunner among their Conference USA peers, but they have developed an outstanding reputation nationally for their achievement.

Saint Louis student-athletes achieved a 69% graduation rate in 2002-03, the highest in Conference USA, and the University won the league’s institutional academic excellence award for the eighth straight season, representing every season in C-USA history.

To achieve the many successes at Saint Louis over the past decade, Woolard has kept a keen eye on the financial foundation of the program. He added the first-ever in-house development director to the program to maximize the revenue streams for an NCAA Division I program. He also negotiated the Billikens’ first department-wide shoe and apparel contract with Nike and he renegotiated a radio and television syndication package that enhanced the school’s revenue base. The television package included locally televised games for men’s and women’s soccer and volleyball.

While maintaining an outstanding department at Saint Louis, Woolard has also become a prominent figure on national committees. He is a past chair of the Conference USA directors of athletics committee and he also served as the league’s representative on the NCAA Academic/Eligibility/Compliance (AEC) Cabinet, where he chaired the amateurism and agents subcommittee. Woolard has also served as C-USA’s alternate to the NCAA Management Council, the most powerful committee in the NCAA governance structure.

Prior to joining Saint Louis, Woolard worked for the nationally respected Jim Livengood at Washington State University. Under Livengood, who is now the Director of Athletics at Arizona and a past chair of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Committee, Woolard was the associate director for external operations from 1989-94 after one year (1988-89) as an assistant director of athletics.

While at Washington State, Woolard was a key member of the senior management staff that oversaw a successful football program, and he played a prominent role in the entire department’s relationship with the community.

Audio archive of announcement:

http://broadcastmonsters.com/Southflorida/Coach/usf051204.asx

Audio isn't archived yet, but that link should have it later in the day

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

I have no idea whether or not leavitt handling the AD operations for football are true or not (I highly doubt it) I was basically responding to those that are saying the lack of experience woolard has in working in football operations is not important since leavitt will basically be handling all those duties and woolard would be focusing mainly on the other sports.

Memo # 2: In case you have not figured it out, Jim Leavitt runs the football program. Do you really think Leavitt needs any help in growing the program? The new AD needs to be involved in providing resources and ensuring the academic integrity of the athletic programs. We don't anyone to micromanage our coaches.  That is unless you want Leavitt to really consider going elsewhere in three years.

I have seen numerous other threads implying the same thing that football is ok since leavitt will be in charge and I think that is a wishy washy way to patch woolards lack of experience in this area. I also believe that YES leavitt needs help and has had help all along in growing this program. He has put a great product on the field by his incredible talent as both a coach and a recruiter but the growth of the entire program has been a cooperative effort between leavitt, selmon and genshaft (and i'm sure many many others along the way) This AD will and should be running this program and I have concerns over his lack of experience in this area. Please don't take this as my preaching the "end of the program" or "he is destined to fail" but take as nothing more/nothing less then I said...a concern.

As bien and others have pointed out in this process there are quite a few reasons to believe woolard will do a great job and has the tools necessary to get us where we need to be, but it can't be ignored that there is a fairly gaping hole in his experience in a critical area.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Official USF Release:

USF President Judy Genshaft names Doug Woolard Director of Athletics

TAMPA, Fla. (May 12, 2004) – USF President Judy Genshaft today tapped Doug Woolard to be the leader and role model to take University of South Florida athletics into the Big East. Woolard comes to USF from Saint Louis University, where he served as athletic director since 1994.

“He is the right person at the right time for USF,†Genshaft said. “He has vision and leadership and he has proven experience as an athletic director.â€Â

Woolard, who will take the helm June 14, assumes leadership at a pivotal time in USF’s athletic history. With a successful launch of football in 1997, USF will join the Big East Conference in 2005.

“I want to create an environment for a strong partnership with our student-athletes,†Woolard said. “Together, along with coaches and staff, we want to make USF the best athletic department in the Big East.â€Â

The 54-year-old guided the Saint Louis University Department of Athletics through a historic period that included the school’s inclusion as a founding member of Conference USA, and more recently its acceptance into the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Woolard’s leadership has resulted in the highest academic achievement in Conference USA. Saint Louis student-athletes achieved 69 percent graduation rate in 2002-03, the best in the conference, with USF in second place. The university also won the league’s institutional academic excellence award for the eighth straight season, representing every season in C-USA

history.

“Doug Woolard has proven himself with successes at Saint Louis and Washington State,†Lee Roy Selmon said. “He is an excellent fit for USF. I have enjoyed a good relationship with him in Conference USA. He is an outstanding person, and he will lead with great integrity and character. I look forward to teaming up with him to build a top-caliber, national championship program.â€Â

The Saint Louis men’s basketball team has consistently ranked among the top 30 in the nation in annual attendance during Woolard’s tenure as athletic director. Three times, the program was among the nation’s top 10, peaking with an average attendance of 17,708. Further, the men’s soccer program at Saint Louis is consistently in the nation’s top 10 in attendance by averaging more than 2,800 fans a game.

Woolard has remained committed to bringing all Billikens athletic events back on campus. In addition to constructing a new soccer stadium, Saint Louis has added a new softball facility and nine new tennis courts on campus. Planning and fundraising are now under way to construct a $70 million on-campus multi-purpose facility where Saint Louis can play its men’s and women’s basketball games.

“Woolard shares President Genshaft’s commitment to cultivating positive community partnerships,†search committee chairman Hinks Shimberg said. “This history of collaboration with business and community leaders is just the right kind of vision and approach that will position USF well in this region.â€Â

To achieve the many successes at Saint Louis over the past decade, Woolard has kept a keen eye on the financial foundation of the program. He added the first-ever in-house development director to the program to maximize the revenue streams for an NCAA Division I program. He also negotiated the Billiken’s first department-wide shoe and apparel contract with Nike and he renegotiated a radio and television syndication package that enhanced the school’s revenue base.

Woolard has served on several prominent national committees. He is a past chair of the Conference USA directors of athletics committee and he also served as the league’s representative on the NCAA Academic/Eligibility/Compliance (AEC) Cabinet, where he chaired the amateurism and agents subcommittee. Woolard has also served as C-USA’s alternate to the NCAA Management Council, the most powerful committee in the NCAA governance structure.

Prior to joining Saint Louis, Woolard worked for the nationally respected Jim Livengood at Washington State University. Under Livengood, who is now the Director of Athletics at Arizona and a past chair of the NCAA Men’s Basketball Committee,

Woolard was the associate director for external operations from 1989-94 after one year (1988-89) as an assistant director of athletics.

There seems to be a lot of upside to this guy.  If you can get past St. Louis not having a football team.