• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brawl could put UM in world of hurt with recruits

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  723
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

you know that butch davis is writing his own check for the HC position at miami next year

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The fights are ridiculous but they are not always started by Miami and in the heat of the game tempers flare and things get ot of control. NOT AN EXCUSE but I saw many people justifying smoking pot on this board not too long ago. I see FSU and UF taking the same cheap shots, late hits, jumping around etc as Miami but Miami will always have the target on their back because they came so far so fast to win 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS. If I had the choice to mirrora football program in the state of FL, it would be MIAMI not FSU of UF.

I think the the fact that Miami has been involved in THREE brawls (LSU, Louisville, FIU) in the span of one year speaks volumes. Every team gives and receives cheap shots, it's part of football. It's controlling your temper that is key.

Miami has a target on their back because they have always portrayed the image of a thug culture. Everything from the fatigues in 1986, the multitude of arrests in the late 80s, and the NCAA violations in 1991, etc, have done nothing but further this image in most people's minds. They're the bad guys of college football, and while the titles play a part, I don't think too many of these kids are concerned with that considering most of these titles were won before they were playing football.

I hope to heck USF is not a program like Miami, while no top program will ever be totally clean, I'll take FSU and UF's program model over Miami's anyday (and yes, I agree Miami's cleaned the program up somewhat).

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Once a new coach comes in claiming to be the new sheriff whose gunna clean up the program and its image all will be forgotten.  Most recruits want to get to the NFL and the U is one of the best ways to get there as the drafts over the years have shown.  

• Topic Count:  134
  • Content Count:  1,158

It's been interesting reading remarks from all of you on this subject.  Now I won't say I am completely unbiased here as I do follow UM as my wife was a cheerleader there (just love to remind all of you of that  ;D), but I have a hard time condemning the current program because of the antics of those teams in the 80's and 90's.  And my wife, who paid the price for the Jimmy Johnson/Dennis Erickson years as she had to cheer during the probation years feels the same way.

When Butch Davis came in and to some extent Donna, the program really turned around.  They cleaned up their image and won, a lot.  Now Miami has always had this extreme confidence (some will call it arrogance) about there University which is something you hope all of your student athletes feel about their university.  They take great pride in their Univeristy's successes in athletics, something we would love to have at USF I'm sure.  The former players come back and help the current student athletes during the offseason.  Something I've seen many of you rave about the likes of Kawika and others starting to do now for USF.

Anyway with out making this too long, I can't argue with UM's suspensions (other than maybe merriweather only getting the one game).  As someone pointed out, if you just kick them off the team they'll have nowhere to go and potentially cause problems in the street.  Our jobs here are to win games, but also to educate and develop young men and women into good citizens.

Read Chris Fowlers points (it's an insider only article).  I agree with just about everything he says.  My two cents.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/insider/columns/story?columnist=fowler_chris&id=2632024&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos3

Eric

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i think miami will be fine

when there new coach comes in program will be energized

there are enough top recruits for usf and big 3

the trick is to get them

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Anyway with out making this too long, I can't argue with UM's suspensions (other than maybe merriweather only getting the one game).  As someone pointed out, if you just kick them off the team they'll have nowhere to go and potentially cause problems in the street.  Our jobs here are to win games, but also to educate and develop young men and women into good citizens.

Eric

Boo hoo!!!

As other articles have noted...for many of these Miami players...this was not their first step into "trouble".

Many have already burned their strike one...others have burned strikes 2 and 3...but you would rather KEEP these kids on $35,000 plus scholarships a year so they won't be thrown out on the streets?

So now Football Teams are just expensive baby sitters?

Sorry...first attending either a public or private university is a privilege, not a RIGHT.

2nd...playing football at either a public or private university is a privilege, not a RIGHT.

3rd..receiving an all-expense paid Football Scholarship at either a public or private university is a privilege, not a RIGHT.

But...you would rather keep kids on the team that are not deserving of any of those 3 choices above....vs going out and finding good kids who would be THRILLED with the chance to take their place.

Out on the streets? NO!!!!!!!!!!!! That's cruel and unusual punishment!!!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Eric

Boo hoo!!!

As other articles have noted...for many of these Miami players...this was not their first step into "trouble".

Many have already burned their strike one...others have burned strikes 2 and 3...but you would rather KEEP these kids on $35,000 plus scholarships a year so they won't be thrown out on the streets?

So now Football Teams are just expensive baby sitters?

Sorry...first attending either a public or private university is a privilege, not a RIGHT.

2nd...playing football at either a public or private university is a privilege, not a RIGHT.

3rd..receiving an all-expense paid Football Scholarship at either a public or private university is a privilege, not a RIGHT.

But...you would rather keep kids on the team that are not deserving of any of those 3 choices above....vs going out and finding good kids who would be THRILLED with the chance to take their place.

Out on the streets? NO!!!!!!!!!!!! That's cruel and unusual punishment!!!

GOL does, Brandon Marshall two arrests, Ron Ellis too.  Let's not forget Travonti Johnson.  I suppose if you're taking such a critical position then you also believe you're University, along with the rest of us, should be harsher on the punishment and condemning these players.