• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Miami-FIU Punishment is BS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Team unity... That fight will help Miami gain their swagger back. If that team was breaking down during the season, the fight will lift them back to prominence and bring them together. I would have said the same things Lamar Thomas said... but I'm a little more mean spirited when it comes to USF. I love the Green and Gold. The fight was pretty fun to watch to say the least. I still think the best part of the fight was the body slam towards the end and the renegade Miami fans cheering their players on after they threw up the "U" sign to the crowd. That is support... Miami's image cannot be reversed over night... I don't care who you fire. You would have to stop playing football for their image to die.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  131
  • Days Won:  0

Actually I think that shutting down the football program for the remainder of the season is exactly what is needed to send the message this is not accepted.  But you are dealing with $$$ and a former Clinton cabinet member as president of the "U of Miami" so don't hold yer breath for any accountability for bad behavior.

And yes, I do walk around carrying a gun every morning at 0630...    ;D ;D

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

Seems that FIU has stepped up and got rid of some players and many will probably be gone for the remainder of the season.

Miami has only done something serious to one player ...

1228Intake_court_waiting.jpg

Miami's Beach

1228Intake_court_waiting.jpg

Miami's Bench

[smiley=loser.gif]

I obviousy was thinking of something more pleasant  8-)

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

FIU started the fight. If this happened against us we may be in the same situation as may any other team in the country.

Randy, they were killing an 0-7 team. Yes FIU gave Peattie and the holder a cheap shot and I wouldn't have a problem with a limited exchange but stomping adn hitting people with your helmet?

Thats just a wee bit extreme in my book.

Joe...you did know that the score was only 7-0 Miami in the 3rd Q...and the fight started because Miami was called for TAUNTING after a TD that made the score 13-0 in the 3rd.

FIU retaliated on the extra pt (made it 14-0), and then the brawl was ON!

Miami was FAR from KILLING that winless FIU team at the time of the fight during the 3rd Q.

KL

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I saw an angle during lunch that I hadn't seen before.   In the new (to me) angle, the player that swung at Peattie did so after Peattie had his arms wrapped around the player for several seconds and wouldn't let him go.  I wonder if Peattie was trying to hold the player back, or trying to start something.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,433

Do you think that this incident will affect either team's recruiting....Son, we don't conduct ourselves like animals...you're not going to the "U"?  I would sure keep those schools off of my kids' short list after that!  Two schools in Miami....the worst incident on the field I can EVER recall....not much to think about i/m/o.  Then....the Orange Bowl!  Now, uncertainty with the coach, etc....not good.

• Topic Count:  82
  • Content Count:  1,254

It really annoys me that everyone is bashing Miami for this. Being a Miami fan my whole life I have a little bias, but from the outside it is thefault of both teams. The way they are portraying it in the media is just ridiculous. When the same thing happened in the Clemson-South Carolina game you didn't hear anyone talking about "thug this, thug that". When bench clearing fights happen in baseball no big deal is ever made of it. I think everyone should just get over it, and accept the punishment that was given to them. This is no grounds for shutting down a football team. If we did the same thing you wouldn't see everyone on here saying "let's end USF football now." "Grothe was in that fight, he should be kicked off the team." It just wouldn't happen.

It appears to me most of this stems for living here in gay-tor country. Most of the people here grew up UF fans (FSU fans) and hold a lot of animosity towards a rival. You can't just cut off a program that has had such an impact in college football. 5 National Championships.

I think FIU punished their players more than UM did.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

A few things to consider, ksquire.  

First, as ET points out, FIU punished their kids more immediately and severly.  

Second, this Miami's third incident in the last seven games.  (Even forgetting the more distant past)

Finally, Miami is a big name program.  If it were FSU, Florida or USC, the reaction would be just as big.  You don't mind getting more attention than FIU when things are going well, do you?  You can't have it both ways.

One other thing that bothered me more than the fight was the big post-fight celebration by the Hurricane players.  Getting in a huddle and jumping up and down proudly was worse than the heat of the moment brawl.  If I were Coker, I would have been sending happy players to the locker room one by one until they realized they shouldn't be celebrating a brawl.