• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Dont BOOO Pat

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

I agree, don't boo Pat.  He's shown a tremendous amount of leadership this year alone by sitting on the bench.  When Grothe's health was in question, he was the best QB to lead us to victory and some fans Boo him?  That doesn't make sense.  Anyone that knows anything about college football is you need two QBs in case of an injury.  Booing doesn't help, especially considering that no one is behind Pat with any kind of experience.

Now can we remove this thread for good?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  286
  • Days Won:  0

This is the first time I read this lengthy post (I actually stopped reading at the point smazza got involved - post 55 or so), and only skimmed the rest.

My observations:

1)  Those that believe they have a "right" to boo USF players and probably did so themselves does not surprise me.  Many show a similar lack of courtesy when interacting anonymously with others here.  I also wonder what else is on this Fan "Bill of Rights" and what one has to do be considered a fan to enjoy such rights, but I'm guessing these so called rights are just made up and no one here really earned the right to boo.   ::)

2)  Those that truly think Gregory or Severino would be a better second stringer than Pat must not follow the program at all.  Gregory, of course, was converted to defense prior to the C. Hill transfer.  Severino is on the roster and is not and never has been considered a viable option at QB.  Neither are in the long term plans at QB (never have been) and neither would provide any greater leadership or ability than Julmiste - nor do they have anywhere near the experience.  Should they enter the game would I boo?  Of course not - even though I know for a fact they are less qualified for the role than MG or PJ.

3)  Those that think those of us that do not believe in booing players somehow imply that not booing is a positive reflection on the player's skill is just way off the mark.   Just because I would never boo a player or coach, doesn't mean I think they are without fault or weakness, it just means that I know booing is not constructive and downright rude.  When fans boo USF players and coaches it hurts me.  I am ashamed of it and I know those booing have somehow separated themsleves from USF  if ever there was an attachment.  

This can be debated endlessly.  But many others have already noted that this is not a pro team.  These are student-athletes that put more time and energy into making us proud than any fan does.  Their shortcomings are not from a lack of trying.  They are representatives of USF.  At least with PJ his conduct and hard work better represents the image I would USF to have than the conduct of Mcfans that chose to boo him.  Embarassing.

Nicely argued Bulliever, but I respectfully disagree with you.  I think some who booed were aiming those boos at CJL and his staff for putting us in the position too rely on a guy who has proven he can't cut it as a DI football qb.  Also, I think it a bit presumptuous of you too suggest that those who boo are somehow disconnected or seperated from USF.  I don't think for a second you can accurately predict such a thing based on a boo.  

Futhermore, I regard the boo as a form of protest.  For example, some decent Americans think it o.k. to burn the U.S flag as a statment of protest;  I would never do such a thing, but the act of burning the flag doesn't in and of itself qualify me to pass such a judgment on them as too say they are anti-American or communist.  Some great Americans disagree with the war in Iraq and I don't believe they are any less patriotic than those who agree.   Sound a bit extreme? I don't think so.  We, those who are not so anti-boo are protesting.  We not only hope for greatness from USF, we demand it!

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

This is the first time I read this lengthy post (I actually stopped reading at the point smazza got involved - post 55 or so), and only skimmed the rest.

My observations:

1)  Those that believe they have a "right" to boo USF players and probably did so themselves does not surprise me.  Many show a similar lack of courtesy when interacting anonymously with others here.  I also wonder what else is on this Fan "Bill of Rights" and what one has to do be considered a fan to enjoy such rights, but I'm guessing these so called rights are just made up and no one here really earned the right to boo.   ::)

2)  Those that truly think Gregory or Severino would be a better second stringer than Pat must not follow the program at all.  Gregory, of course, was converted to defense prior to the C. Hill transfer.  Severino is on the roster and is not and never has been considered a viable option at QB.  Neither are in the long term plans at QB (never have been) and neither would provide any greater leadership or ability than Julmiste - nor do they have anywhere near the experience.  Should they enter the game would I boo?  Of course not - even though I know for a fact they are less qualified for the role than MG or PJ.

3)  Those that think those of us that do not believe in booing players somehow imply that not booing is a positive reflection on the player's skill is just way off the mark.   Just because I would never boo a player or coach, doesn't mean I think they are without fault or weakness, it just means that I know booing is not constructive and downright rude.  When fans boo USF players and coaches it hurts me.  I am ashamed of it and I know those booing have somehow separated themsleves from USF  if ever there was an attachment.  

This can be debated endlessly.  But many others have already noted that this is not a pro team.  These are student-athletes that put more time and energy into making us proud than any fan does.  Their shortcomings are not from a lack of trying.  They are representatives of USF.  At least with PJ his conduct and hard work better represents the image I would USF to have than the conduct of Mcfans that chose to boo him.  Embarassing.

Nicely argued Bulliever, but I respectfully disagree with you.  I think some who booed were aiming those boos at CJL and his staff for putting us in the position too rely on a guy who has proven he can't cut it as a DI football qb.  Also, I think it a bit presumptuous of you too suggest that those who boo are somehow disconnected or seperated from USF.  I don't think for a second you can accurately predict such a thing based on a boo.  

Futhermore, I regard the boo as a form of protest.  For example, some decent Americans think it o.k. to burn the U.S flag as a statment of protest;  I would never do such a thing, but the act of burning the flag doesn't in and of itself qualify me to pass such a judgment on them as too say they are anti-American or communist.  Some great Americans disagree with the war in Iraq and I don't believe they are any less patriotic than those who agree.   Sound a bit extreme? I don't think so.  We, those who are not so anti-boo are protesting.  We not only hope for greatness from USF, we demand it!

I think it's presumptuous of you to suggest that the, "boos" were directed at CJL.  There is no way to discern between the boos at CJL and the ones at PJ since they all sound the same.  On top of all of that, what would some of the booers want CJL to do?  MG was hurt, and the only QB we have with any real game experience was PJ.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I think some who booed were aiming those boos at CJL and his staff for putting us in the position too rely on a guy who has proven he can't cut it as a DI football qb.

I don't see how he puts us in that position because of an injury.  The majority of DI-A teams if not all, have a step down in quality going to a backup QB.  If you are suggesting Severino, Gregory or Denson should be higher on the depth chart, then I don't know what to say.  P.J., like it or not, probably has more experience and less downside than many other teams' backup QB.

Also, I think it a bit presumptuous of you too suggest that those who boo are somehow disconnected or seperated from USF.  I don't think for a second you can accurately predict such a thing based on a boo.  

Well I say that because I too boo - but it has always been the opposition, the officials, etc.  Never a player from our school.  Booing someone that is out there leaving it on the field for us is totally different.

Futhermore, I regard the boo as a form of protest.  ... We, those who are not so anti-boo are protesting.  We not only hope for greatness from USF, we demand it!

I'd find a more positive way to "protest".  I think most people in a position to change things at USF disregard the those that think booing helps...much like the flag-burners you reference...who really takes them seriously?  

Respectfully submitted for your consideration.

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480
  • Days Won:  0

My observations:

Sorry but are you actually using an example of burning the American flag as a defense for a person to boo? Wow, this country has completely gone to ****. It's not ok to boo our players....it should be CRIMINAL to burn the American flag. You are absolutely wrong in not judging someone as not patriotic that burns the flag, that flag is the very symbol of every right this country affords even the most selfish bastard as well as the blood that went into giving them that freedom. To burn it is to burn the very thread of America, so YES those that burn the flag are traitors and should be dealt with as such.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Also, I think it a bit presumptuous of you too suggest that those who boo are somehow disconnected or seperated from USF.  I don't think for a second you can accurately predict such a thing based on a boo...  

... We not only hope for greatness from USF, we demand it!

Actually, I don't think you're disconnected or separated but I do think you are misguided. We all want USF to succeed on the highest level so please explain what positive effects you think booing Bulls players have on the USF prgram that you demand greatness from?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,748
  • Content Count:  37,653
  • Days Won:  29

For those that choose to boo in protest Leavitt, it is a protest to the entire team - that is what is perceived. FACT!

If you want to protest directly to Leavitt, bring a sign.

In regrads to booing and perception. It has been about 25 years since Philly fans "boo'd Santa" ... the truth is that people were throwing snowballs or something and a large area was booing the other area. Perception is still that Philly fans boo'd Santa.

When I hear boos at The BULL Pen, I have no other thought than "why are "fans" booing USF?"

:P