• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OT: Gators Thomas reinstated after drug suspension

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Perhaps our "Trio" could have tried a similar defense???   :-?

Florida DT Thomas reinstated after suspension, will play Saturday  

Oct. 5, 2006

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports      

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Suspended defensive tackle Marcus Thomas has been reinstated and will play Saturday when No. 5 Florida hosts ninth-ranked LSU.

Thomas, who has three sacks, was suspended indefinitely last month for a second violation of the school's substance-abuse policy. Thomas appealed the suspension, saying both failed drug tests were the result of one night of marijuana use this summer.

A committee consisting of university personnel heard Thomas' appeal and recommended to amend his sanctions, Florida coach Urban Meyer said in a statement Thursday. Meyer said the recommendation was made independently by the committee and then approved by athletic director Jeremy Foley and school president Bernie Machen.

"Marcus still has some work ahead of him, but he has been granted the opportunity to play in the LSU game," Meyer said. "Beyond that, he will continue to have a set of responsibilities and obligations for which he will be held accountable."

After practice Thursday, Meyer said he was not sure if Thomas was ready to step right in after missing nearly three weeks of practice. But his return could help the Gators (5-0, 3-0 Southeastern Conference) against the Tigers (4-1, 1-1).

Thomas, a three-year starter who has 138 career tackles and 13 sacks, had been working out by himself before practice this week.

"I think he's a very good football player," Meyer said. "He's a good chemistry guy on the team. He's invested a lot into this program. Obviously, having him in here is going to help, but we also played pretty good without him. It's important. Is it the catchall? Absolutely not. We proved that the last couple weeks."

AP NEWS

The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved  

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

What a bunch of crap...how fortunate that he is back in time to play for the LSU game.  And what a bunch of crap that he said both positive test were from 1 night of smoking pot.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Like you didn't see this one coming.

PS - Wrong board.

• Topic Count:  217
  • Content Count:  2,495

Joe,

I added OT to the title.  

I realize this has little to do with USF, but I posted on the main board for the debate about how USF/UF has handled the same situation differently.

I see now, My fault cash.

I will say this. My understanding is both schools used the same system of appeal, where a committee made up of students, administrators, and professors decide the fate of the player. So there was no input (directly) from the football staff.

I'm sure the 3 used several defenses, but football just doesn't have the precedence at USF right now that it does at UF. I'm sure the fact that ESPN is making Gainesville the center of the college football universe helped too.

Just to note, I called my dad an razzed him this morning after reading it. He claims that the UF player is going to have to take weekly random drug tests etc and will be reevaluated weekly as a condition to playing.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657

Gee talk about what is wrong about college football and a real renegade program.

Players beating up their girlfriends, drug and academic suspensions etc....

Let's see if  Mikey "Douchebag" Bianchi writes about his outrage....

Guest R_to_the_izzo

That excuse is.... so retarded. First off, anyone who has been required to take drug tests, and have done marijuana before know, 10 days is about how long it stays in your system. It can stay longer if you: smoke daily, don't engage in physical activity (he's a football player) have a slow metabolism, etc...

This guy is getting off free to play vs LSU, let's see how many more times he gets cought smoking the pot.

• Topic Count:  483
  • Content Count:  2,923

I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Its very hard not to...perfect timing!

That said if Ponton, Julmiste, and Chambers got their suspensions upturned before UCF (or now for that matter) we'd all be justifying it like my father justifying the Gators doing it.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I see now, My fault cash.

I will say this. My understanding is both schools used the same system of appeal, where a committee made up of students, administrators, and professors decide the fate of the player. So there was no input (directly) from the football staff.

I'm sure the 3 used several defenses, but football just doesn't have the precedence at USF right now that it does at UF. I'm sure the fact that ESPN is making Gainesville the center of the college football universe helped too.

Just to note, I called my dad an razzed him this morning after reading it. He claims that the UF player is going to have to take weekly random drug tests etc and will be reevaluated weekly as a condition to playing.

By the way, our three also are forced to take weekly drug tests as part of their punishment.