• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

is usf still considered

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

The University of South Florida is a major Metropolitan Research 1 University

stop the commuter school BS titles... they don't talk about Metro Universities like that up north!  We arn't a "in the woods" university... we are placed in the city... hince METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY, not COMMUTER UNIVERSITY

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

oh-- and traditional Greek houses (rarely used by anyone but Greeks) and on campus stadiums (used 6-8 times a year for football itself). Yeah I know-- we have Greek Housing provided by the school-- but it really doesn't look like the typical plantation style you see at old ass schools.

Don't get me wrong-- it's a nice setup if you are trying to flee the parents and be independent. It's also nice in terms of an overall atmosphere (no competing with the other pro sports teams in town for attention) and being able to stroll around a huge campus. I don't need to walk around a campus all that much to feel like I'm at school. That's me though. And from what I've seen, USF has definitely improved that walk-around feel to the school far beyond what it was during the mid eighties to early nineties. Most people wouldn't even recognize MLK plaza anymore.

I like USF, but if there's one thing that bothers me it's walking to class from across fletcher.  Of course, I had to be a business major, making that walk about as far as possible.

I went to Miami before USF, and it was nice to wake up 10 minutes before class and still make it.  Perhaps the only thing I can think of that I liked better about Miami!

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307

Jim mentioned that the average age at USF was 27.  I must be going to the wrong campus (Tampa) because everyone in my classes (whether night classes or not) are around my age.  There is usually one person that is the outliar...and they're older, but not that many students were the avg age should be 27.  I had a class were there were 2 older students, but that's the most I've had while being at USF for what seems forever.  I would like to know where they come from.  I'm on campus ALL the time and I don't see them around.

I don't see how USF isn't a traditional campus.  The dorms are completely filled and all students live RIGHT behind the university.  USF even offers shuttles to the apartments, that how close they are.  Where we get this "commuter" status from is beyond me.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  3,403

I like USF, but if there's one thing that bothers me it's walking to class from across fletcher.  Of course, I had to be a business major, making that walk about as far as possible.

I went to Miami before USF, and it was nice to wake up 10 minutes before class and still make it.  Perhaps the only thing I can think of that I liked better about Miami!

yeah, but you could have easily lived on campus too.  I went to UF for a year and lived off campus and it was just as far as it is from where I am now to school.  I could have lived in a dorm there too.

that walk does suck though.  i onyl had a park and ride pass the first year and that walk to engineering was bad just from there.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

Jim mentioned that the average age at USF was 27.  I must be going to the wrong campus (Tampa) because everyone in my classes (whether night classes or not) are around my age.  There is usually one person that is the outliar...and they're older, but not that many students were the avg age should be 27.  I had a class were there were 2 older students, but that's the most I've had while being at USF for what seems forever.  I would like to know where they come from.  I'm on campus ALL the time and I don't see them around.

I mentioned the average age was around 25.

This is from USF, granted it's the 2002 numbers, but I wouldn't expect a phenomenal shift either way.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/InfoMart/Profile/2002profile/profile2002_03.pdf

...and this one:

http://ctr.usf.edu/sec/

with this

Average age of undergraduate students is 24;

graduate is 34; and non-degree seeking is 38.

A couple of things to factor in is that a lot of us on this

board are not students (haven't been for quite some time) and

a lot of the 'commuter' line of thinking comes from the history -

and our subjective experience back in the day - and a lot

depends on the college you're in.

COBA tends to have older students, in particular when it comes to MBA:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/03/emba_profiles/southfla.htm

...so you're probably at the right campus...just not the right classes... 8-)

Oh...and the reason you don't seem them around campus...for them,

[highlight]it is[/highlight] a commute.   :-*

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Here's a helpful link that shows USF's 2006 Profile and Facts.

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/infomart/eprofiles/currentprofile/eProfilesUSFSystem.htm

(Linked page shows info from all of the different campuses combined. There are links that will show the same profiles but for each individual campuses).

I think some of the "traditional" full-time students don't understand that one of the advantages of a large Metropolitian Univ...is that classes are being held ALL THE TIME...aka at night...on Saturdays, etc...for all different type of students.

Over 13,000 current USF students are either in Grad School or other non-degree programs. (30,000 are in undergraduate school).

Many of those classes take place at night/weekends, etc....

So yes..while UCF and USF have 43,000-45,000 plus students...almost 1/3 of them are not full-time undergraduate students.

KL

PS. Not all undergraduates go to school full-time either.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There are several "Commuter schools" up north you just don't talk about them down in Florida.

Cincinnati is a HUGE "commuter" school in a lot of peoples minds up here as is Toldeo and Wright State (the other public schools I'm familiar with).

The thing that separates Pitt, Ohio State, and UCLA from USF is the fact that a) They are top 100 schools and B) They are highly selective. They don't have the number of adults and night classes that we have.

It takes more than a few dorms to rid a "commuter" image. It all comes down to a national image of a school that kids want to go to for certain programs. USF is currently working towards that, but it will take years.