• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Those who say we have a bad stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I'm so tired of this "true" college football atmosphere elitist crap that some spew. You know what makes college football atmosphere? Fans, bands and players. You get 50-60K Bulls fans in that place with a BE championship on the line, you'll get all the college football atmosphere you want. Would it be nice to have the field painted and more pretty Bulls stuff around to look at? Of course, but it's not going to happen for a good while so just enjoy the time in one of the best football stadiums in the country and quit ********.

Only thing I would change would be to have less canned music and more USF band stuff ........... but only if they play LOUDER.   ;)

I'll agree with you there. Florida and UGA make Alltel into a great atmosphere every year.

That being said, it's there cavernous stadium that bugs me. Honestly it will be 15-20 years before we're filling it with 65,000 people consistently. The stadium just gets that empty feeling when we play.

The whole makeup of the stadium bugs me, I just hate NFL type stadiums. We don't need 170 suites, we don't need cup holders...honestly, we don't need a crappy pirate ship.

I do know there is nothing we can do about it now, as it's a financial decision. There is NO doubt in my mind that we'll have plans within 10 years or so for one.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Of course, but it's not going to happen for a good while so just enjoy the time in one of the best football stadiums in the country and quit ********.

I'm so tired of this "true" college football atmosphere elitist crap that some spew.

:-?

Hmmmmm...........can we say, "Pot calling the kettle black"??

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

college football is what I'm watching-- not the paint on the field or the other things people feel are necessary to have a college atmosphere.

It takes time and money to paint the field. Why should we waste that kind of cash when we are still working towards so many other things? You want it changed-- donate money specifically to that cause. Personally- Isee it as money down the drain.

• Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

college football is what I'm watching-- not the paint on the field or the other things people feel are necessary to have a college atmosphere.

Plus, we have souvenir cups ..... What more could you ask for??

Guest JulmisteForPrez
You want it changed-- donate money specifically to that cause. Personally- Isee it as money down the drain.

You know what the EPITOME of "pouriing money down the drain" is?  Giving UNGODLY amounts of the proceeds USF gets from home games (parking, concessions, flat game fee, etc.) to the Glazers, Sports Authority, or whoever else they give those millions every year to.

Let's not talk about "pouring money down the drain" again, shall we?

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Days Won:  0

(Note: I've never heard ANY college or NFL Fan call RJS a "bad" stadium)

Here's a good ranking by Dennis Dodd (CBSsportsline.com) who ranked the Top 25 College Football Stadiums using 4 different criteria: KEY: Atmosphere, History, Tradition, & Architecture.

[highlight]I can't find one College Team on that list that plays in a current NFL Stadium.[/highlight]

What are these schools listed here doing so wrong?

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6437023

The Top 25 Stadiums Ratings Breakdown  

Rk School (Stadium) Atmo Hist Trad Fans Arch Total  

1 Texas A&M (Kyle Field) 10 9 10 10 9 48  

2 Notre Dame (Notre Dame Stadium) 10 10 10 9 8 47  

3 Tennessee (Neyland Stadium) 10 9 10 10 7 46  

4 Florida (Ben Hill Griffin Stadium) 10 8.5 9.5 10 7.5 45.5  

5 LSU (Tiger Stadium) 10 8.5 9 10 7.5 45  

6 Nebraska (Memorial Stadium) 9 9.5 9 9 8 44.5  

7 Florida State (Doak Campbell Stadium) 9 8 10 9 8 44  

8 Alabama (Bryant-Denny Stadium) 9 9 9.5 9 7 43.5  

9 Auburn (Jordan-Hare Stadium) 9 9 9 9 7 43  

10 Georgia (Sanford Stadium) 10 8 9 9 6 42  

(see link for complete rankings)

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6437023

Did you read the entire list? Did you see USC and UCLA, both playing in pro stadiums? And many ranking such as this also have the Orange Bowl (even in its current crappy shape) listed among the lower top-25, for sheer big-game atmosphere alone. Most of the other schools listed are in non-metropolitan areas with no pro facilities around.  

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

You want it changed-- donate money specifically to that cause. Personally- Isee it as money down the drain.

You know what the EPITOME of "pouriing money down the drain" is?  Giving UNGODLY amounts of the proceeds USF gets from home games (parking, concessions, flat game fee, etc.) to the Glazers, Sports Authority, or whoever else they give those millions every year to.

Let's not talk about "pouring money down the drain" again, shall we?

That's the deal-- you have another venue readily available for us to play in? What's that? No? yeah-- thought so.

USF has done everything within reason to make it a college atmosphere. Some things they can't control. Short of spending MILLIONS on a new and lesser stadium, what do you propose? I get the impression you aren't about to buy USF a stadium since you can't even bother to fork over the $5,000 per game it costs to paint the endzones etc.

It's pretty obvious what your angle is-- you want an OCS regardless of the finances and logistics involved. You want everything yesterday. Welcome to the real world where we don't always get what we want and we make due and plan on ways to make our situation better. Have some freaking patience and put down the ***** stick for a day.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Ugh...Let's go through this again. USC's stadium is "off campus" however it's like saying MOSI is off campus.  Most the dorms can see the stadium out of the window. And the collisuem is as far from a pro stadium as you can get, it has no amenities that pro teams say they need.

The Rose Bowl...college football's crown jewel? A pro stadium? Just because the Rams played there for a few seasons doesn't mean it's a pro stadium.

I do agree though most these school have to have their own stadiums, because there is nothing around. I just generally hate NFL stadiums and I hate the deal we have with TSA, and I hate the tailgating rules.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

People, people, people, you need to realize that playing at RJS is ONE of the many reasons for our teams meteroic rise to prominence onto the national scene. It is a great recruiting tool, as a local or state HS player gets to bask in the glow of the BEST stadium facilities around.

Yes it would be nice to have an OCS and all the bells, whistles, and $$$ that comes with it, but in the meantime RJS has greatly and will continue to greatly help our fledgling program.

I personally do not want to settle for a cut-rate, half-@ssed OCS. When the time does come to build one, in the next decade or so, I want it to be state of the art and top of the line. The envy of all those that come in to play. Until then.....sit back and relax in the creature comforts of RJS.

For those who want the "college feel", do not go into the Club Area prior to, during, or after the game. Pretend to wait in line 10 minutes to use the bathroom. Pretend to wait in line 30 minutes to get a beer. Then you can get that "college feel".  ;)

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

I didn't miss the point.  I started a thread on how good Ray Jay is.  I never once felt the need to make it about an On Campus Stadium.  I think we're lucky to have that stadium at this point in our existence.  Down the road, I'm sure it will change, but for now Ray Jay is better than fine.

Side Note:  I've been to 5 of the so called Top 10 College Stadiums on that list.  The ONLY thing that makes those stadiums good is that they are On Campus.