• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Three Starters Facing Suspensions

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Don't shoot the messenger!

Three Starters Facing Suspensions

By BRETT MCMURPHY and GREGG BECNEL

Published: Aug 26, 2006

TAMPA Three projected starters for the University of South Florida  running back Ricky Ponton, wide receiver Jackie Chambers and defensive end Josh Julmiste  will miss this season's first two games and possibly the first six games after because of a second positive drug test.

Chambers and Julmiste told The Tampa Tribune they have appealed to have their suspensions reduced from six games to two. games. Ponton said he was told by USF Coach Jim Leavitt not to comment, but USF sources said Ponton also has appealed his suspension.

"The appeal process takes two or three weeks; next week is the third week [since the appeal]," Chambers said. "I made a mistake. I'm just a human being. Everybody makes mistakes."

The appeals are based on a recent change in the school's substance-abuse policy, reducing the percentage of games missed for a second positive test from 50 percent of the team's games to 20 percent.

"It was supposed to be six games, but it's [been appealed] to be only the first two games," Julmiste said. "Right now it looks like only the first two games  McNeese State and FIU."

During the 2005-06 school year, USF's substance-abuse policy stated an athlete with a second positive test would be suspended from 50 percent of the team's games. If the athlete's second positive test occurred after the regular season, ended, the suspension carried over to the next season.

However, for the 2006-07 school year, which begins Monday, the penalty for a second positive test will be reduced to only a suspension from 20 percent of the team's games.

While not talking specifically about Ponton, Chambers and Julmiste, USF associate athletic director AD Barry Clements, the administrator of USF's sports medicine department, said a football player testing that tested positive for a second time after the Dec..31 Meineke Car Care Bowl and before the 2006-07 school year would be suspended for 50 percent of games in the 2006 season. However, "anything can be appealed," Clements said.

"If anybody did [violate team rules]," Leavitt said, "I wouldn't tell you anyway. I wouldn't even tell you if a guy violated any rules. It would never happen. That's between me and this football team."

USF assistant athletic director John Gerdes said "we will announce any suspensions when we deem appropriate."

The substance-abuse policy indicates a student-athlete may appeal a positive test, but doesn't address reducing the length of a suspension.

Any appeal would be heard by a three-person committee  USF's dean of students Tom Miller, associate AD for compliance Steve Horton and USF's faculty representative for athletics Suresh Khator. The committee forwards its recommendation to Athletic Director Doug Woolard, whose decision is final.

The reduction in the percentage of games suspended from 50 to 20 percent for the 2006-07 school year was approved by Woolard based on a recommendation from Clements, assistant AD Steve Walz and USF's sports medicine staff, Clements said.

"I'm hurt I let my team down," Chambers said. "I let my coaches down. I just have a lot of things I have to do right."

After a second positive test, USF athletes can continue practicing with approval from Woolard and the respective head coach. All three players have been practicing since USF's initial practice on Aug..7.

Ponton, Chambers and Julmiste each completed spring drills as the projected starter at their respective positions. However, they are no longer mentioned among the first two units by Leavitt or their respective position coaches.

Ponton, a sophomore from Hillsborough High, was slated to replace senior Andre Hall after rushing for 373 yards as Hall's backup last season. This fall, Leavitt said Ponton isn't among USF's top three or four backs.

Ponton said he has he's been slowed by a left hamstring injury.

"It's always tough to get hurt deep in two-a-days," Ponton said. "It's kind of rough to deal with it mentality and physically, but trainer Steve [Walz] is getting me back in the groove. I should be good to go in a little while."

Julmiste, a sophomore from Miramar and the younger brother of senior quarterback Pat Julmiste, started one game last season. He was expected to replace graduated senior Jon Simmons, but is behind junior walk-on Treco Bellamy and freshman Aaron Harris, Leavitt said.

Chambers, a junior from Miami Edison, started 11 games last season at receiver and was the Big East's leading punt returner. Senior Ean Randolph has replaced Chambers as USF's punt returner, Leavitt said.

All USF student-athletes are subject to random drug tests. There is no suspension for a first positive test, but the athletes are required to attend counseling and will be tested on a regular basis for the remainder of their USF careers.

While the players' second positive test occurred in the past eight months, it's unknown when their first positive tests occurred. A third positive test results in an athlete losing their remaining eligibility at USF and they are removed from scholarship.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBW768PCRE.html

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  505
  • Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

Stupid asses!  Yes I know they are just kids and I should be more understanding.....blah...blah... We do not need this!

• Topic Count:  191
  • Content Count:  2,363
  • Days Won:  0

*sigh* we all love the green and gold... let's keep going for the gold and stay away from the green, fellas.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah mon, come to USF and smoke out, its great mon. >:(

Thanks for getting the story Brett.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

They did let their team down ... and their fans!

Knew it is wrong - STRIKE ONE

Did it and got caught - STRIKE TWO

Then get caught another time . . . STRIKE THREE...

just plain selfish.  >:(

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991

Maybe its the same stuff Barry & Company took?  Any link to Anderson and Balco?

• Topic Count:  826
  • Content Count:  10,874
  • Days Won:  2

They should lose their scholarships and team eligibility after a second positive drug test, not the third.  Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I agree,  once is a mistake.   2 is unacceptable.  They aren't stupid, they know what they're doing. >:(

• Topic Count:  151
  • Content Count:  2,719

I know college is a place to try different things and I will respect the arguments about how they are kids and we all tried things in college but most of us weren't student-athletes and weren't tested for drugs.  It seems to me that USF's football team is becoming synonymous with pot.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

"If anybody did [violate team rules]," Leavitt said, "I wouldn't tell you anyway. I wouldn't even tell you if a guy violated any rules. It would never happen. That's between me and this football team."  

USF assistant athletic director John Gerdes said "we will announce any suspensions when we deem appropriate."

Good for them .......... Screw the press on stuff like this.