• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Qb Situation a Yelling Affair!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  260
  • Days Won:  0

TAMPA - Want to know who will be the University of South Florida's starting quarterback in the season opener against McNeese State? Then just listen up.

"The starter," USF coach Jim Leavitt said, "will probably be the person I holler at the least."

With USF's season opener 24 days away, not even Leavitt knows who will be his starting quarterback between senior Pat Julmiste or redshirt freshman Matt Grothe. Both players say they know.

"I know I'm the starter; that's what I feel, that's what I'm going by," Julmiste said. "You're going to see a different Pat Julmiste this season."

Countered Grothe: "I know I can win the job. I know I can work hard enough to get it."

Despite the competition, they said they remain friends. "You wouldn't know we were competing for the same position," Grothe said.

The only clear-cut advantage is Julmiste's experience. Julmiste has won 12 of 23 starts the past two years.

"Pat has been in a lot of football games - good and bad - and he's won a lot of big games for us," USF offensive coordinator Rod Smith said. "At times Pat gets a whole lot more blame and credit than he deserves, but he has to be better than what he was last year for us to have a chance to win."

What is Smith looking for from his starter?

"He will be the most consistent person on the field," Smith said. "That's what we've been preaching from this position the past two years and we haven't had that as much as we want. That's not a shot at any of our quarterbacks, they all know that.

"We have to have someone that's consistent and isn't going to turn the ball over, just run the show. We don't need a superstar, but he has to be a leader."

In the past two years, the Bulls are 9-4 when Julmiste attempts 21 or fewer passes, but 1-9 when he attempts 22 or more passes.

Sophomore defensive end Josh Julmiste said his brother isn't affected by the criticism.

"He's handled it good as far as the controversy at quarterback, from starting to not starting, bad games, whatever," Josh Julmiste said. "He took it on the chin, took criticism and got better. I can't recall a time I've seen him down about it."

Pat Julmiste said he's even more motivated in his final season after the birth of his son, Jeremiah Patrick, on July 5.

Former USF quarterback Marquel Blackwell got a look at Julmiste this summer when they worked out together.

"It's a matter of Pat calming down and executing," Blackwell said. "[Former USC quarterback] Carson Palmer had three bad years and then a dynamite senior year. One thing about Pat, he's going to do whatever he can do to get better. I'll be his biggest fan."

While Smith touted Julmiste's experience and leadership, he said Grothe has a good presence.

"He was a winner in high school [at Lake Gibson], but he's yet to prove it on the college field," Smith said. "There are certain things he does that excite you about the kid. He's a freshman, he's going to make mistakes.

"We have to be patient, but at the same time we can't be patient. It's a catch-22. But we're putting the pressure on him now, getting him ready to play as soon as possible."

Grothe was redshirted last season and came to USF as the "other" quarterback along with highly touted Carlton Hill. Last season Hill played sparingly, while Grothe watched. "I don't think I was ready at all last season," he said.

A year later, Grothe said he's ready and is the one in position to start, while Hill has transferred to a junior college.

"That doesn't bother me if people don't think about me," Grothe said. "I'll get my day to shine and they can see what I can do."

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGBHG016NQE.html

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

may the best man win............................... GO GROTHE

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Grothe

Grothe

Grothe

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,666
  • Days Won:  29

8-)

GrothE

;D Glad we are in agreement  ;)

• Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  401

Julmiste

I love his resilience

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

Julmiste

I love his resilience

resilience = 10 wins 13 losses

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

the backup QB is always the fan favorite!

still grothe is the future i hope he wins the job or at the very least gets tons of playing time.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Julmiste

I love his resilience

resilience = 10 wins 13 losses

If only he could translate some of that "resilience" into "calmness" as Blackwell suggests.  If PJ would quit getting happy feet and/or rocketing the ball off target, I'd bet he'd at least complete closer to 2/3 of his passes instead of 1/2.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

MG....the Courtney Denson of the 2006 season.  Everyone clamoring for him yet noone has actually seen him perform in a regular season college game.     ::)