• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Time to take off your green and gold glasses

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I know when every game is as well, but there isint enough marketing on campus to get the causal fan. The one thing we need to do is get greek life involved, go to the dorms etc. Even when I was at FAU we had signs all over campus when there was a home game. The energy at games comes from the student section. THE AD NEEDS TO MAKE SURE WE HAVE STUDENTS IN THAT SECTION.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

he does make ONE good point...

Like I've said before, it is amazing what one energetic, outreaching coach can do.  

Everyone is going to love this example... but oh well

Tennessee basketball was DEAD coming into this season.  Bruce Pearl comes in, meets with anyone that will listen and gets up on tables in the cafeterias making speeches to the students during lunch before pretty much EVERY game.  First game of the year, there are 20,000+ people at the game and this is BEFORE all the bandwagon fans came along when the team was winning.  Win a couple games and boosters come out of nowhere with blank checks.  UT had been trying to build a bball practice facility for a while and now it is completely funded.

If USF could land an exuberant, outreaching football or mbb coach or even AD, it would do wonders for the athletics program as a whole.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

t_k983.jpg

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

canofworms2.jpg

BTW, this buffoon quotes Bob Costas as some kind of a star witness ........ I guess Marv Albert was tied up .... literally.

Actually, his depiction and quote of Bob Costas is wrong.  This guy should be charged with slander because it was misleading how he's representing Bob Costas.  You all do realize that Bob Costas sits on the BOT for St. Louis University and was one of Doug Woolard's biggest advocates.  In fact Doug and Bob Costas are good friends (so all of you guys that dislike Bob Costas' reporting can insert your insults here).

That quote is slanderous, and that fact changing little piece of worm dung writer was slanderously using only a portion of a quote, the quote used was actually followed up immediately by Bob showering Doug with praise...basically saying you wouldn't expect this guy from initial look to be as charasmatic, engaging, and successful.  This was in all the newspapers during the hiring process.

I love this and how someone can be so judgemental having never met half these individuals.  Anyone that's met Leavitt in person would talk about how engaging he is, IN FACT, many people will tell you point blank is he's the reason they're donating or supporting USF!  Urban Meyer got 45k at UF is a big deal?  UHHH, someone needs to tell this worm dung that 3 years ago Ron Zook had 60k attend, and UF regularly has over 30k at their spring games.  MORE TO THE POINT, Leavitt being able to put more than 4,000 in the stands (out doing Miami and equalling FSU) for spring games two years in a row is MORE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone should remind this piece of worm dung that our women's soccer coach once was an assistant for the national team, our women's softball coach was an assistant for the Olympic team.  I believe that immediate change is necessary in baseball, and hoops is on the verge but that hardly gives this smuck carte blanche to make blatantly slanderous and inaccurate depictions of individuals and a program.

Someone should also tell him about this tiny guy we retained in the Athletic Department who's been voted into the college and pro football HOF, selected as one of the nicest guys in football, and has a Freeway named after him.  This little dude has raised more money over the last 7 years for USF athletics then this poor piece of worm dung will ever see in a lifetime.

I don't mind truthful articles, I do not like blatant attempts to warp the truth.  Just because someone hates how hoops is going doesn't mean you should be allowed to drag everyone down.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I'll take off my glasses and shove em' right up this guys A$$.

LOL..Well said...

If you think the Ath. Dept. is bad now, what do you think it was like 20 years ago before football and all the associated press and coverage received now?  I still made every home hoops game.  You just got to get off your arse and go.  I guess students nowadays have been raised to think someone else is responsible for them...Do your teachers come calling on you at your dorm to make sure you go to class?

An article with valid issues, not valid points.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

he does make ONE good point...

Like I've said before, it is amazing what one energetic, outreaching coach can do.  

Everyone is going to love this example... but oh well

Tennessee basketball was DEAD coming into this season.  Bruce Pearl comes in, meets with anyone that will listen and gets up on tables in the cafeterias making speeches to the students during lunch before pretty much EVERY game.  First game of the year, there are 20,000+ people at the game and this is BEFORE all the bandwagon fans came along when the team was winning.  Win a couple games and boosters come out of nowhere with blank checks.  UT had been trying to build a bball practice facility for a while and now it is completely funded.

If USF could land an exuberant, outreaching football or mbb coach or even AD, it would do wonders for the athletics program as a whole.  

They have one- Leavitt.  The problem is people OVER-ESTIMATE the interest in USF athletics.  Sure UT it's easy, go ra-ra the folks up and you can easily get 20k alum in Knoxville (with nothing else to do) to come out for a few games.

NOW, i will agree that having another more exuberant coach than Leavitt maybe coaching hoops would do wonders for the athletic department.  Leavitt needs help from the hoops side.  CRM's never going to knock people over with the ra-ra stuff so he's going to have to win a helluva lot of games for people to get excited.  Maybe not what some USF fans want to hear.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

They have one- Leavitt.  The problem is people OVER-ESTIMATE the interest in USF athletics.  Sure UT it's easy, go ra-ra the folks up and you can easily get 20k alum in Knoxville (with nothing else to do) to come out for a few games.

NOW, i will agree that having another more exuberant coach than Leavitt maybe coaching hoops would do wonders for the athletic department.  Leavitt needs help from the hoops side.  CRM's never going to knock people over with the ra-ra stuff so he's going to have to win a helluva lot of games for people to get excited.  Maybe not what some USF fans want to hear.

Leavitt did an event at the Bull Ring and comingles with fans and students, Florida and Florida State charge money to see their coach when they come to town. The reason for the lack of attendance has NOTHING to do with CJL not reaching out, it has to do with lack of interest from current students and alumni. We have a SOLID group of core fans and then you those who have no interest, the problem is we are lacking in the happy medium of regular  fans.

Comparing us to Florida is stupid though they have a waiting list for season tix and a program that has been around for over 100 years...

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

You had higher expectations?

Blown out? I don't think so ....... Shut out by a defense with three first round players is more like it. 

Do you ever use actual facts in your rants? I don't think anyone is slobbering over themselves JUST because of that one win ....... You won't admit it but we were competitive in most of our BE games with Chris Capko as our point guard. The more astute of us would like to see what can be done with a more rounded squad.

Yes, everything stated in my "rant" was a fact.

Oh you're right.  NC State did have 3 players drafted in the 1st round, my bad.  That means they must have been able to shut out a bunch of other teams too.  We're NOT mediocre and couldn't possibly be the only ones right?  Wrong.  Looks to me like the didn't shut anybody else out last season.  As a matter of fact they gave up 27 points to that powerhouse Wake Forest team, 31 to UNC (who most on this board have already chalked up as a win next season  ::)), 17 to a crappy CUSA So. Miss team, 10 to that ever scary ECU team.  Gosh, Middle Tennesse State even managed to score 3 points!   But you're right, we shouldn't have higher expectations.   ::)   Enough "facts" for you?

My expectations?  Pre-season expectations don't matter.  Before the Uconn game when we were 6-3 were your expectations for us to finish 6-6?  Wait, you're a Mac supporter, they probably were.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Yes, everything stated in my "rant" was a fact.
1)We made the muffler bowl after going an unimpressive 6-5, only to get blown out by a very mediocre NC State team.

2)We go winless for the entire BE season until the last game and everybody is slobbering all iover themselves because we managed to win that ONE game....ONE GAME!

We have a different understanding of the definition for "fact" ...

You can blather all you want but we were NOT blown out by NCSU and the one win last year was NOT what the good guys were slobbering over ....

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Oh you're right.  NC State did have 3 players drafted in the 1st round, my bad.  That means they must have been able to shut out a bunch of other teams too.  We're NOT mediocre and couldn't possibly be the only ones right?  Wrong.  Looks to me like the didn't shut anybody else out last season.  As a matter of fact they gave up 27 points to that powerhouse Wake Forest team, 31 to UNC (who most on this board have already chalked up as a win next season  ::)), 17 to a crappy CUSA So. Miss team, 10 to that ever scary ECU team.  Gosh, Middle Tennesse State even managed to score 3 points!   But you're right, we shouldn't have higher expectations.   ::)   Enough "facts" for you?

You do realize that we could have averted the shut out. Would that have made you happy? ........ and who said we weren't mediocre? Not I ......... another "fact" you got wrong.

My expectations?  Pre-season expectations don't matter.

Of course they don't because that wouldn't give you a chance to ***** and moan about how the season ended ....

Before the Uconn game when we were 6-3 were your expectations for us to finish 6-6?  Wait, you're a Mac supporter, they probably were.

Actualy, I didn't EXPECT to win the UCon game so the 6-6 finish was not that big of a surprise to me. Did YOU expect to win the UConn game and the WVU game and the bowl game at that point?